5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Air Suspension or Aftermarket Bags?

Boltripper

Reaction score
Possibly coming from a 3GT Tacoma and will tow with the Rebel.

Is the consensus to not get factory air suspension and add aftermarket bags when lifted? This is what I have now and I really like the ability to adjust ride height and obtain a quick, cheap replacement bag in the event of failure.

Kind Regards,

John

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I do not have the air suspension on my Rebel. I did add Timber Grove bags for towing my trailer, and it solved my squat issue. I have the Stage 3 Icon lift (2" over stock all 4 corners), and the whole setup works great. I run 6-7 psi without a load, and ~45 psi when towing my trailer (600 pounds tongue weight).

Boltripper

Reaction score
I do not have the air suspension on my Rebel. I did add Timber Grove bags for towing my trailer, and it solved my squat issue. I have the Stage 3 Icon lift (2" over stock all 4 corners), and the whole setup works great. I run 6-7 psi without a load, and ~45 psi when towing my trailer (600 pounds tongue weight).
Perfect.. I have Firestone bags and Daystar cradles on the Tacoma and it's a great setup. From the research, looks like some problems with the factory setup that can easily be rectified with adding aftermarket bags..

Appreciate the response.

John

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same thing as @RockYacht2020, but I'm only 1" over factory (2" overall) in the rear. 5 psi unloaded, then whatever I need at the time. I can usually feel what's right sitting in the truck. I chose not to go factory air over the possibility of maintenance/issues down the road as I plan to keep my truck for 10+ years. Changing a coil spring is a simple thing compared to an airbag system, and it never gets stuck in a specific ride height position. Timber Grove install was a piece of cake, and these bags are solid compared to AirLift Air Springs. Nothing against AirLift as I've run them before, but the Timber Grove was no drilling, so it was worth the extra cost.

Boltripper

Reaction score
I have the same thing as @RockYacht2020, but I'm only 1" over factory (2" overall) in the rear. 5 psi unloaded, then whatever I need at the time. I can usually feel what's right sitting in the truck. I chose not to go factory air over the possibility of maintenance/issues down the road as I plan to keep my truck for 10+ years. Changing a coil spring is a simple thing compared to an airbag system, and it never gets stuck in a specific ride height position. Timber Grove install was a piece of cake, and these bags are solid compared to AirLift Air Springs. Nothing against AirLift as I've run them before, but the Timber Grove was no drilling, so it was worth the extra cost.

Thanks for the response... I'll certainly look for or spec a "non" air ride suspension and just add the bags.

Best,

john

Users who are viewing this thread