5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory bedliner, how did they spray the inside of the tailgate?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For those who've gone the bed liner route, how is it with the nasitier stuff? I do haul trash and yard waste and with my current spray in I just blast it with a hose before putting family luggage inside. Does it retain gross dirty diaper smell?
Spray-in? Does great! My 15-year-old Line-X has faded a bit, but I bet I could freshen that up with some bedliner cleaner.

alow

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant the bed rug, I currently have a line X and was going to do it again but wanted to weigh the rug vs spray.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bedrug is actually made up of plastic and not carpet. It retains no smell snd can be hosed out at the car wash.

It retains no water and dries pretty quick.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those who've gone the bed liner route, how is it with the nasitier stuff? I do haul trash and yard waste and with my current spray in I just blast it with a hose before putting family luggage inside. Does it retain gross dirty diaper smell?
I power wash mine out and comes clean. In my 2016 I spilled paint and even that come out

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Line-X' website has a video on how they apply spray-on bed liners.
They show how the tailgate gets removed and sprayed.
http://www.linex.com/bedliners?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=line x bedliner&utm_content=!acq!v3!23449213528_aud-410401175882:kwd-1468975740__258446389568_g_c__&utm_campaign=Brand+-+Exact&gclid=CjwKCAjwg_fZBRAoEiwAppvp-ag9r8NIMZDeB5qeECWn5SVNpC1fFH6bNrlh7kkn1YxhkfKBtyv9exoCh_YQAvD_BwE

I am having Line-X spray my truck bed.
I am adding a TruXedo ProX15 roll-up cover and Weather Tech floor liners also. But first, my eTorque Laramie has to get here.
It was built June 15 and still not in sight. :(
Going the Line X route as well. My dealer was surprised when I built up the truck with all the toys but deleted the spray in liner. He did agree that Line X is a better way to go with a lifetime warranty.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Going the Line X route as well. My dealer was surprised when I built up the truck with all the toys but deleted the spray in liner. He did agree that Line X is a better way to go with a lifetime warranty.
Didn't someone else on here comment that FCA is subcontracting the spray-in liners to Line-X? Would be nice to know if that's true.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
None of the big 3 use "Line-x."

Here is who they have been using....

https://www.gfxltd.com

This is from another forum...a least this person is indicating GFX is a Line X company, so it could very well be a Line X product that maybe isn't sprayed as thick or have the lifetime warranty.

When your Ram 1500 is finished being built, it is trucked over to a place in Warrrn Michigan, called GFXltd, Ground Effects Ltd.

They do Spray ins, side steps, Hitch Receivers, & anything else that is added on before being shipped to your dealership
GFX Ltd, is run by a Line-X company

https://www.gfxltd.com/
&
http://www.gfxlaw.com/ <--- law enforcement vehicles

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is from another forum...a least this person is indicating GFX is a Line X company, so it could very well be a Line X product that maybe isn't sprayed as thick or have the lifetime warranty.

When your Ram 1500 is finished being built, it is trucked over to a place in Warrrn Michigan, called GFXltd, Ground Effects Ltd.

They do Spray ins, side steps, Hitch Receivers, & anything else that is added on before being shipped to your dealership
GFX Ltd, is run by a Line-X company

https://www.gfxltd.com/
&
http://www.gfxlaw.com/ <--- law enforcement vehicles

I think you are correct. But it's not LineX lol

Boatjockey

Reaction score
The question is: With such a high volume of vehicles, do they have the time to properly prep every bed for the liner by taking the tailgate off, sanding the whole bed, etc.? If they just rush and spray the liner without proper prep (which takes a few hours per vehicle) then the quality may not be as good. I'd rather get it done locally and be there to see that the whole Line X process is followed. To me it's worth it to take the $200 credit and add $300 to get top quality assurance.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The question is: With such a high volume of vehicles, do they have the time to properly prep every bed for the liner by taking the tailgate off, sanding the whole bed, etc.? If they just rush and spray the liner without proper prep (which takes a few hours per vehicle) then the quality may not be as good. I'd rather get it done locally and be there to see that the whole Line X process is followed. To me it's worth it to take the $200 credit and add $300 to get top quality assurance.

See above video. On F150s there is no cost savings to get it factory applied vs done locally. Since RAM bundles the spray in liner on the Big Horn and Laramie, it's a no brainer unless you want the bed rails.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck is factory sprayed and its almost 5 years old and no problems with mine. Still pretty close to the "black" it was when I got it. Will get it done when I order my 2019 Rebel.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those with the factory spray-in, how did they spray the inside of the tailgate? Mine (with camera, remote release, etc) has a large screwed in access panel, presumably for the camera, tailgate release, etc. Did they spray right over this or is the panel still accessible for repair?

Just received my Longhorn today. On this truck the ‘factory’ spray in bed-liner seems to me to be very well done. The screws on the tailgate access panel are NOT sprayed over. Seems they did take the time to remove it and spray it properly.

Flot

Reaction score
Well I finally gave up and had the local line-x dealer do my bed. Came out great and they did remove the tailgate panel and sprayed it separately. I got the impression that LIne-X corporate gives them instructions for how to handle this kind of thing on each model.

I never expected that my Ram would have been delivered to me before a plastic liner was available. Yes, the line-x is very nice, but I never had plastic liner complaints in the past.

Last edited:

Brobee

Reaction score
Just received my Longhorn today. On this truck the ‘factory’ spray in bed-liner seems to me to be very well done. The screws on the tailgate access panel are NOT sprayed over. Seems they did take the time to remove it and spray it properly.

Can anyone with the factory spray in on the 2019's please post pics? I'm looking to see if they sprayed over the plastic 'plugs' on the drivers side of the bed. Wondering if those may be for drainage.

My Rhino guy sprayed over them...

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics (sorry about the quality, dark out!) of the tailgate cover and the plugs I believe you were referring to. The factory lining basically covers everything in the bed including the cargo hooks. They do take the tailgate plate off and spray it separate as the screw heads are NOT covered.

Attachments

• 35C3B5DD-E826-4487-901A-6541622B0E9D.jpeg
    35C3B5DD-E826-4487-901A-6541622B0E9D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 44F3D538-9FA5-4288-BF24-634517495AAA.jpeg
    44F3D538-9FA5-4288-BF24-634517495AAA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 53A90D22-3944-4186-B07F-6F6B234D4F9B.jpeg
    53A90D22-3944-4186-B07F-6F6B234D4F9B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55

Brobee

Reaction score
Here are a couple pics (sorry about the quality, dark out!) of the tailgate cover and the plugs I believe you were referring to. The factory lining basically covers everything in the bed including the cargo hooks. They do take the tailgate plate off and spray it separate as the screw heads are NOT covered.

Awesome - thanks. Rhino didn't cover my tailgate bolts either. What about the 2 plugs on the actual floor of the bed?

Users who are viewing this thread