5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory led to factory halogen fog swap

VinceCook

Reaction score
Wanting to go from factory led fog lights to halogens. Is anything needed other than the black housing and the bulb/lense? Does anyone know if the plugs are the same for parking sensors and the fog light?
Thanks

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
why do you want to go halogen for fog lights? just curious

VinceCook

Reaction score
In all honesty just going to switch the housing to the halogen style and put in diode dynamics as they are cheaper and brighter than what is offered to fit in the original led housing

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wanting to go from factory led fog lights to halogens. Is anything needed other than the black housing and the bulb/lense? Does anyone know if the plugs are the same for parking sensors and the fog light?
Thanks
That sounds like a terrible idea and I bet you're wrong about the light output too. But it's your truck and you can do what you want I know other people have swapped them. But I can't guarantee that the plugs are the same. I think if you search for swapping from halogen to LED, you'll probably find instructions that tell you how to do it. I think infotainment has a kit to do it so you could probably use their videos or instructions to see what you need to do.

Reaction score
As others have said, the OEM LEDs are much better than the OEM halogen fog lights hands down and I wouldn’t recommend going through all that work for worse light output. If you’re looking at installing Diode Dynamics light pods though, that’s a different story. I swapped out my factory LED fog lights with the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog light pods over a year and a half ago on my Longhorn and I absolutely love them! They do a better job cutting through fog and heavy snowfall without blinding oncoming drivers (when properly aimed) compared to the stock LEDs, but they don’t cover as wide of an area around the truck as the stock LEDs due to the design of the halogen bezel. Since I spend a lot of time driving at night, I was fine with this trade off and appreciate the better light output. You’ll need new mounting brackets as well as new bezels since the halogen fog lights use a different bracket than the LED fog lights. I bought mine through RetroShop, they’ll provide the OEM halogen bezels and mounting brackets for an additional cost if you buy the Diode Dynamics SS3 fog light kit through them. The Diode Dynamics SS3 fog light kit includes mounting brackets to bolt the SS3 light pod to the OEM halogen fog light bracket as well as wire harnesses to plug directly into the factory fog light socket. If you want to keep the LED fog light bezel, Diode Dynamics just came out with a fog pocket kit a few months ago that replaces the factory LED fog lights with four SSC2 fog light pods and includes mounting brackets and wire harnesses to plug into the factory fog light socket.
1699822905308.jpeg

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
In all honesty just going to switch the housing to the halogen style and put in diode dynamics as they are cheaper and brighter than what is offered to fit in the original led housing
hmmmm. gona go out on a limb here and say that is a terrible idea man. i have the halogen fog lights and i just put led bulbs in there. my dad has a 1500 with the LEDs and they are pretty neck and neck, atleast not enough of a difference to be like damn thats crazy. not worth the money, effort and time brother, and if you offroad or absolutely need them id recommend you get pod lights and or a light bar.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Retro shop sells the full braket kit including the diode dynamics fogs. This is what you need to go from oem led fog to diode dynamics pods and use all the factory wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread