5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory warranty after installing level/lift

Reaction score
Hey guys I am curious about my powertrain warranty on my truck if I go ahead and install a lift or level. I like what I see on the ready lift 3.5” sst as I can get that at a better price than the mopar 2” level lift. So will installing the lift void warranty. Does anyone have any input on this issue? B8D9B3FE-D5F7-4F8B-9EAD-9303DD20A7B2.jpeg

Last edited:

sjsleuth

Reaction score
Hey guys I am curious about my powertrain warranty on my truck if I go ahead and install a lift or level. I like what I see on the ready lift 3.5” sst as I can get that at a better price than the mopar 2” level lift. So will installing the lift void warranty. Does anyone have any input on this issue? View attachment 32806
My neighbor just did it and he asked the service manager first. They said level or lift won't effect the warranty.

downsjh

Reaction score
It’s typically very specific. If a component fails because the truck was lifted, they could void that specific failure. This is the law. However, I don’t have any first hand experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added air bag tow helpers and my truck broke and they refused to fix my leaking shock even though I had pictures of the shock leaking prior to the installation. A TOW HELPER MADE A SHOCK LEAK? lmao I fought with them and chrysler for days and I just gave up and bought bilsteins on my 2500. It really depends on the service advisor.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
I spent the last 7 years working for an FCA dealership. The warranty is very specific for FCA and it says that if the aftermarket component caused the issue there is no coverage. Lifts and level kits were done at our shop all the time. The preferred brand was BDS and is warranty approved by FCA up to a specific size of lift. Dealerships steuggle to have warranty work approved is simply because their warranty administrator is often not very well trained. Hope this helps.

fastlanez

Reaction score
Well, the 3 folks above me are 100% correct. I have an aftermarket 2” level kit on my truck with 3500 miles. My front right shock is now leaking and the truck bottoms out and bounces. Took it to the dealership this past Friday 8/23 and spoke to the GM, she called her head tech and they said since you have a level on the truck, it does void the warranty and the repair would have to come out my pocket. However, the GM took me to the side and was cool enough to say look, it’s a new truck and the shock could have been defected. Have the level removed, come back and we will replace. So, I have an appt to have it removed from the original installer tomorrow, and I will not put another level or lift kit on this truck outside of Mopar, even though the price is 5x higher. Just not worth the headache of incurring the cost of any suspension components and labor.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
Well, the 3 folks above me are 100% correct. I have an aftermarket 2” level kit on my truck with 3500 miles. My front right shock is now leaking and the truck bottoms out and bounces. Took it to the dealership this past Friday 8/23 and spoke to the GM, she called her head tech and they said since you have a level on the truck, it does void the warranty and the repair would have to come out my pocket. However, the GM took me to the side and was cool enough to say look, it’s a new truck and the shock could have been defected. Have the level removed, come back and we will replace. So, I have an appt to have it removed from the original installer tomorrow, and I will not put another level or lift kit on this truck outside of Mopar, even though the price is 5x higher. Just not worth the headache of incurring the cost of any suspension components and labor.
Aftermarket and performance mods are fun but the warranty is worth keeping. Once its up, let her buck. Part of the vehicle price you pay is for the warranty that the truck comes with. I believe its worth keeping even if it means being patient to do the goodies to the truck.

R

Rob5589

The spacer didn't cause the shock to leak. For the price you are going to pay to have the lift removed, you may as well buy a shock, have it installed, and leave the lift. Or not.

The bigger concern should be the increased half shaft and ball joint angles. Those items will be more headache and a hell of a lot more expensive to fix than a shock.

fastlanez

Reaction score
The truck will be ready today with level kit removal and I will have the dealership install the new shock(s) and eventually get the Mopar level or lift kit. It’s about $1300 for the full 2” lift, (GM says she will give me their employee cost with 25% off whatever i do). Still haven’t seen a Mopar level kit for the new 2019. I agree with @brody.cepeaux in that having a warranty on a new truck like this is vital.

fastlanez

Reaction score
The spacer didn't cause the shock to leak. For the price you are going to pay to have the lift removed, you may as well buy a shock, have it installed, and leave the lift. Or not.

The bigger concern should be the increased half shaft and ball joint angles. Those items will be more headache and a hell of a lot more expensive to fix than a shock.

I agree 100%. I had spacers on my last 2 pickups, and never an issue. I honestly believe that the installer had more to do with it than anything. The day I picked up the truck I told them this thing riding hard and bouncing to much. It was apparent then the shock was gone. But they will never cop to that.

Users who are viewing this thread