5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FabTech leveling

Jimr8162

Reaction score
Installed a FabTech 3 1/2" leveling kit with 20" Fuel Militias and 35" Open Range tires. Absolutely love it. I do have an issue though that I can't seem to get figured out yet.
Had some knocking in the front end, like perhaps a loose strut, after about a week so I took it back to the shop for re-torque of component. They claimed to have gone back thru everything and tightened everything back up. Left the shop and within a week, the noise was back. I am at this point getting a little angry. I found a different shop to have them look at it and Low and behold, the front struts on both sides were loose and had never been tightened properly. They showed me the issue and actually did this time re-torque everything and it seems to have done the trick.
I typically would have performed the work myself but don't have time to do the work myself these days as I am on the road the majority of my life so cut me some slack, I know the comments about having someone else perform the work may be coming my way.
Anyways, There is still some noise, again it sounds like the struts. The noise happens as I am driving slow and hit like a small speed bump, dip in the road or bumps in like a parking lot. It sounds like metal hitting metal actually. I asked the shop and they said it is common with leveling kits, not so much with lift kits.
My question is this. If a 3 1/2" level kit is installed, (2 1/2" to the rear), should they have installed different Struts in the front if they added new ones in the back? The FabTech kit only came with new rear shocks, nothing for the front in regards to shocks/struts.
Also, is it possible that the front struts could have been damaged somehow due to them not being tightened and seated properly during the initial installation? I probably drove it 500 miles like that, nothing crazy though like off roading, just highway.
I saw somewhere where a check of the sway arm connections may be a good idea as it is often a culprit.
Anyone have experience with this? I know it is rather new for the 2019 rebels. Oh, I should mention that it does not have the Air Suspension system.

Jimr8162

Reaction score
Called FabTech to discuss. I was informed that the leveling kit is not their favorite product, they gear more towards an actual lift kit or the coilover product for about three times the cost. I was not made aware of this when I had the kit installed. I was also told that the noise is common. Not really liking the situation this puts me in so I guess ill look at actually installing a full on lift at a later date. Bummer, I like the way it looks now.

Users who are viewing this thread