5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fab Tech Coil Over Servicing

Schralp

Reaction score
A few years ago, I had the Fab Tech 2.5 inch resi coilover lift put on my truck. Recently, the truck became very bouncy. It appears that it is time to service the shocks. With shipping and however long it takes Fab Tech to service them, I am looking at 10 days or more without my truck. Anyone have any tips on how to do this easily and the quickest way possible?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could get a preload and tophat spacer to get a stock strut near the overall length of your coilover, then swap it out while you have them being serviced.

You would most likely need a realignment each time you do that, as overall height probably wouldn’t perfectly match (considering difficulties matching axle to fender height under vehicle weight). So, one realignment after alternate shocks go on, and one after rebuilt shocks go on. If pulling and eating tires doesn’t matter, then you *could* skip an alignment if you were careful to not disturb any components that could throw out the alignment.

I personally would recheck the alignment anyway after the rebuilt coilovers go on, but I like knowing without a doubt that it’s good. Until the first giant pothole, of course.

Schralp

Reaction score
Thanks. Starts getting expensive that way. Will de
Could get a preload and tophat spacer to get a stock strut near the overall length of your coilover, then swap it out while you have them being serviced.

You would most likely need a realignment each time you do that, as overall height probably wouldn’t perfectly match (considering difficulties matching axle to fender height under vehicle weight). So, one realignment after alternate shocks go on, and one after rebuilt shocks go on. If pulling and eating tires doesn’t matter, then you *could* skip an alignment if you were careful to not disturb any components that could throw out the alignment.

I personally would recheck the alignment anyway after the rebuilt coilovers go on, but I like knowing without a doubt that it’s good. Until the first giant pothole, of course.

Thanks. Sounds like it’s getting expensive. Alignments, parts, and labor aren’t cheap. Will always have to get it aligned after the coil overs are put back. Probably have to suck it up and go without. Not a good way to spend my summer…waiting for my truck to be fixed. Appreciate the idea though.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do a search for guys in your area that will service them. I just make an appointment with my off road shop. I drop of in the morning, pick it up on the afternoon and I'm on my way with an alighnment.

Schralp

Reaction score
Do a search for guys in your area that will service them. I just make an appointment with my off road shop. I drop of in the morning, pick it up on the afternoon and I'm on my way with an alighnment.
Sounds much better. If my guy can't do it, I might ask who does that for you. Looks like we are in a similar area.

Users who are viewing this thread