5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exterior limited trim

Pempster

Reaction score
All the chrome plated plastic trim is bubbling. Dealer says not corrosion, so not covered. Obvious defect.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All the chrome plated plastic trim is bubbling. Dealer says not corrosion, so not covered. Obvious defect.
What year is your vehicle? If it is still under warranty, they should fix it. Try a different dealer.

Pempster

Reaction score
What year is your vehicle? If it is still under warranty, they should fix it. Try a different dealer.
2019, warranty is up this month. I took it in to have the corrosion issue and all service bulletins dealt with. I also bought an extended warranty which may or may not be worth anything.

vincentw56

Reaction score
2019, warranty is up this month. I took it in to have the corrosion issue and all service bulletins dealt with. I also bought an extended warranty which may or may not be worth anything.
Bumper to bumper is only 3 years. Weird it would still be under warranty being a 2019. Being that it is a 2019, I'm not sure if that would be convered. If it was only maybe a year old, they might. Good luck on it.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
either way peeling chromed plastic trim is a common issue as the years go by. It's never going to be like chromed metal.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you referring to the corrosion warranty when you say it's up this month? Definitely wouldn't be covered by that, as you found out.

Extended warranties usually don't cover something like this. You'd need to read through the paperwork to verify that. It should be explicitly included or excluded.

You're probably on your own to take care of this by either just removing the trim or replace it yourself. Are you talking about the side trim at the bottom of the doors?

Pempster

Reaction score
Are you referring to the corrosion warranty when you say it's up this month? Definitely wouldn't be covered by that, as you found out.

Extended warranties usually don't cover something like this. You'd need to read through the paperwork to verify that. It should be explicitly included or excluded.

You're probably on your own to take care of this by either just removing the trim or replace it yourself. Are you talking about the side trim at the bottom of the doors?
Yes all lower side trim. Also corrosion issue is covered under warranty. Work is already approved. And I have read that replace the hood rather than chasing corrosion. My dealer claims non metal exterior panels are not included. However their paperwork claims they are not responsible for surface corrosion, my trim is bubbling from benighted the surface, so my claim is defective platting, therefore should be covered. My two cents.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes all lower side trim. Also corrosion issue is covered under warranty. Work is already approved. And I have read that replace the hood rather than chasing corrosion. My dealer claims non metal exterior panels are not included. However their paperwork claims they are not responsible for surface corrosion, my trim is bubbling from benighted the surface, so my claim is defective platting, therefore should be covered. My two cents.
Who said anything about the hood? This thread is about chrome trim issues. What I'm saying is the plastic trim bubbling issue isn't corrosion. It shouldn't be bubbling so soon but in the end it's only trim. It's easy enough to just remove or replace it yourself. I've had issues with chrome plated trim on other vehicles, which is which why we bought a Limited with the Blackout package (2020). It didn't come with any chrome trim. Same with the Night Edition on current models.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a side note, I saw Stalantis is going to be deleting all chrome from future vehicles due to the health concerns in manufacturing. Should make a lot of people happy although I'm sure the traditionalists will morn it's demise.

Dewey

Reaction score
On a side note, I saw Stalantis is going to be deleting all chrome from future vehicles due to the health concerns in manufacturing. Should make a lot of people happy although I'm sure the traditionalists will morn it's demise.

Took them over 100 years to figure that out?🙄

IMG_2665.jpeg
Actually been around WAY longer than that.

IMG_2666.jpeg

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am Old, no chrome = no future truck for me period.
I'm old too. Inclusion or exclusion of chrome definitely depends on the vehicle for me.
I think chrome doesn't look good on most modern vehicles. But classic vehicles look better with chrome for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/