5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extension doesn't fit in spare tire winch

Techguy2000

Reaction score
June 2020 build, not sure if I'm crazy or not but went to drop the spare and the extension doesn't fit (using the wider end, CCW, but tried every other way in the process).

I took a picture of the winch "funnel" in case it looked like I was missing a part?

Is there a backup method to drop the spare? I'm guessing that wouldnt be made easy due to potential theft?

Attachments

• 20201024_115952.jpg
    20201024_115952.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 48

Techguy2000

Reaction score
To close out this post for anyone who may come across it in the future...

I stopped by a dealer (not my selling dealer fyi) and asked them to look at this for me. It took a few techs and 10 minutes but in the end the dealer who sold this truck installed a lock. So sure enough there is a short extension adapter that looks like a small lug nut key that was at the bottom of my glove box that goes onto my stock extension to get the spare down.

The selling dealer never told me about this and glad I figured it out before needing the spare on the side of the highway. This dealer said that they only put those on when they feel like the spares could get stolen. I have the off road group so it must have been due to the full size spare is my best guess.

Hopefully this saves one of you or your kids out there in an emergency.

Last edited:

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Funny you should mention this as I saw that specific accessory on Rams website yesterday and decided my 2019 Limited with the temporary spare on a steel wheel was pointless to have a lock.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A 13mm 12 point socket also fits. A power drill really speeds up the process

Edit: I see that's not the same as mine now which is just a square lug

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Never seen that on a new vehicle. I learned years ago to check the spare, especially on a used vehicle. Bought a used truck one time that a previous owner had installed a cable lock on the spare. luckily I never needed to use the spare or I would have been hosed. I only found out about it when I traded it in and the dealer asked me for the key to it LOL

Users who are viewing this thread