5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion valve install

Synergy26

Reaction score
Does the new expansion valve need calibration? I noticed there is a allen wrench adjustment scre in or out at the bottom of the expansion valve? Does it need to be adjusted or does it come from denso pre adjusted? Any tech know that can tell me, going to replace it because my ac makes a hissing sound when cycling and starting from cold. TIA

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No adjustments needed, your hissing sound may be from a low system charge

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Don't monkey with that setting.

Strange noises on startup or after shutdown are not necessarily anything to be worried about. The expansion valve is where the refrigerant changes state from liquid to gas, so there may be noise until things stabilize or after shutoff. The ultimate test of AC is: Does it get cold?

And before you break into the system, have someone put some gauges on it and see if it's over or undercharged.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Not over or under charged hiss at startup like pressure change doesn't bother me. It's the constant regular hiss I hear when the compressor is cycling on and off I can hear in front passenger side. Not over or under charged. Idk what the cause it

Users who are viewing this thread