5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory trailer brake controller - can it work automatically below 15 mph?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I expect the HD brake controller is the same.

Here's a a link to a comprehensive technical evaluation done by one of our HDRAMS members. Original link to HDRAMS thread is in there as well.

ManBOOYA

Reaction score
I expect the HD brake controller is the same.

Here's a a link to a comprehensive technical evaluation done by one of our HDRAMS members. Original link to HDRAMS thread is in there as well.

There is a ton of information in that post

Next time I try towing I’m going to try some of the other settings (heavy electric etc ) to see if there is a difference or if there is some kind of short causing the issue

Gixxers

Reaction score
Does anyone know if ram has a fix for this, I just purchased a 2022 last week and the trailer brakes drop off at 15mph truck has 800 miles so far

n8zcc

Reaction score
My factory trailer brake controller stops working when my speed drops to 15 mph and below.
Actually, the ITBM starts reducing the braking signal to the trailer when travel speeds fall below 30 MPH. I first noticed this on my 2015 and RAM introduced a software update in November of 2015 for the ABS and trailer brake module which altered the braking behavior but still pulled back braking as travel speed fell below 30 MPH.

Just about every RAM forum has a discussion like this for each MY since this issue first appeared with the 2015 ITBM.

If anyone is interested in actually watching what the ITBM outputs, get one of these devices and watch (in amazement) the braking signals.

1658065937284.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread