5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory running boards: worth it?

jastevenson

Reaction score
Factory running boards cost $795 (or $995 if ordered as part of the chrome package).

Any thoughts on whether it is a good deal, or better to get aftermarket boards? I am happy with the looks of the factory boards, just annoyed that I need to spend $800 when they were standard on my old F-150 (with a much lower MSRP).

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with aftermarket and like them much more. I go the go rhino RB10s for $450.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, definitely in my case. Although I didn’t pay anywhere close to $800, paid just a tad over $400 for my Mopar factory boards. Love the way they look, especially with the RAM logo front and back.

F5CA7B95-6895-416E-8D77-E9E6587EDEC0.png CA40C6E7-C713-484C-B478-E82F8DB0A021.png

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Don't get caught up with OEM boards, there are a lot of options. I purchased the boards as post #3 at Christmas with free shipping for $390, patience pays.
November 2019 the OEM boards were not available and I put an ebay $160 set on. I've grown to like them and have yet to install the OEM.

Do some searching on this forum. Installation is not that bad. Paint on the studs was a problem, not sure of the newer models.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but I had the factory running boards installed at the point of sale. When I seen them I didn't like them because they were composite with steel attach points. When picking up my truck from Great Lakes Line X (great company), low and behold an Identical Ram that had just been sprayed sitting next to mine. This one had aftermarket boards. I told the Line X guy that I liked those boards better. He said the composite boards will outlast any steel board on the market (they sell and install aftermarket boards). After that I like my Mopar boards much better.

parnine

Reaction score
running boards are a very easy install so no need for factory or dealer and their prices. As others have said, lots of aftermarket options, but if you like the MOPAR (factory) ones they can be found for much less than the $800, and also look for some 'new but used' ones from folks who take them off thier trucks as they don't like MOPAR ones and put on different ones.

nburd

Reaction score
I must say, I was never a fan of OEM boards due to cost. But my Ram ones, have no deflection at all. Others that I have seen, especially aftermarket on my son's Warlock and F150 and my '13 1500, bend down when you step on them. I am sure there are many that do not, but the Ram ones are built nice and solid. I believe they are aluminum with a covering so they will not corrode. If my truck did not come with them, I would not have paid $695 for them, but very glad they were part of the package. For $400, as noted above, they are worth the price. They do tuck into the rocker very nicely.

STR

Reaction score
The RAM logo is a nice touch. I would’ve prefer if it was little closer to the body, but it’s very functional as is... I’ve had others where I was constantly hitting my foot/toe against the rockers. I have yet to do that w/the Mopar boards.

Users who are viewing this thread