5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory tow hooks

Toxic1

Reaction score
Good morning,
First post here.....I have a new 1500 Ram Laramie that did not come with the factory front tow hooks. I found a set on CL from a guy that removed them to install a plow. My question is, there is one 18mm bolt in my frame that will go through the rubber grommet with the steel washer attached on the tow hook. Can anyone tell me how to remove that bolt to run it through the rubber grommet? It appears to be long and seemed like it had something still holding it when unthreaded and loose.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^this. I had to hammer on mine pretty good to break the retaining ring loose.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good morning,
First post here.....I have a new 1500 Ram Laramie that did not come with the factory front tow hooks. I found a set on CL from a guy that removed them to install a plow. My question is, there is one 18mm bolt in my frame that will go through the rubber grommet with the steel washer attached on the tow hook. Can anyone tell me how to remove that bolt to run it through the rubber grommet? It appears to be long and seemed like it had something still holding it when unthreaded and loose.
Yes it has a captive washer way up in there. Some people use the hammer and vice-grip method. I used a small construction prybar and two by four scrap. There are a couple of old threads on here with a lot of details and pictures. Basically, pull real hard and it will come out.

Toxic1

Reaction score
Yes it has a captive washer way up in there. Some people use the hammer and vice-grip method. I used a small construction prybar and two by four scrap. There are a couple of old threads on here with a lot of details and pictures. Basically, pull real hard and it will come out.
thank you!

UnclJim

Reaction score
if you just loosen the bolt you will be able to slide the hook on around the grommet with a slight push.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI - I have added and removed the tow hooks a few times as I changed trucks and just removed them again the other day. I was reminded that sometimes the long bolt you are referencing comes out with a fair amount of dirty/rusty water when you pull on it so keep your face and eyes clear and be ready for a bit of a mess possibly!

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of good info here. One more thing to add...don't forget the tow hook bezel covers for the bumper if your rig didn't come with tow hooks from the factory
c28f7dc6fe5a6b05018e1e2ab18ad234.jpg

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Toxic1

Reaction score
FYI - I have added and removed the tow hooks a few times as I changed trucks and just removed them again the other day. I was reminded that sometimes the long bolt you are referencing comes out with a fair amount of dirty/rusty water when you pull on it so keep your face and eyes clear and be ready for a bit of a mess possibly!
very good info.....lol

Toxic1

Reaction score
Lots of good info here. One more thing to add...don't forget the tow hook bezel covers for the bumper if your rig didn't come with tow hooks from the factory

So I'm reading, good info and friendly people looking to answer and help out wherever they can. I was able to get a set of those in the above picture so should be all set now.

Toxic1

Reaction score
Going to be looking at adding a few things that my truck didn't come with......planned on ordering one but when I found out they dropped the Eco Diesel in January I had to settle for one I could find with as much of what I wanted. Still can't believe they dropped Blind spot off a Laramie....that's most likely the next thing I would like to add.

hockeyboy

Reaction score

Older thread I know, but I'm doing this now. The tow hook bezels I have don't have those little nubs on the bottom, they have slots like the top. Anyone else have this? Should I get some of the bolts that hold the top in place to also use in the bottom? Also, does anyone know what size the shorter bolt is that holds on the tow hooks. I bought some hooks to install, but I don't have the shorter bolt.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Older thread I know, but I'm doing this now. The tow hook bezels I have don't have those little nubs on the bottom, they have slots like the top. Anyone else have this? Should I get some of the bolts that hold the top in place to also use in the bottom? Also, does anyone know what size the shorter bolt is that holds on the tow hooks. I bought some hooks to install, but I don't have the shorter bolt.

IIRC my blanks had the little bolts and clips on them, and I transferred them to the tow hook bezels. If they've revised the parts, YMMV.

The short bolts I used were 6508668AA M14x2.00x45, which Ram's website said won't fit my truck but do. As opposed to the ones they said would fit but don't.

Toxic1

Reaction score
I ordered the OEM bezels and they had the nubs, and the same with the short bolts for the tow hooks, got OEM and they fit perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread