5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended warranty

Kingkong55555

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to this forum and seeking honest opinion in regards to extended warranty on Hemi 1500 Laramie sport package.

The dealer quoted me $3400 Canadian for seven years or 115000 Kms (Chrysler). Is it worth it? I m getting mix reviews in regards to the reliability of this vehicle. Some are quite scary and is making me regret my choice of buying this vehicle.

Regardless of the extended warranty, what I can do as an owner to keep the truck trouble free?

Please advise!

Bob.

Reaction score
It depends on your age and situation in life. If your the type of person that will replace the truck in 4-5 years then don't bother.

The trucks are reliable, but like any new vehicle they are not perfect and have a few weak links. Mostly what I read on the forum here is the exhaust manifolds may need to be replaced down the road and the rear windows are defective causing window leaks. (My window was replaced once and I'm waiting for the glass to have it done again due to the dealer breaking the defroster wires in the replacement window). Outside of your original warranty the extended warranty will not cover the glass.

If your computer goes bad that will be very expensive to replace. If your AC dies or if you have engine or transmission problems the warranty will be great to have.

I purchased the warranty because I'm retiring soon and I don't want truck repairs that could break the bank later. I feel it's a waste of money honestly but who knows. It's a crap shoot. I would rather have it for me, because this will be my last truck.

Change your oil like you should. Don't beat on it. Living up north it will rot out before it wears out. I have the same issues living in the salt belt. There is a fellow on youtube that has 200,000 miles on his 2019 with the original engine and tranny. He had front end work done, replaced his battery twice brakes still original. Mostly trouble free. Watch this video

Kingkong55555

Reaction score
It depends on your age and situation in life. If your the type of person that will replace the truck in 4-5 years then don't bother.

The trucks are reliable, but like any new vehicle they are not perfect and have a few weak links. Mostly what I read on the forum here is the exhaust manifolds may need to be replaced down the road and the rear windows are defective causing window leaks. (My window was replaced once and I'm waiting for the glass to have it done again due to the dealer breaking the defroster wires in the replacement window). Outside of your original warranty the extended warranty will not cover the glass.

If your computer goes bad that will be very expensive to replace. If your AC dies or if you have engine or transmission problems the warranty will be great to have.

I purchased the warranty because I'm retiring soon and I don't want truck repairs that could break the bank later. I feel it's a waste of money honestly but who knows. It's a crap shoot. I would rather have it for me, because this will be my last truck.

Change your oil like you should. Don't beat on it. Living up north it will rot out before it wears out. I have the same issues living in the salt belt. There is a fellow on youtube that has 200,000 miles on his 2019 with the original engine and tranny. He had front end work done, replaced his battery twice brakes still original. Mostly trouble free. Watch this video
Thanks bob,

Your insight into this truck is really helpful. I have the intention of keeping this truck till the last wheel comes off, provided no major repairs after the extended warranty.
How many miles have you driven your truck? Here in Manitoba we apply a lot of salt on the road for melting snow. Rust seems to be a big issue on every vehicle regardless of manufacturer. Although I hit the rust proofing done through dealer but I am more worried about the mechanical stuff in the truck itself. Should I follow the manual for service intervals or just get the oil change every 6 months if I don’t hit the 16000 kms? Hope I am lucky like the guy in the video you shared.

Thanks for the comments.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks bob,

Your insight into this truck is really helpful. I have the intention of keeping this truck till the last wheel comes off, provided no major repairs after the extended warranty.
How many miles have you driven your truck? Here in Manitoba we apply a lot of salt on the road for melting snow. Rust seems to be a big issue on every vehicle regardless of manufacturer. Although I hit the rust proofing done through dealer but I am more worried about the mechanical stuff in the truck itself. Should I follow the manual for service intervals or just get the oil change every 6 months if I don’t hit the 16000 kms? Hope I am lucky like the guy in the video you shared.

Thanks for the comments.

Mine is a late production 2019, 4 years old now, zero issues. I've owned many different makes, including several premium brands and just about every truck brand, and without a doubt, my Rebel has been the most reliable new purchase I've had.

Remember you are on a forum where enthusiast go to often vent or seek out answers, they don't represent the majority of owners out there.

As for your extended warranty, get it from either Ziegler or Granger as mentioned. They sell Genuine Mopar Maximum Care warranties for just above cost, about half what the dealership wants, which will make your decision to get one a lot easier.

Ready Go

Reaction score
For the first time ever..I bought an Extended Warranty..10yr/100k for $3100.

I figure I ordered this Ram as my last chance at buying a V8 Hemi and plan to keep it as long as possible.

