5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exterior Door Handle

Rambro23

Reaction score
Just noticed this horrible paint chip on my rear, passenger side door handle (paint color Max Steel). Anyone know if this can be easily replaced? Maybe this is simply a cap that can be purchased in Max Steel?

Attachments

• 69ACBBA6-7890-4952-B0D7-C6D4C9E65209.jpeg
    69ACBBA6-7890-4952-B0D7-C6D4C9E65209.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 190

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They probably come in unpainted, not sure. I'd get touchup paint from dealer and fix myself. It will not be your first or last paint chip.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Life saver! Any idea on how to remove existing one?
Not sure yet. But, I just purchased a replacement handle as one of mine got a bad scratch. Supposed to be here on Monday. I'll report back on it. If the rear cap is like previous vehicles I've had just a plastic trim tool can pop them off.

Last edited:

Rambro23

Reaction score
Not sure yet. But, I just purchased a replacement handle as one of mine got a bad scratch. Supposed to be here on Monday. I'll report back on it. If the rear cap is like previous vehicles I've had just a plastic trim tool can pop them off.
That would be epic to be able to simply pop it off!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
That would be epic to be able to simply pop it off!
So, to remove the cap it does pop off with a plastic trim removal tool. You will probably need a second set of hands. One set to hold the door handle open and another to use the tool to pop the old cap off.

Here is how you replace a factory handle cover. Open handle and remove this T9 torx screw:
IMG_20200121_162126.jpg
Then pull the handle cover away from back to front. There are small lips on the front of the handle that need to big wiggled out. Seen in this photo:
IMG_20200121_165426.jpg
The lock sensor insert is only lightly clipped in and can be pulled out with your fingers or with the plastic trim tool. If you look back at the first picture there is a black plastic square just to the right of the screw. That is the alignment point for the lock sensor when reinstalling. When placing the new cover on be sure to align it like the following picture or it will not go on without scratching the paint off part of the handle. This is the hardest part:
IMG_20200121_165546.jpg

Rambro23

Reaction score
So, to remove the cap it does pop off with a plastic trim removal tool. You will probably need a second set of hands. One set to hold the door handle open and another to use the tool to pop the old cap off.

Here is how you replace a factory handle cover. Open handle and remove this T9 torx screw:
View attachment 44720
Then pull the handle cover away from back to front. There are small lips on the front of the handle that need to big wiggled out. Seen in this photo:
View attachment 44721
The lock sensor insert is only lightly clipped in and can be pulled out with your fingers or with the plastic trim tool. If you look back at the first picture there is a black plastic square just to the right of the screw. That is the alignment point for the lock sensor when reinstalling. When placing the new cover on be sure to align it like the following picture or it will not go on without scratching the paint off part of the handle. This is the hardest part:
View attachment 44722
Thank you so much!

Rambro23

Reaction score

View attachment 44720
View attachment 44721
View attachment 44722
Is the cap next to the door handle simply popped off with a plastic trim tool and replaced then?

Apexbasher

Reaction score
What if you need to remove the whole block? How is that done. The front doors have access ports aft of the handle that allow a torx bit to pull back a pin the holds the whole block in place. But there is no such access for the rears. Would I seriously have to remove the inner door panels?

Rambro23

Reaction score
What if you need to remove the whole block? How is that done. The front doors have access ports aft of the handle that allow a torx bit to pull back a pin the holds the whole block in place. But there is no such access for the rears. Would I seriously have to remove the inner door panels?
Curious about the same.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Curious about the same.
For me, it is because the driverside rear block was broken off by some turd trying to break in. It stays in place due to being held in by the actual door handle. But if you pull the handle, as if to get in the back seat, the block (cover and all) will simply slide out and fall on the ground, followed by the handle itself popping out of the door in your hand. When I asked my local RAM parts guys about ordering whatever retained the block, I was told that it snapped into place. I would have to order a new block and have it painted. An expensive proposition. His advice was to hot-glue it back into place!

Users who are viewing this thread