5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ext Warranty value?

TripleB

Reaction score
Two previous trucks I determined the exhaust manifolds cracking at high miles was a common enough occurrence. Might as well get a ext warranty for the anticipated expense.

But i never keep the truck long enough. The last truck the manifold cracked while still under warranty.

Hoping this truck will be the last last unless they come out with flying truck or something.

I am out of state for a few days but i miss my new Ram.

Interested in any view people like to share on ext warranty’s.

Thanks.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
in case stuff happens - currently have it on my 21 5th gen and had it before in other vehicles. Its prorated so you can get some money back if you cancel.
From what I have read from other members it won't cover another common issue - leaking rear window

John Galt

Reaction score
I’ve had extended warranties on my last 2 vehicles.

one was a Ford Escape which I put 180k miles on - the warranty DID pay for itself. The other was my 2019 Durango which I traded before the factory warranty ran out.

I buy the extended warranty to cover the big stuff. I don’t need every little annoyance covered, I need the big unplanned 4-figure plus stuff covered. I hope I won’t need it but I’m basically making a $2500 (or so) bet which is a planned expense. Either way I win.…that is if I don’t end up selling the vehicle before the coverage even starts.

I usually wait about a year to decide if I’m going to keep the vehicle or sell it when the warranty runs out.

I fully intended to keep the Durango and I was very happy with it, but I should have researched more about towing and gotten a truck instead. That’s why I bought the 100k mile 6 year warranty but it became clear around year 3 I needed a truck to even think about towing an RV of a decent size.

Now I have the Ram 1500 and as soon as spend some time with it and see how well its made and how it behaves with an RV I’ll decide if I want the extended warranty or if I’m going to trade it for an HD when the warranty expires and start the process over.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t bought an extended warranty in 35 years. Amazingly I never once in that time needed one for any reason whatsoever over the course of a dozen new vehicles and dang near a million miles. I must be the luckiest guy around. If anything major happens and I have to pay out of pocket I’m still WAY ahead for a LONG time. Probably saved enough over the years to pay for at least one of those new trucks.

barrak

Reaction score
Between myself and my wife, we bought 10 vehicles new over the past 40 years. Bought an extended warranty for three of them. Only one of the three paid for itself. One of the remaining 7 would have really benefited from one. So I guess, there's a 20% chance an extended warranty would pay for itself.

If one is not on solid financial footing, then a planned extended warranty expense is much preferred to a catastrophic expenditure at the worst possible time.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I’ll be adding one before my 3/36 runs out. My biggest regret on my F150 was not adding one. After 5 years of near constant problems, the warranty ran out and the problems didn’t stop, which is why I have a Ram today.

I’d rather have the peace of mind knowing the big stuff is covered. While I’m perfectly capable of doing pretty much any repairs, I just don’t want to the older I get.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
I bought 8/120 MaxCare for my Grand Cherokee from Zeigler and still had 1 year left when I sold it. Never used it but it was for peace of mind. My Ram dealer couldn't even come close to what Zeigler quoted me for 2023 Ram. My understanding is that if you buy from Zeigler, you cannot get your money back if you don't use it or sell your vehicle early. Whereas, some dealers who sell for higher price has that default provision from FCA to give your pro-rated refund.

When I bought the MaxCare from Zeigler, it took 2-3 days before it showed up on my Jeep owner site.

Also, another option is to go with your insurance. Geico is offering me to take up on mechanical replair warranty for only $240 a year.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Never had an extended warranty on my cars before, but considering getting it from Zeigler. $880 for 2 extra years, up to 60k miles. I already had an exhaust manifold replaced a month ago, plus leaking rear window this winter.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I bought 8/120 MaxCare for my Grand Cherokee from Zeigler and still had 1 year left when I sold it. Never used it but it was for peace of mind. My Ram dealer couldn't even come close to what Zeigler quoted me for 2023 Ram. My understanding is that if you buy from Zeigler, you cannot get your money back if you don't use it or sell your vehicle early. Whereas, some dealers who sell for higher price has that default provision from FCA to give your pro-rated refund.

When I bought the MaxCare from Zeigler, it took 2-3 days before it showed up on my Jeep owner site.

Also, another option is to go with your insurance. Geico is offering me to take up on mechanical replair warranty for only $240 a year.
Actually you can. This is what Zeigler responded to me:

The contract can be transferred to 1 new owner. Mopar has a $50 transfer fee. Should that owner sell the vehicle, they cannot transfer it again. The contract is then Null and Void.
You can also cancel the contract and get a pro-rated refund. Mopar has a $75 cancelation fee and the refund is pro-rated less time or mileage (whichever is greater) and services rendered.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

I wouldn't trust Geico, or any other car insurance company on a "mechanical repair" warranty.
If you think getting into an accident affects your monthly bill, just wait until they replace your engine under "warranty" and your policy becomes 8k a year.

