5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fabtech Dirtlogic Rear Shocks, Sharp bouncing

Zukispeed

Reaction score
I work for a large shop in Utah, that does lifts and accessories. I recently purchased a 21 Ram Rebel with 7k miles on it, and had the Fabtech 3" Dirtlogic kit installed here ( front coilovers, upper arms, rear coil spring spacer, and 2.25 rear shocks )

I Have put around 500 miles on it since install, and since the Very first drive, have experienced a sharp bounce in the rear, that's almost like a bucking. We do a ton of lift kits, I specialize in Toyota's mainly, and I do have a decent amount of experience with suspensions and shocks in general..

My main question is, why would Fabtech send these kits our with rear shocks that act this way? I do not see a nipple on the shock like we have on the fox, to adjust the PSI, im just dumbfounded they would be ok with this setup, as a sales writer I am not apt to sell this kit, due to knowing what it would entail on the feedback from a customer.

I imagine if we had significant weight in the bed it probably would ride better, but Id say 9/10 Customers are not loading up the rear of their truck to daily drive it,

Anyone else have expereince with Fabtech Rear 2.25 Shocks on their ram?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have the Fabtech shocks, but I found the same thing with my Fox 2.5 DSC on the highway at highway speeds. Terrible bucking if the highway has cracks or lines running across the road. Little lines turn into big bucking.

i haven’t entirely solved this situation, but I improved it by adjusting the compression dampening to stiffer (I.e., closing the valves more). Changing the low speed dampening seemed particularly effective.

In my case, I did have a load in/over the bed: an ~80 bed rack, 180 pound rooftop tent, 100 pound water tank, and probably 200 pounds of gear. But I’ve also experienced this unladen.

Anyway, I’m sorry that I don’t have any advise to give, but I am interested in this because I’m experiencing something similar with my setup (which, I should note, also involves after market, heavier rear springs).

Zukispeed

Reaction score
Fabtech is offering to revalve to whatever I request, but Im a bit peeved, I sell this stuff for a living, and If I had sold this kit to someone I would expect some hell to come back my way. I run Icon 2.5" Adjustables on my 4runner, and they are killer. I almost did the same kit on the truck, but she doesnt spend a TON of time offroad like the 4runner

Thanks for chiming in about the 2.5 DSC, I had contemplated just selling these, they have about 500 miles on them, and upgrading but doesnt seem to solve the issue.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in about the 2.5 DSC, I had contemplated just selling these, they have about 500 miles on them, and upgrading but doesnt seem to solve the issue.
Don’t read too much into my single account; others have the same shocks and I haven’t hear others with this complain.

It could be my Dobinson springs, or maybe the combo of the springs and the Fox 2.5s don’t play well together. I need to get to the bottom of what’s causing the issue, but I don’t really know where to start.

In other words, don’t rule out Fox DSC solely based on my experience.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I work for a large shop in Utah, that does lifts and accessories. I recently purchased a 21 Ram Rebel with 7k miles on it, and had the Fabtech 3" Dirtlogic kit installed here ( front coilovers, upper arms, rear coil spring spacer, and 2.25 rear shocks )

I Have put around 500 miles on it since install, and since the Very first drive, have experienced a sharp bounce in the rear, that's almost like a bucking. We do a ton of lift kits, I specialize in Toyota's mainly, and I do have a decent amount of experience with suspensions and shocks in general..

My main question is, why would Fabtech send these kits our with rear shocks that act this way? I do not see a nipple on the shock like we have on the fox, to adjust the PSI, im just dumbfounded they would be ok with this setup, as a sales writer I am not apt to sell this kit, due to knowing what it would entail on the feedback from a customer.

I imagine if we had significant weight in the bed it probably would ride better, but Id say 9/10 Customers are not loading up the rear of their truck to daily drive it,

Anyone else have expereince with Fabtech Rear 2.25 Shocks on their ram?
In the past I had a truck with Bilstein 6112 shocks in the rear. Also had reservoir but no adjustment, and they too were very quick to rebound when highway driving. I wouldn't say stiff, but it's more like they just couldn't perform well with my bed unloaded. As if hitting potholes or slight road bumps, they'd rebound too quickly and too strong.

However, taking it offroad and letting the shocks warm up a bit with some hard driving they really would soften up and had pretty good dampening ability. I had Fox 2.0's up front and those handled road and offroad driving well, but the Bilsteins in the rear really needed to warm up a bit before they started softening up when driving.

It would only last while offroading, because as soon as they'd cool back to normal street driving levels they'd go stiff again.

Another thing you can check is your actual tire pressure in the rear. Right now I have my cold tire pressure at 40psi and when driving they warm up to 44 or so, and for my truck 44psi is just too much air to keep a smooth rear. If by bed is loaded then 44 works, but when unloaded i've found a cold air pressure of 36 to give a much smoother ride. A lot less rear end jumping on those road line bumps. So check your tire pressure too before thinking it's strictly the rear shocks. And then also jump a few train tracks or drive offroad a while to see if they warm up and soften up some.

Robalo2718

Reaction score
Don’t read too much into my single account; others have the same shocks and I haven’t hear others with this complain.

It could be my Dobinson springs, or maybe the combo of the springs and the Fox 2.5s don’t play well together. I need to get to the bottom of what’s causing the issue, but I don’t really know where to start.

In other words, don’t rule out Fox DSC solely based on my experience.
I have experienced a similar hwy bounce with my Bilsteins - was there before and after my Dobinsons. I wonder if some of it is the E-rated tires?

Users who are viewing this thread