5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

exterior paint

lost demon

Reaction score
Hi all. got a question about using any of the silicone sealers that I see all over facebook. Any pro's n con's to share. My biggest concern would be discoloration of the plastics.

rotts4u

Reaction score
IF you are talking about the F11 Top coat and others like it they are not any good. Stick to quality brands like CarPro, Meguiars, Mothers, Optimum etc. If you want to be overwhelmed with auto detailing products go to Autogeek.net. That is a professional detailers supply. If you want to read about all the products in a serious forum about detailing go to Autopia.org

Ceramic coatings are the way to go now but they are difficult to a novice because of the prep work. Go on you tube and there are thousands of videos on detailing. IF you have a specific question post it up and Ill try to answer what I can.

lost demon

Reaction score
Thanks rotts for your input. I always google products to get reviews, but ya never know when a product is writing its own reviews. I will check out the products you mentioned as well as the detailer site. Us old school guys from the rub-i-on buff-it -off days can get overwhelmed with this easy wipe n shine stuff nowadays. As for prep work, ive got plenty of time( retired). Good prep gives good results. my big concern is avoiding turning the black plastic fuzzy white like the old waxing products would do if you weren't careful.

Danny_TheHouseCook

Reaction score
Extremely happy with Car Guys. They have a base coat (for paint only) then they have the spray that you can get on anything without any problem. My truck is Black Forest Green but looks black. Black is very hard on protective products in high heat environments (like southern Florida). The Car Guys products have lasted very well. Now, if you've got mega bucks to spend then professionally applied ceramic is the way to go.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax to see how it would be at water beading. We have hard water around here and dirty rain, so wanted something better than plain wax. Worked really good and as advertised. But, good luck with the search. There are a ton of good(and bad) products out there, so you have your work cut out for you.

rotts4u

Reaction score
Thanks rotts for your input. I always google products to get reviews, but ya never know when a product is writing its own reviews. I will check out the products you mentioned as well as the detailer site. Us old school guys from the rub-i-on buff-it -off days can get overwhelmed with this easy wipe n shine stuff nowadays. As for prep work, ive got plenty of time( retired). Good prep gives good results. my big concern is avoiding turning the black plastic fuzzy white like the old waxing products would do if you weren't careful.

If you are looking for something to put on exterior or interior black plastic that won't accelerate the UV damage look no farther than 303 Aerospace protectant. The problem with many of those plastic dressings is they contain petroleum distillates that actually INCREASE the damage. 303 is petroleum free and won't do that.

IF you are looking for something fast and easy on paint for protection try the meguires ceramic spray. Its a really good consumer grade product and easy to apply. I really like CarPro Reload and Optimum Opti seal too. They are not a substitute for a ceramic coating but they will last 2-3 months and are super easy to basically wipe on wipe off, or you can use them as a drying aid. Look on you tube for a drying aid video on those two and you can likely find something showing how to do that.

I write magazine articles on these topics and here is a similar one for Motorhome tires that talks about the 303 Aerospace. Tires are similar to all exterior plastic on a car truck etc

lost demon

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. its helpful to have the data and the opinions of those that have used the products . i've had friends that use the 303 and swear by it. I used it on my old Truxedo cover and it done a satisfactory job helping to preserve it for 14 years. it was still on the vehicle when i sold it. I'm checking on all the aforementioned products you guys are mentioning. It's cold here in the midwest and the garage isn't heated. but any day soon we'll be able to get with it. It doesn't set outside or get driven much ( 9months, 6000 miles) .

Users who are viewing this thread