N0cturnal

Reaction score

The contract can be transferred to 1 new owner. Mopar has a $50 transfer fee. Should that owner sell the vehicle, they cannot transfer it again. The contract is then Null and Void.
You can also cancel the contract and get a pro-rated refund. Mopar has a $75 cancelation fee and the refund is pro-rated less time or mileage (whichever is greater) and services rendered.
Thanks! Will give it a call and see if I can recoup some of the money or have it added towards my new Truck.

CatServant

Reaction score
I don’t normally get extended warranties, but with the known Hemi lifter issues, I will likely get one before my factory warranty expires to soften that big expense when it comes.

John Galt

Reaction score
Between myself and my wife, we bought 10 vehicles new over the past 40 years. Bought an extended warranty for three of them. Only one of the three paid for itself. One of the remaining 7 would have really benefited from one. So I guess, there's a 20% chance an extended warranty would pay for itself.

If one is not on solid financial footing, then a planned extended warranty expense is much preferred to a catastrophic expenditure at the worst possible time.
This is exactly the math that runs the extended warranty business. if 80% of the time the warranty doesn‘t need to pay out then the business model works.

for the consumer it’s a bet with. planned expense with a known price tag against an unplanned expense with an unknown one.

John Galt

Reaction score

you absolutely can! If you sell the vehicle or just decide you want to cancel you can get a pr—rated refund from FCA at any time before the warranty terms run out. I just got $800 back on my 2019 Durango when I traded it.

you can contact FCA directly or Zeigler can do it for you.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
you absolutely can! If you sell the vehicle or just decide you want to cancel you can get a pr—rated refund from FCA at any time before the warranty terms run out. I just got $800 back on my 2019 Durango when I traded it.

you can contact FCA directly or Zeigler can do it for you.
If you don't use the warranty at all at the end you get the entire thing back, not prorated.

John Galt

Reaction score
If you don't use the warranty at all at the end you get the entire thing back, not prorated.
I didn’t. Your coverage “works” even if you’re not using it….much like you don’t get your insurance premium back if you didn’t have any accidents.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn’t. Your coverage “works” even if you’re not using it….much like you don’t get your insurance premium back if you didn’t have any accidents.
Not completely accurate, you canceled the plan that's why it was prorated.

If you didn't cancel it and let it run out you get the full amount back (if you didn't use it)
Always read the contracts before you sign anything imo.

1687450331880.png

Here is the information for the full refund if you don't use the plan
1687450521059.png

You can get the warranty and only attempt to use it if you blow your engine or tranny or whatever and then hope your total cost of ALL repairs are under what the contract price is.
Or you can use it on every little thing and just hope the repairs are higher then the total price.

If I didn't have a terrible experience with dealerships I would get a powertrain one but I don't think i'm going to have problems with anything expensive (I hope). Never had anything expensive on me go yet on any of my cars\trucks even ones with 180k miles.

GrumpyOleMan

Reaction score
Historically, I have never been fan of extended warranties. Margin is huge for the dealer. But, I have purchased one for the last two vehicles I have bought. Simply because of the large amount of electronics in these new vehicles. Only time I actually tried to use an extended warranty it was denied because even though it was described to me as a bumper to bumper, it was in reality an exclusionary police and water intrusion was excluded (third break light leak). Fortunately, the dealer took care of me and replaced it at no cost (not sure how - didn;t want to ask).

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

that is correct and I can confirm this from a previous cancelation and getting a prorated amount on my 4th gen - the process was very simple and hassle free

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not completely accurate, you canceled the plan that's why it was prorated.

If you didn't cancel it and let it run out you get the full amount back (if you didn't use it)
Always read the contracts before you sign anything imo.

View attachment 161294

Here is the information for the full refund if you don't use the plan
View attachment 161295

You can get the warranty and only attempt to use it if you blow your engine or tranny or whatever and then hope your total cost of ALL repairs are under what the contract price is.
Or you can use it on every little thing and just hope the repairs are higher then the total price.

If I didn't have a terrible experience with dealerships I would get a powertrain one but I don't think i'm going to have problems with anything expensive (I hope). Never had anything expensive on me go yet on any of my cars\trucks even ones with 180k miles.
So you just got to make sure what plan you buy, I honestly didn't see this plan option listed when I purchase mine,
I have the max care but with out money back so prorated for me if I ever cancel it

Users who are viewing this thread