5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extremely loud clunk when shifting into drive/reverse

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I select the auto parking brake feature in settings, and place the gear selector in P(ark) the parking brake engages like it should, but I have to manualy disengage it. I thought it would auto disengage when shifting out of P(ark) to D(rive) or R(everse). Is mine working coreectly or incorrectly?

If you hop in your truck, start it, put seat belt on, foot on brake, switch out of park; the park brake should auto disengage. Note that seat belt is required for this.

ericd

Reaction score
UPDATE***

So I tested out the parking brake advice and it worked like a charm. Completely smooth and quiet transition from Park to Drive so I guess it is indeed the PAWL on the inclined driveway. I guess I'll just be using the E Brake from now on.
Thanks for all the help

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If there is enough weight resting on the pawl it can actually get stuck and will not disengage until the weight is relieved

Users who are viewing this thread