If I'm being honest, these DT Rams do have some spotty reliability issues and having ordered every Tech Package possible, I figure the losses could be very high if they start to go out in the future (I'm getting older and my "risk on" is getting lower).

My bigger concern is..in 10yrs if my HUD or 12" U5 or ANY of the various "radar" systems goes out, will FCA have the parts to replace them (or even be in business anymore😳).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the first time ever..I bought an Extended Warranty..10yr/100k for $3100.

I figure I ordered this Ram as my last chance at buying a V8 Hemi and plan to keep it as long as possible.

If I'm being honest, these DT Rams do have some spotty reliability issues and having ordered every Tech Package possible, I figure the losses could be very high if they start to go out in the future (I'm getting older and my "risk on" is getting lower).

My bigger concern is..in 10yrs if my HUD or 12" U5 or ANY of the various "radar" systems goes out, will FCA have the parts to replace them (or even be in business anymore😳).
By that point the aftermarket will have caught up with parts to repair the truck. There is already an aftermarket replacement for the 12" head unit

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think paying for an extended warranty is ever worth it. It's a huge profit item for those selling them as almost nobody will ever recover the cost they paid for the warranty. They typically cover the most reliable period of a vehicles life.

I'm sure I forgot a couple, but I've purchased 14 new vehicles in the last 4 decades and have not had a malfunction, or combination of malfunctions, on any of them that would have made it worth the cost of buying an extended warranty. I purchased one on my first new vehicle only because it was my family's only vehicle and I did earn enough to pay for an expensive repair out of pocket and hadn't yet established a credit rating to be able to get a loan to cover an expensive repair. Even so, never used the extended warranty even once.

Ready Go

Reaction score
By that point the aftermarket will have caught up with parts to repair the truck. There is already an aftermarket replacement for the 12" head unit
My EW allows me to go to FCA Dealerships or any SAE Certified Mechanic for repairs, so maybe someday (😉) if my 5.7L "wears out", my buddies speed shop can stroke it out to a 397ci for me🤗.

Quint

Reaction score
I switched from being a long time, frustrated Ford guy. My 2015 developed the Hemi-tick around 60k. By 80k I was getting warnings about a misfire in Cylinder 5. Eventually around 105k someone correctly diagnosed it as cam & lifter failure. I then bought a 2021 and my first ever extended warranty. It made me feel better about buying another Ram.

There is no way to know if you'll need it in the future, so it's just a gamble either way. Decide where you want to lay your money.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I look at an Extended Warranty as a form of insurance policy. You need to be a combination electrical engineer, mechanic and contortionist to work on just about any newer vehicle these days. That and a small fortune in specialty tools is also needed. I've got a 21 LoneStar bought in 3/21 and is now just shy of 50k miles. I bought a factory extended warranty just before the standard one expired. Got a 7yr/unlimited mileage for roughly $4,200 if I recall correctly. I'm good until 3/28 now.

Kingkong55555

Reaction score
Hi all,

One of the extended warranties from third party provider in Canada is offering the attached full warranty for 10 years or 200000kms at the same price as quoted by dealer. The dealer term period is 7 years and 115000kms. The only issue with third party is their reputation and the worry that they might make me run from repair shop to repair shop to get the best cost-effective deal. I am not a tech person so don't understand the fine prints in the attached document. Are all the major components covered under this 3rd party EW?

For chrysler warranty, I don't have to sweat it out since it is covered North America wide. The only problem with chrysler/ram warranty is their duration and kms limit which is way more inferior to the third party. I am really in a huge dilemma. Not sure if I should trust the third party in Canada. In the USA, owing to lot of competition, the laws are more strict and companies try to live upto their reputation. In canada, we dont have lemon laws and it is upto the consumer to figure out. Hope I am lucky with this truck regardless of which way I am going as far as extended warranty is concerned. If anyone from Canada has experience with EW, please advise.

Attachments

• 1. Fully Loaded Terms and Conditions 2023.pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 2

Bob.

Reaction score
Thanks bob,

Thanks for the comments.
My truck is still a baby. Approaching 10,000 soon but I drive 8 miles a day round trip to work. I and you should change the oil twice a year because of climate and me because of super short trips. I use regular oil, I won't use synthetic because I dump it out with 1,500 mikes or more for work every 6 months. When motor oil is 1/2 used up when cold outside it won't flow like it did when new, you hear the lifters tap and things like that when the engine fires up first thing in the morning, so keep the oil fresh to avoid those conditions.

