5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experienced Utility/ATV/Equipment Trailer User Recommendations: Frame Size vs. Payload Comparison

DevinB

Reaction score
Hello all,
Looking to buy a new Utility/ATV/Equipment trailer (removable side rails). Tandem Axle. GVWR 7000lbs or, more likely, 10000lbs. Will use for three things:
1) moving extremely heavy used woodworking machinery (3000lbs +) on skids or 4x4's...one or two machines at a time as payload allows. Side or rear-loaded with a forklift and then slid into a good spot with a winch or with rollers, then strapped down
2) general utility and moving random items, hauling plywood and lumber, etc.
3) occasionally hauling golf carts or ATV's

Will tow with either my new RAM 1500 Limited on its way (factory ordered--max tow ~ 8300, may payload ~ 1400...so say 800 leftover for tongue weight) or if-needed an F-350 that a few of us (friends) share for hauling.

This would be my 1st trailer purchase (rented or used friends' many times otherwise), and I've been looking at the PJ brand. Their utility trailers and equipment trailers seem perfect for my application as you can keep side rails on or remove them, and with them removed the decking is just slightly higher than the frame, so I can slide things in or out as need and also side load with a forklift. I'm looking at their 16ft long options, as that gives me enough room at the front to side-load full-size pallets in between the front rail and the fender.

My main question for you all has to do with the frame/channel size differences for the same claimed GVWR. They have their utility trailers, as they call them, the U-models all with a 4-inch channel frame that can be option-up to have the same GVWR (because of upgraded axles from 3500lbs to 5200lbs) as their 'Equipment Trailer' which uses a 5" channel frame. But when similarly equipped, the 5" channel frame version is only a few hundred pounds more in base weight but without any extra payload capacity....actually a tad less since it's a few hundred pounds heavier. For example, take their car haulers for an easier comparison:

First the 4" Channel: GVWR 7k, estimated weight 1800 lbs

1613684320227.png

Now the 5" Channel: Same GVWR 7k, estimated weight 2000 lbs...only 200 lbs more but of course less payload with same GVWR....? Why does this exist then....?
1613684488877.png

So let me get this straight. If I get a more heavy-duty trailer with a 5" channel frame instead of a 4" channel frame...my payload capacity goes down because of the extra frame weight? Yes I know that the axles are the same, and they're driving the GVWR. But both size frames must be able to handle the GVWR or else they wouldn't be selling them, so why would someone take the payload hit and go with the 5" channel frame if they're not getting anything out of it except a 200 lbs consequence in base weight. The tie downs would be more heavy-duty, rated for more weight. Would the 5" frame handle/pull better because it would be more rigid? Gotta be something.

Please impart your wisdom & opinions or poke fun at a dumb question if I'm missing something. I can take it :) Appreciate the read.

-Devin

DevinB

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for other forums where structural/engineering aspects of trailers would be discussed? Looks like a lot of views on the thread but no replies. Understand this is probably not the best forum, but since I just ordered a new RAM, figured I'd give this Towing sub-forum a shot.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is it is just a matter of longevity and abuse - commercial applications more likely to get the more HD trailer and run it for many years. We buy all our flatbed and dump trailers from Felling and they are heavy duty and last for a long time.

DevinB

Reaction score
My guess is it is just a matter of longevity and abuse - commercial applications more likely to get the more HD trailer and run it for many years. We buy all our flatbed and dump trailers from Felling and they are heavy duty and last for a long time.
Thanks for the reply. Longevity/abuse argument makes sense, yeah. I suppose my personal use wouldn't come close to the abuse it would sometimes take in commercial use, though I'd be willing to take a few hundred pound payload hit for a more durable trailer, unless someone tells me that it's simply not worth it for personal use.

broken_vet

Reaction score
Very wise to be doing the detailed research into a utility trailer, in my experience mist people don't, and I'm no exception. I have quite a bit of experience with utility trailers for personal use. Until somewhat recently, I really only paid attention to the size of the trailer, and I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't really pay attention to the other specs. I've ended up using trailers with ratings that were much less than I was using them. A couple of years ago while hauling a couple pallets of sod, both axles on the trailer broke on a highway. Very stupid on my part, but that seems to be how I learn things. I scrapped that trailer and the trailer I bought is a 18' deck over with heavier frame and axles, plus a tongue that is long enough to install a wdh. I guess I'm just saying that my advice is to go with the beefier frame and axles. I have family regularly borrowing my trailers, and there's no telling what kind of weights they put on them. These days I just assume that the heaviest weight that I'll put on it will probably be close to double what I originally thought it would be. 16' is perfect length. Some of the cheaper manufacturers will only put brakes on the rear axle, so make sure that you get brakes on both axles. I've also found that mounting a box behind the jack for tie downs, bungies, bottle jack, chocks, hitch lock, gorilla tape, various tools and a tire iron. I know it seems obvious, but don't forget a spare. It's amazing how many utility trailers I see without a spare.

DevinB

Reaction score
Thanks for the input/advice. I would say I’m currently leaning toward the heavier duty frame, since it’s only a few hundred pounds of payload hit. Both trailers would have the same axles and there would be brakes on both axles of either trailer type.

mr.jacobmc

Reaction score
I've been looking over car haulers in the 5200lb axles, all the well known use 5" channel. Even a slight jump to 12000lb rating with 6k axles puts you over into 6" channel, 5" isn't an option. The nicest car hauler wise I've found that I like and will get sometime is a lamar. Pj seem to be good but most hot shotters I've seen around me run load trail, diamond c, or maxxd

Last edited:

DevinB

Reaction score
I've been looking over car haulers in the 5200lb axles, all the well known use 5" channel. Even a slight jump to 12000lb rating with 6k axles puts you over into 6" channel, 5" isn't an option. The nicest car hauler wise I've found that I like and will get sometime is a lamar. Pj seem to be good but most hot shotters I've seen around me run load trail, diamond c, or loadmaxx
Thanks for the reply. Will take another look at Lamar and others you mentioned as well.

mr.jacobmc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Will take another look at Lamar and others you mentioned as well.
On the load Max, it's actually Maxx-d. Not sure how I confused that up, load max is actually load trail

Big tex around here is popular in my small town due to how big the dealer is but couple farmers question their durability. Especially the full width ramps

Users who are viewing this thread