5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extang Solid Fold 2.0 - delaminating / bubbles / ripples

bakchr

Reaction score
We were limited as to which toneau covers would work with MFT. I picked the Solid Fold because I thought it looked nice and it installed really easy. But after only 3 days we hit a sunny 75 day and all 3 panels had bubbles/ripples in them. Has anyone seen this? I submitted a warranty claim but maybe they just do that. 20210404_145739.jpg

Attachments

• 20210404_150524.jpg
    20210404_150524.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 24

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
No, they should not do that. It should definitely be replaced.

Reaction score
I just installed an encore on my HD and I have the same thing on 2/3 panels. I just went out after it rained and cooled down and the bubbles are gone. So I'm going to wait and see.

Jim N

Reaction score
Mines doing the same. Haven't had time to submit a warranty claim.

20210326_152440.jpg

bakchr

Reaction score
I just installed an encore on my HD and I have the same thing on 2/3 panels. I just went out after it rained and cooled down and the bubbles are gone. So I'm going to wait and see.
The bubbles do seem to go down when it cools off, but they are still evident that the top layer has seperated. I didn't hear back from Extang with any info, but then got a email that they are shipping a new one.

stronbl

Reaction score
I didn't get the bubbles but I did get cracks in the underside supports and some denting. I also tried to get it reasonably water tight which it never was. I gave up, got rid of my solid fold 2.0 and went with a more expensive Diamondback top. The quality difference is dramatic. The Diamondback is crazy good and is built to very tight tolerances. It's not a cover for everyone, but it is super for what it is. And by the way it is 100% water tight, dust tight too.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I didn't get the bubbles but I did get cracks in the underside supports and some denting. I also tried to get it reasonably water tight which it never was. I gave up, got rid of my solid fold 2.0 and went with a more expensive Diamondback top. The quality difference is dramatic. The Diamondback is crazy good and is built to very tight tolerances. It's not a cover for everyone, but it is super for what it is. And by the way it is 100% water tight, dust tight too.
I'm with you on the DiamondBack. Hung out with a Extang Black Max Snap for 2 years while trying to figure out the pros and cons of my finalist list. Removing tools at the end of the day became too much and opted for the most secure cover. That and the new at the time "smooth black finish".

stronbl

Reaction score
I'm with you on the DiamondBack. Hung out with a Extang Black Max Snap for 2 years while trying to figure out the pros and cons of my finalist list. Removing tools at the end of the day became too much and opted for the most secure cover. That and the new at the time "smooth black finish".
I got the new "smooth black" too. I really like the cover and the look.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got the new "smooth black" too. I really like the cover and the look.
Yeah - it was good move by DiamondBack, pushed me over the edge to drop the $$$. I left the cleats off for now, eventually I will add them when the need arises.

Users who are viewing this thread