My trucks go about 13-15 years and the body's are shot. Brake lines, gas lines are all failing. Yes I rinse them underneath with clean water every week when I can in the winter but that salt they apply here is a killer. I even have hot water coming out of the tap, so I don't freeze my hands every week. About 25 degrees and up she gets rinsed off like clock work.
They don't offer rust proofing here any longer, I think rust proofing is mostly a scam. Once the salt finds its way under the coating the body is a goner, unless your religious on trying to keep them clean in the winter.

dajogejr

Reaction score
YMMV
In 2015 I bought a limited with all the options. Great truck. I paid $2500 for unlimited max care (no longer offered). I put $100 down, $100 a month for two years, zero interest. It was too easy not to. $100 deductible.
My truck never left me stranded, but prior to trading it in with a little over 140…I more than got my money out of it.
I had my truck in for air ride/suspension at least 4 times I could remember.
Rear end replaced, seals. Compressor for air ride, seals, lines replaced 2x. New front end parts. Leaking sunroof seals. Water Pump, tensioner, belt. Driver side window switches. Rear Main seal. Both exhaust manifold gaskets. New 8.4 radio twice. Ram box latches/locking mechanisms. I’m sure there are a few others I’m forgetting over 8 years and 140K miles. When I traded it in, the air ride was starting to act up again, dealer couldn’t find the issue..and frankly, it didn’t owe me anything anymore.
All of this after factory powertrain and bumper to bumper was up.

The majority of the time, I was given a dealer loaner to drive for the repairs.

After all of that…and the price of my 2023 is $25K higher than my 2015, no brainer for me. 125K 8yr Max care coming up soon. I hope I never have to use it.
With air ride, 12” radio that controls just about everything, eTorque system…. I’m not taking a chance.

There are no guarantees.. just circumstance and luck.

Last edited:

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
Put me into the 'first time' service plan club. Just had the rear window replaced inside factory warranty, and that was enough to get me to pick up a 7yr/75k from Zeigler. I haven't had major issues with other vehicles, even Chrysler, but with as many options as this truck has, and already getting warranty repairs, it was a no-brainer for me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi all,

One of the extended warranties from third party provider in Canada is offering the attached full warranty for 10 years or 200000kms at the same price as quoted by dealer. The dealer term period is 7 years and 115000kms. The only issue with third party is their reputation and the worry that they might make me run from repair shop to repair shop to get the best cost-effective deal. I am not a tech person so don't understand the fine prints in the attached document. Are all the major components covered under this 3rd party EW?

For chrysler warranty, I don't have to sweat it out since it is covered North America wide. The only problem with chrysler/ram warranty is their duration and kms limit which is way more inferior to the third party. I am really in a huge dilemma. Not sure if I should trust the third party in Canada. In the USA, owing to lot of competition, the laws are more strict and companies try to live upto their reputation. In canada, we dont have lemon laws and it is upto the consumer to figure out. Hope I am lucky with this truck regardless of which way I am going as far as extended warranty is concerned. If anyone from Canada has experience with EW, please advise.
You really can't rely on people in a forum to tell you what a warranty will cover. We could tell you anything. You need to understand it for yourself since you're the one contemplating buying it. I will say that most 3rd party warranties I've had experience with were barely worth the paper they were printed on. Lots of hoops to jump through. You need to understand all the fine print because that's what matters if/when you have a need to make a claim. And that's where they usually get out of covering something. Because in the end they will do everything they can to not pay for a repair. If people think customer service is bad with Ram, try dealing with one of these companies.

Branko

Reaction score
Just get 2019 with 5.7 hemi and 59k mile on truck. Dealer offering extended powertrain warranty 5 years or 150 000 miles for $2750
Im really thinking about it

What you thinking about it guys or somebody who got one and how much you pay for it

Thank you for any advice

Oldphart

Reaction score
Just get 2019 with 5.7 hemi and 59k mile on truck. Dealer offering extended powertrain warranty 5 years or 150 000 miles for $2750
Im really thinking about it

What you thinking about it guys or somebody who got one and how much you pay for it

Thank you for any advice
Look over the paperwork very carefully. All extended warranty start dates are when the vehicle was originally put into service and not additional time/mileage. In your case the warranty may expire some time this year. If indeed he is offering you an additional 5 years from date of your purchase it looks like a decent deal. Remember the mileage will remain at 150,000 and not 209,000 as it seems on the surface.

I bought an unlimited mile 7 year platinium warranty for my 2021 just before the standard one expired. Think I paid 4,200 for it but I'm good until 3/2028 no matter how many miles I have on it. Currently a bit over 50k.

Users who are viewing this thread