5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Order Price

drm827

Reaction score
Hello all,

New member and tried looking this up in other threads but didn’t see anything. Apologize if it exists somewhere.
Looking for info on factory order pricing. I live in Illinois and the four dealers I’ve contacted say that rebates/incentives are applied at time of delivery since that is considered the purchase. They’ve offered to give me a price on the build, but what does that really give me if I don’t know what the incentives/rebates will be at delivery? Seems like I’d be going in to the purchase blind.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Call the dealership fleet manager first. Tell him you want to order a truck and if you would get the same deals on lot trucks. I don't believe you will, at least not for all incentives, since some are based on moving vehicles on the floor. But at least you will get an idea on what they can give you.

The fleet manager is all about volume and will usually give you the bottom line price without much hassle. He will likely assign a salesman to you once you arrive. I would call several dealerships and see what they say, they are all independent and you all likely treat you different. One may offer a better deal than the other.

Just note that volume is low right now, so you have less leverage than you normally would. However, most dealers are giving the customary $5000 -$10,000 off MSRP (depending on truck) even in this environment.

drm827

Reaction score
Call the dealership fleet manager first. Tell him you want to order a truck and if you would get the same deals on lot trucks. I don't believe you will, at least not for all incentives, since some are based on moving vehicles on the floor. But at least you will get an idea on what they can give you.

The fleet manager is all about volume and will usually give you the bottom line price without much hassle. He will likely assign a salesman to you once you arrive. I would call several dealerships and see what they say, they are all independent and you all likely treat you different. One may offer a better deal than the other.

Just note that volume is low right now, so you have less leverage than you normally would. However, most dealers are giving the customary $5000 -$10,000 off MSRP (depending on truck) even in this environment.
I guess it’s throwing me off that they are all saying incentives/rebates are applied at delivery and the current offers expire before I’d take delivery since they usually last about a month. I asked if current offers would be applied and they said no, whatever exists at delivery would be applied.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I guess it’s throwing me off that they are all saying incentives/rebates are applied at delivery and the current offers expire before I’d take delivery since they usually last about a month. I asked if current offers would be applied and they said no, whatever exists at delivery would be applied.

Sure, that is a risk when ordering, especially on a full size American truck which typically have stacked incentives. They may have some idea what is happening for that upcoming month, but not likely what will be available when your order arrives. I got 25% off my truck due to stacked incentives when I bought it, luckily it was exactly the spec I wanted.

Did you try the build website for RAM? Once completed, you can see if there is an exact match or close to it already at a dealership. You can give the range based on your zip codes on how far you want to drive. This is probably your most convenient option, finding one close to the spec you want already at the dealership.

drm827

Reaction score
Sure, that is a risk when ordering, especially on a full size American truck which typically have stacked incentives. They may have some idea what is happening for that upcoming month, but not likely what will be available when your order arrives. I got 25% off my truck due to stacked incentives when I bought it, luckily it was exactly the spec I wanted.

Did you try the build website for RAM? Once completed, you can see if there is an exact match or close to it already at a dealership. You can give the range based on your zip codes on how far you want to drive. This is probably your most convenient option, finding one close to the spec you want already at the dealership.
I did. Typed in several different zip codes to spread the distance. Had a dealer look 500 miles out too and no hits.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I did. Typed in several different zip codes to spread the distance. Had a dealer look 500 miles out too and no hits.

Gotcha, though volume is low right now. I recommend waiting, you aren't going to get a great deal right now, less likely if you order it. I still recommend speaking with a fleet manager and see what they say. Tell them you want to order a truck, but want to know how good of discount you can still get. Maybe he will surprise you?

drm827

Reaction score
Gotcha, though volume is low right now. I recommend waiting, you aren't going to get a great deal right now, less likely if you order it. I still recommend speaking with a fleet manager and see what they say. Tell them you want to order a truck, but want to know how good of discount you can still get. Maybe he will surprise you?
Makes sense, thanks for your input

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You won’t be going into the purchase blind. You need to negotiate the truck down to a good deal prior to the rebates or incentives. Get to a point your comfortable at if you only get another $1000 or less of rebates. You never know what they will be at time of purchase. You could also pick it up when the rebates suck but they have 0% financing. Also I disagree with right now isn’t the time to buy. That’s far from the truth, if you have a trade in the used market is very low resulting in inflated prices. Dealers are hurting to sell cars with the uncertainty of the economy. If you’re in a position to buy now, there may not be a better time. Aim to get 15-18% below MSRP before rebates and you’ll probably end up at 18-20% below MSRP at time of pick up.

soSincerious

Reaction score
special order usually means you won't get a super aggressive discount. and you usually won't get a dealer to special order something for you without a non-refundable deposit.

super high discounts like mentioned above are usually on trucks that are in-stock, and have been sitting on a lot for a while ... dealers don't like old (aged) cars.

and yes, you will be a bit blind to the discount when you order a vehicle. this is the gamble that you take ... especially when it can take 2 months or more to arrive. manufacturer rebates change every month. what you can be sure of is how much the dealer will negotiate on price. that you can agree on when you place the order. and again, this will likely be a low discount relative to taking one they have.

Jack in Prescott

Reaction score
drm827, I think I understand your surprise. I'm shopping between a F150 and a RAM 1500. In the 'Ford World', rebates (defined as price reductions offered by the manufacturer, FoMoCo) are booked at the time the order is taken. Incentives (price reductions offered by Ford's finance arm) are applied at the time of the delivery, if there are any, assuming financing is sought by the Buyer. Right now the RAM configurator (which I've found pretty clunky) mentions 'employee pricing' when building a 2021 truck. I see no reference to this pricing, good until the end of December, not being applicable to orders being placed this month. (OTOH who has mastered the art of fine print better than car manufacturers?!)

Jack

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
drm827, I think I understand your surprise. I'm shopping between a F150 and a RAM 1500. In the 'Ford World', rebates (defined as price reductions offered by the manufacturer, FoMoCo) are booked at the time the order is taken. Incentives (price reductions offered by Ford's finance arm) are applied at the time of the delivery, if there are any, assuming financing is sought by the Buyer. Right now the RAM configurator (which I've found pretty clunky) mentions 'employee pricing' when building a 2021 truck. I see no reference to this pricing, good until the end of December, not being applicable to orders being placed this month. (OTOH who has mastered the art of fine print better than car manufacturers?!)

Jack
Unless EP sticks around longer than December (which it probably won’t) ordering a vehicle now and expecting to get it with EP probably won’t happen. So you are correct, they may lure you into ordering with the EP right now, but I haven’t heard of an order being completed in roughly 2 weeks. Now on the other hand if you find a build you want on the lot then that’s the perfect situation as you can take advantage of EP.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
I'm in similar situation or was, as I eventually ordered a truck. Now I'm thinking of taking a loss on my deposit and trying to order s ol somewhere else

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Here's my take on ordering and EP. I believe that EP is 5% below invoice. When doing a factory order from one of the previously mentioned dealers, they are offering 6 to 7% off invoice plus any incentives at time of delivery. If I am understanding this correctly, it is better to order what you want. With the current EP, you can't get EP and 0%. If you order, you could still get 0% at the time of delivery, plus other rebates and incentives. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread