5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ext Warranty value?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you just got to make sure what plan you buy, I honestly didn't see this plan option listed when I purchase mine,
I have the max care but with out money back so prorated for me if I ever cancel it
Just always read the fine print for everything.
I'm not sure if it's just for ones through Zeigler as the actual documentation just references cancel and transfers and those are both prorated.
For the full money back the time needs to run out you can't cancel early, and you must legally own the vehicle so it's not like you can sell it and just wait 5 years to process the full refund.

Extended warranties insurance and all that jazz is always a gamble and you hope to come out on top.

I have never had a major repair needed in anything I have and I have even had problems with warranty claims for vehicles that are under 3 years old so I have though about getting an extended one, but for me it probably would not work out for some random reason.

Can check out this website as they offer a lot and have a lot of good documentation you can pull out, with actual coverage lists also not that silly 3-4 color page pamphlet we always see.

John Galt

Reaction score
Not completely accurate, you canceled the plan that's why it was prorated.

If you didn't cancel it and let it run out you get the full amount back (if you didn't use it)
Always read the contracts before you sign anything imo.

View attachment 161294

Here is the information for the full refund if you don't use the plan
View attachment 161295

You can get the warranty and only attempt to use it if you blow your engine or tranny or whatever and then hope your total cost of ALL repairs are under what the contract price is.
Or you can use it on every little thing and just hope the repairs are higher then the total price.

If I didn't have a terrible experience with dealerships I would get a powertrain one but I don't think i'm going to have problems with anything expensive (I hope). Never had anything expensive on me go yet on any of my cars\trucks even ones with 180k miles.
This is really good to know! I did really have a choice since I sold the vehicle but “saving“ it for big items and getting a full refund if big items don’t break I can get the whole thing back.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just always read the fine print for everything.
I'm not sure if it's just for ones through Zeigler as the actual documentation just references cancel and transfers and those are both prorated.
For the full money back the time needs to run out you can't cancel early, and you must legally own the vehicle so it's not like you can sell it and just wait 5 years to process the full refund.

Extended warranties insurance and all that jazz is always a gamble and you hope to come out on top.

I have never had a major repair needed in anything I have and I have even had problems with warranty claims for vehicles that are under 3 years old so I have though about getting an extended one, but for me it probably would not work out for some random reason.

Can check out this website as they offer a lot and have a lot of good documentation you can pull out, with actual coverage lists also not that silly 3-4 color page pamphlet we always see.
I probably would have taken that gamble with the money back warranty

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Not completely accurate, you canceled the plan that's why it was prorated.

If you didn't cancel it and let it run out you get the full amount back (if you didn't use it)
Always read the contracts before you sign anything imo.

View attachment 161294

Here is the information for the full refund if you don't use the plan
View attachment 161295

You can get the warranty and only attempt to use it if you blow your engine or tranny or whatever and then hope your total cost of ALL repairs are under what the contract price is.
Or you can use it on every little thing and just hope the repairs are higher then the total price.

If I didn't have a terrible experience with dealerships I would get a powertrain one but I don't think i'm going to have problems with anything expensive (I hope). Never had anything expensive on me go yet on any of my cars\trucks even ones with 180k miles.
This page is from 2017 and I don't see this moneyback guarantee in 2023 contract anymore...

However, just pulled the trigger and purchased 5 years 60k miles maximum protection plan for my 2020 Rebel. I think $880 worth living worry-free (mostly) for 2 more years after factory warranty expires.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This page is from 2017 and I don't see this moneyback guarantee in 2023 contract anymore...

However, just pulled the trigger and purchased 5 years 60k miles maximum protection plan for my 2020 Rebel. I think $880 worth living worry-free (mostly) for 2 more years after factory warranty expires.
I responded to a post in 2023 responding to someone who responded to someone looking for coverage on their 2023 truck.
I posted the documentation that I just found on the internet last month idk what else to tall ya.

Edit: still there at the link I posted in 2023...
Screenshot_20230712-090838050.jpg

RamOrGoat

Reaction score
Easy Care TotalCare vs Mopar Max Care:
I have a 2020 CPO Ram 1500 that I just bought. The dealer wrote me a policy for EasyCare MaxCare. I have since called Zeigler about a Max Care plan and received some incredible quotes.

My dealer will now either :
1) give me cash back on the EasyCare plan to be price competitive with the Mopar quote. They are also sweetening the EasyCare deal with an extra year of coverage.
2) write me a Mopar plan to match the Zeigler quote.

The dealer says advantages of EasyCare include road hazard tire/wheel repair/replacement, being able to get repair at non-mopar shops, and a prorated refund if I sell the truck early. The road hazard isn't a big deal because the next tires I buy will have road hazard. I'll also only take the truck to a mopar shop anyways, so I'm not too interested in the flexibility of the repair shop. The prorated refund does seem like a nice perk though, but it sounds like Mopar offers that as well.

Anythoughts on Mopar Max Care vs EasyCare TotalCare? How do I go about researching this?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 CPO Ram 1500 that I just bought. The dealer wrote me a policy for EasyCare MaxCare. I have since called Zeigler about a Max Care plan and received some incredible quotes.

1) give me cash back on the EasyCare plan to be price competitive with the Mopar quote. They are also sweetening the EasyCare deal with an extra year of coverage.

The dealer says advantages of EasyCare include road hazard tire/wheel repair/replacement, being able to get repair at non-mopar shops, and a prorated refund if I sell the truck early. The road hazard isn't a big deal because the next tires I buy will have road hazard. I'll also only take the truck to a mopar shop anyways, so I'm not too interested in the flexibility of the repair shop. The prorated refund does seem like a nice perk though, but it sounds like Mopar offers that as well.

Anythoughts on Mopar Max Care vs EasyCare TotalCare? How do I go about researching this?
You can look at the mopar max care on Zeiglers website.
For easycare there is nothing to look up, it's just an insurance policy.
Read every single word on your document don't believe a thing your sales person says.
The document is key, and know they can still deny you for anything they want and pretty much get away scot free

John Galt

Reaction score

Maxcare also gives you a prorated refund.

John Galt

Reaction score
You can look at the mopar max care on Zeiglers website.
For easycare there is nothing to look up, it's just an insurance policy.
Read every single word on your document don't believe a thing your sales person says.
The document is key, and know they can still deny you for anything they want and pretty much get away scot free
“Insurance“ is only as good as the company that provides it. What they say they cover isn’t as important as what they actually cover and write a check for when the time comes.

a lot of these third party warranty companies make their money by simply promising the moon and then closing up shop every few years and re-forming under a different name. How do you file a claim when the company no longer exists? This is very common in the homeowner’s coverage policies too. In addition some companies will only cover the bare minimum necessary to get your vehicle “working” rather than replacing a part that should really be replaced. That meets the terms of the warranty.

insurance is always a gamble. Gamble wisely and be prepared to lose. You may win, but be prepared to lose.

remember these extended warranty companies are there to make money. aren’t we all?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with those aftermarket tire warranties. Half of them are insanely hard to use and try to deny everything and they always request to talk and bother the shop doing the work and a lot will refuse to accept them though.
What I generally do is tell the shop just to talk to them, I will get them on the phone and I'll pay out of pocket and get paid back after via check in the mail. Most of these claim companies allow you to pay as long as they approve it, else they like to fax a credit card number over, yes fax.

John Galt

Reaction score
I have had good luck with those aftermarket tire warranties. Half of them are insanely hard to use and try to deny everything and they always request to talk and bother the shop doing the work and a lot will refuse to accept them though.
What I generally do is tell the shop just to talk to them, I will get them on the phone and I'll pay out of pocket and get paid back after via check in the mail. Most of these claim companies allow you to pay as long as they approve it, else they like to fax a credit card number over, yes fax.
Ugh. My fax machine retired and moved to Florida in like 1995

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ugh. My fax machine retired and moved to Florida in like 1995
General Motors is still in the 20th century. My girlfriends dad retired there. She can still get what they call a "legacy" discount. They needed papers to be faxed. It was hard as hell to find a fax machine anywhere. Went to a local UPS store, that had one, but they didn't know how to use it. Finally tried a friends small business. They had one, but said it hadn't been used in years. They couldn't believe GM was so behind the times.

spyder

Reaction score
I need to go dig through my paperwork. I paid the dealer for an extended warranty when I bought it (yea I know, cheaper to do it differently but I didn't), but I don't see it on my Ram app and I got a lot of emails for the first year from Ram saying I didn't have an extended warranty and I should get one. Always meant to look in to it and see wtf happened. I'm coming up on end of 36/36 and guess I should figure out if I got hosed or not.

John Galt

Reaction score
General Motors is still in the 20th century. My girlfriends dad retired there. She can still get what they call a "legacy" discount. They needed papers to be faxed. It was hard as hell to find a fax machine anywhere. Went to a local UPS store, that had one, but they didn't know how to use it. Finally tried a friends small business. They had one, but said it hadn't been used in years. They couldn't believe GM was so behind the times.
I have a video on how to use a fax machine……on Betamax

RamOrGoat

Reaction score

I wanted to follow up with y'all on what I decided to do.

TLDR: I opted to keep the EasyCare policy because the company has been around since the 80's, the price match reimbursement, the additional two years of coverage, and the confirmation that the closer Ram dealer accepts it.

Longer version: I looked into EasyCare as a company. They have been around since the 80's and have a good BBB rating. Customer review scores are mixed. I also called a service advisor at my closest Ram dealer (not the dealer I purchased from) and they confirmed that they accept EasyCare, they see it often, and they don't have problem with reimbursement. I also called Zeigler and got a quote. The quoted rate was not available on their website because the truck has a CPO warranty and was under 3 yr of service. I would advise calling them rather than just taking the online rate. I called my dealer with the competing Zeigler quote. They offered to either 1) write a matching MaxCare quote, or 2) reimburse the price difference on my EasyCare policy and let me keep the two additional years I had on the EasyCare policy. I opted to keep the EasyCare policy in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread