5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected MPG Loss?

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many MPG should I expect to lose from going from:

Stock suspension with 275/55/R20

to

2" Level with 285/60/R20

Anyone have a rough estimate that did this switch?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends heavily on the new the tire you go with, literally, how heavy are they compared to the stockers. That and tread pattern, the more aggressive the worse the hit is. On average though, 2-3 is the norm.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
31.9" vs 33.5" plus level, 2-3 mpg as mentioned by Silversurfer is about right.

Also, your speedo will be off about 3 mpg at 60 mph.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
31.9" vs 33.5" plus level, 2-3 mpg as mentioned by Silversurfer is about right.

Also, your speedo will be off about 3 mpg at 60 mph.
Yeah - bought the rough country speed calibrator to correct that issue.

Thank you

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends heavily on the new the tire you go with, literally, how heavy are they compared to the stockers. That and tread pattern, the more aggressive the worse the hit is. On average though, 2-3 is the norm.
I believe they are 20lbs more per tire - 80lbs total.

Edit: 13.5lbs more per tire than what I have now - 54lbs total

Last edited:
U

User_21361

I lost about 5 with the front and back level, hardling lost anything going to 35s
Can you expand on this (details about your driving habits and truck specs)? Losing 5 on the level alone blows my mind. That's a 20-30% reduction. I'm averaging 15 on my rebel and considering leveling. Don't really want a 10 mpg truck though haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Roddog2220

Reaction score
dont know what you mean by expand, i went from 20 to 15 with the readylift, i drive like an old man but 90percent city, havent seen many lose this much but i certainly did

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lost about 1 mpg, maybe a bit more, when I switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/60/r20 on my non-leveled and non-lifted Ram. Averaging about 16.5 Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Nitto Ridge Grappler 6.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 6.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler 7.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 7.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 85

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you aren’t comparing someone white a non rebel truck, 5mpg loss makes sense for someone going from a P rated all season on a Laramie or big horn or whatever and moving to a 33-35 E range aggressive tire.

You basically already have that with a Rebel from the factory, so the difference won’t be as drastic.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
Make sure you aren’t comparing someone white a non rebel truck, 5mpg loss makes sense for someone going from a P rated all season on a Laramie or big horn or whatever and moving to a 33-35 E range aggressive tire.

You basically already have that with a Rebel from the factory, so the difference won’t be as drastic.

my mpg loss was with the same wheels and tires, stock, the level alone cost me 5 mpg

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lost about 1 mpg, maybe a bit more, when I switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/60/r20 on my non-leveled and non-lifted Ram. Averaging about 16.5 Here's a couple of pics.
Yeah expecting about 2mpg - im around 14.5 now but I got a lead foot - ill be more careful when its starting to cost me a lot more in gas

pber1

Reaction score
How many MPG should I expect to lose from going from:

Stock suspension with 275/55/R20

to

2" Level with 285/60/R20

Anyone have a rough estimate that did this switch?
Shouldn’t be much. I lost about 5mpg with a 6” lift and 35” tires. Safe to say you’d lose 2-3mpg at most.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lifting the truck, especially that minimal amount, has very little effect on the mileage. Maybe if you are driving around in a constant wind storm it could be more exaggerated . I mean when you lower a truck do you gain massive mpg increases? Ram did the lowered aero mode and valance non sense for like a .3-.5 mileage increase in peak conditions.

The part that kills me is saying you lost no mileage to a bigger, heavier, more aggressive tire. And then implying that people should expect to lose 5mpg to a level.

I mean it’s very unlikely that he was even getting 20 in the first place. I’ve owned 3 hemi trucks, non of them have gotten 20 including the 2wd one.

Claiming 20mpg with 34” ko2??? o_O

And lastly the millennial comment, I mean what is that? I’m about as opposite as it gets, evidenced by the fact that I’m at this very moment calling out what I know to be false statements instead of just saying something like “everyone is different”.

I assume you don’t have your stock wheels anymore, but if you do, toss them on and watch your mileage and acceleration go back up.

U

User_21361

Lifting the truck, especially that minimal amount, has very little effect on the mileage. Maybe if you are driving around in a constant wind storm it could be more exaggerated . I mean when you lower a truck do you gain massive mpg increases? Ram did the lowered aero mode and valance non sense for like a .3-.5 mileage increase in peak conditions.

This what I would have expected logically which is why I asked about driving habits for the mileage loss. For city driving, I typically get 14-15 at best.

Roddog2220

Reaction score

The part that kills me is saying you lost no mileage to a bigger, heavier, more aggressive tire. And then implying that people should expect to lose 5mpg to a level.

I mean it’s very unlikely that he was even getting 20 in the first place. I’ve owned 3 hemi trucks, non of them have gotten 20 including the 2wd one.

Claiming 20mpg with 34” ko2??? o_O

And lastly the millennial comment, I mean what is that? I’m about as opposite as it gets, evidenced by the fact that I’m at this very moment calling out what I know to be false statements instead of just saying something like “everyone is different”.

I assume you don’t have your stock wheels anymore, but if you do, toss them on and watch your mileage and acceleration go back up.

what i meant by millenials is they usually think they know it all and seem to have reading comprehension problems

i was getting high 19s low 20 mpg on stock wheels and tires then after the readylift it went down to low 15s, same wheels and tires, added the 34 inch k0s and it only went down to high 14s, i am now running 35s and it is mid 14s, same driver, i buy a new truck every 2 years, lifted or leveled every one of them, this is the first time I have seen this kind of mpg reduction, normally it was 3-4 max

and your statement about lifting it having little effect on mileage is completely false, but much expected!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread