5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exploding panoramic sunroof

Av1

Reaction score
I'm curious what is causing the breakage. Hopefully it doesn't turnout to be a widespread problem.

My wife's car also has a panoramic roof and it creaks when pulling into steep drives at an angle. Makes me feel like it's going to shatter.

Derek916

Reaction score
No the cover was closed, thankfully. I was just told today that they FCA won't cover it under warranty. Despite the warranty stating that only the windshield and rear glass are not covered (excluded after 12k/1yr). I have it in writing and will file a formal complaint to FCA. More to follow.
Did they tell you how much it would be to replace?

bucolic

Reaction score
It's not. I've read about this issue for the last few years and it happens on cold and hot days.

I wouldn't sweat it. There are millions of Ram trucks that have panoramic sunroofs and just a very small fraction of owners have experienced this issue.

I agree. Once it happens to you however I can see how you would be wary of sunroofs. I am sure it is a pretty scary thing when it happens.

One can't rule out that a portion of these are from damaged panes. A rock could hit it and you wouldn't know and it causes a pinhole damage that later gives way. Or, it could hit it causing it to break at once and the noise of the impact would not be heard as it would be drowned out by the noise of the fracturing glass.

Just last week I had something that smacked my windshield hard enough to startle me but couldn't see any damage nor even saw what hit it. Hidden damage could be there though and the stresses of driving could cause it to crack later. It's perfectly feasible for a rock or pebble to impact the sunroof.

tigercat74

Reaction score
Nothing to do with a Ram but I hate sunroofs in general. If I ever order a Ram, I would definitely pass on one.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glass can be finicky stuff. Might not have been tempered properly, could have had a tiny chip in the edge that decided to spread, maybe an invisible flaw in the crystalline structure, etc.

I did a short stint as a glass cutter many years ago and developed a healthy fear/respect relationship with it. Had one large sheet shatter while I was holding it. Looked perfectly good, survived shipping on a truck with the rest of the pallet, but just picked it up and held it vertically and *bash*. The rest of the pallet was fine, just one sheet had unresolved internal stress or something. That's why we wore heavy leather gauntlets, and I was glad for them that day.

tcaine

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning, about 50 mph, and out of nowhere there was a loud glass explosion. It scared the **** out of me:eek:. I pulled over to inspect my truck and the first half of the sunroof was shattered. Good thing I had the screen completely closed. But it’s a bummer, my limited just has 1000 miles on it. Drove it to the local dealership and was told it normally takes a day or two for Chrysler to respond on warranty.

Has this happened to anyone?
This just happened to me!!! No vehicle around me, no rock, just shattered.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks. You getting it covered by insurance?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Where are you located? Did you have it tinted (and if so, what kind, specifically heat rejection percent)?

Users who are viewing this thread