5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extremely hot exhaust - Non-Etorque 5.7L

hpiblitz144

Reaction score
Hello All,

Quick question regarding my new 2022 Backcountry. 5.7L non-etorque ( 1400miles on the truck) I was hooking up a trailer after idling around the house and burned the back of my leg on the exhaust tip! left me branded as well as an awesome sizzling sound. after that i've been watching closer and closer and noticed the exhaust temps out the dual exhaust is ridiculously high. uncomfortable if your standing with in 18 inches of the truck. is this a break in thing? or just a common occurrence?

I double checked with my fathers 2017 5.7. about half the heat out of the rear end of that truck.

while on the topic, When should we see a break in mode disappear?

Attachments

• 20220630_131051.jpg
    20220630_131051.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 27

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Break in mode? That’s a new one.

And that’s fairly normal to burn yourself on non shielded exhaust tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Every truck I ever owned had hot exhaust tips when running especially in hot weather.

U

User_3336

"Break-in thing"? Never heard of that... You scorched yourself. Yeah, an exhaust pipe is hot as h***.
Where did you get the 18-inch rule, and why is there a need to stand within 18 inches of the exhaust?
Just curious.
What are you engine/oil/trans temps in the EVIC when standing 18 inches from the rear exhaust?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
I think it has more to do with burning compressed gasoline/air mixture in the cylinders at around 2600 degrees or so and then venting it out the exhaust system. This tends to heat metal up and makes it uncomfortable to touch for most people.

Now, now. No need to bring science, physics, and a bit of basic common sense into this.
Perhaps it's his first vehicle and he doesn't know about exhaust pipes yet.
What he needs is one of those stickers to warn of hot exhaust piping during engine operation.

Steve

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Now, now. No need to bring science, physics, and a bit of basic common sense into this.
Perhaps it's his first vehicle and he doesn't know about exhaust pipes yet.
What he needs is one of those stickers to warn of hot exhaust piping during engine operation.

Steve
Awesome idea! :cool: :cool: A disclaimer sticker "This exhaust will be extremely hot during operation. Please maintain an 18 inch distance, as failing to do so may result in severe burns".

Now, the next thing to be discussed. What kind of material should this sticker be made out of so that it will resist fading and peeling under such high temperatures? Perhaps a metallic sticker with a 3M adhesive?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Awesome idea! :cool: :cool: A disclaimer sticker "This exhaust will be extremely hot during operation. Please maintain an 18 inch distance, as failing to do so may result in severe burns".

Now, the next thing to be discussed. What kind of material should this sticker be made out of so that it will resist fading and peeling under such high temperatures? Perhaps a metallic sticker with a 3M adhesive?

Well. Asbestos, of course.

Steve

hpiblitz144

Reaction score
"Break-in thing"? Never heard of that... You scorched yourself. Yeah, an exhaust pipe is hot as h***.
Where did you get the 18-inch rule, and why is there a need to stand within 18 inches of the exhaust?
Just curious.
What are you engine/oil/trans temps in the EVIC when standing 18 inches from the rear exhaust?
GUYS!

I'm not new to vehicles nor am i new to hot exhausts, This was simply a question. Regardless of the fact that i burned my leg on the exhaust after the truck was running for about 5 minutes. I was hooking up the travel trailer and was (18") away from the exhaust, both my father and myself mentioned the fact that the exhaust was much, much hotter than the other 2017 ram that we have from the same areas doing the same thing.

This post was simply an observation with curiosity not about why combustion gases and fuel mixture causes heat. A science lesson isn't what i came here for..

I am also very surprised by the amount of people that have not heard about a break in mode.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GUYS!

I'm not new to vehicles nor am i new to hot exhausts, This was simply a question. Regardless of the fact that i burned my leg on the exhaust after the truck was running for about 5 minutes. I was hooking up the travel trailer and was (18") away from the exhaust, both my father and myself mentioned the fact that the exhaust was much, much hotter than the other 2017 ram that we have from the same areas doing the same thing.

This post was simply an observation with curiosity not about why combustion gases and fuel mixture causes heat. A science lesson isn't what i came here for..

I am also very surprised by the amount of people that have not heard about a break in mode.

Your not picking up the sarcasm in peoples posts...People are messing with you so relax...

There is no "break-in" period anymore like people used to believe back in the day. You drive it how you want right off the lot. Exhaust tip from a 2017 could of been made differently compared to now (process changes, etc).

U

User_3336

We need answers on this break in mode

Similar to when the dealer takes a newly arrived vehicle out of "transport mode", does the dealer then engage "break-in mode", and later you have to take your vehicle back and get it taken out of "break-in mode", or does "break-in mode" disengage itself after so many miles? :cool:

hpiblitz144

Reaction score
We need answers on this break in mode

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS​

For vehicles equipped with the 3.6L or 5.7L use the following engine break-in recommendations:
A long break-in period is not required for the drivetrain (engine, transmission, clutch, and rear axle) in your new vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 mi (500 km). After the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. However, wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.
The engine oil, transmission fluid, and axle lubricant installed at the factory is high-quality and energy-conserving. Oil, fluid, and lubricant changes should be consistent with anticipated climate and conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”.
CAUTION!:
Never use Non-Detergent Oil or Straight Mineral Oil in the engine or damage may result.
NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as an indication of difficulty. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break in period. Add oil as required.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Well, you've got to put a giant sticker right next the obnoxious airbag one on the visor that can't be removed, of course.

.... both my father and myself mentioned the fact that the exhaust was much, much hotter than the other 2017 ram that we have from the same areas doing the same thing......
...... Exhaust tip from a 2017 could of been made differently compared to now (process changes, etc).
Well, not to be a wet blanket and kill the humor we've got going here, but I'll answer your question with a serious answer. I suspect the above is the difference. The exhaust on the 5th gen may be more free flowing than the 4th gen, so the temps aren't dissipated as much when the gases get to the tips. As such, the gases coming out are hotter, and the tip is subsequently heated more than a more restrictive exhaust.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
For vehicles equipped with the 3.6L or 5.7L use the following engine break-in recommendations:
A long break-in period is not required for the drivetrain (engine, transmission, clutch, and rear axle) in your new vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 mi (500 km). After the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.....
Sounds like Ram is saying you're good to go after 60 miles.
The old break in periods were due to the looser tolerances in manufacturing years ago. We can hold MUCH tighter tolerance than ever before, so the parts fit better and there's no need for long break in periods like there used to be.

And to clarify, people were making jokes because you called it a break in "mode" as if it was a setting on the truck. If you had asked about break in period, or break in mileage, or something like that this would have been a much more boring thread.

Anyway, the nerd will shut up now. Sorry to ruin all the fun. Back to the wise cracks.

U

User_3336

That's a good sign, but you need to emphasize the BURN HAZARD aspect. The red heat icons do help.
burn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread