5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exiting from the back of the truck when locked.

seansmd

Reaction score
Tried searching no luck, 2023 limited, come to a stop, put in park, front passengers can exit by opening the door handles. Rear requires push of the front unlock button or lifting the pin. I'm sure there is a setting I am missing.

Any help?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the rear doors have child safety locks. See if there are holes where you can insert a screwdriver and change how that works.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Turn off the kiddie lock feature in Uconnect. I think it is default so the little Einsteins don't fall out of the truck yanking on the handle. Personally I think Darwin should thin the herd.

vincentw56

Reaction score
If only there was a manual for this type of stuff.

To Engage Or Disengage The Child-Protection Door Lock System

1. Open the rear door.
2. Insert the tip of the emergency key or screw driver into the lock and rotate to the LOCK or UNLOCK position.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the opposite rear door.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure this doesn't work. There has been discussion on this before, and I have the same problem. My kid can't get out of the back unless I physically unlock the doors. Yes, I've confirmed that the child-lock protection is set to "unlock".

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a thread about it (from the TRX forum).

vincentw56

Reaction score
Pretty sure this doesn't work. There has been discussion on this before, and I have the same problem. My kid can't get out of the back unless I physically unlock the doors. Yes, I've confirmed that the child-lock protection is set to "unlock".
I misread it. Yes, you have to manually unlock the door or pull the pin. The child lock requires the outside handle to be pulled. There is no way that I know of to override this.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or open driver or passenger door first and all doors will unlock. Almost every new vehicle is this way. My wife's Tra erse will unlock doors when you put shifter in parking, but otherwise, on rear doors you have to hit unlock button

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Or open driver or passenger door first and all doors will unlock. Almost every new vehicle is this way. My wife's Tra erse will unlock doors when you put shifter in parking, but otherwise, on rear doors you have to hit unlock button
I keep my rear doors locked.
There are options at least in UC5 on a 2022, I believe default was open all doors and i turned it off.
Do 2023s have the same UC5 interface on the head unit?

My kids can get out, but only after I hit the unlock button on the door, I don't use the child lock

seansmd

Reaction score
So after laughing at some of these responses.....

I did some debugging, the car has to be turned off and the driver door opened, or hit the unlock button, then all 4 unlock. If you leave the car running or don't open the door the rear passenger has to lift the plunger. If the kiddie locks are engaged there is no way to open from the inside back.

vincentw56

Reaction score
So after laughing at some of these responses.....

I did some debugging, the car has to be turned off and the driver door opened, or hit the unlock button, then all 4 unlock. If you leave the car running or don't open the door the rear passenger has to lift the plunger. If the kiddie locks are engaged there is no way to open from the inside back.
You can press the unlock button while the car is running even when in gear and it will unlock all the doors allowing people in the back to get out. I do this all the time and it lets them get in and out with no issues.

seansmd

Reaction score
You can press the unlock button while the car is running even when in gear and it will unlock all the doors allowing people in the back to get out. I do this all the time and it lets them get in and out with no issues.
This is true, I always forget they start jamming on the handles. 😜

seansmd

Reaction score
My kids have learned to wait until I hit the unlock key, because they know there's nothing they can do. I sometimes will even get out and not unlock it for them if they get antsy and just look into the window.
That's funny, I was also watching the thread about removing the plunger so it doesn't hurt your arm and allow thieves to drill through the window to unlock. Without the plunger in the back you are at the mercy of the driver.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's funny, I was also watching the thread about removing the plunger so it doesn't hurt your arm and allow thieves to drill through the window to unlock. Without the plunger in the back you are at the mercy of the driver.
I tried to find some "low profile" plungers and I couldn't find any that didn't look terrible.
If someone needs to use the plunger they are probably doing something wrong or my truck died and F it at that point.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I removed the plunger in the front on both sides because I had some passengers get their arm caught in it. I plugged the holes with a body plug. But I didn't do it because someone is going to steal or break into my truck. I have insurance for that.

T-TownPig

Reaction score
If only there was a manual for this type of stuff.

To Engage Or Disengage The Child-Protection Door Lock System

1. Open the rear door.
2. Insert the tip of the emergency key or screw driver into the lock and rotate to the LOCK or UNLOCK position.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the opposite rear door.
Your response is not quite as wise as you might think it is. My child locks are off and my truck does the same thing the original poster describes.

T-TownPig

Reaction score
I believe the rear doors have child safety locks. See if there are holes where you can insert a screwdriver and change how that works.
This is different than the child locks. My child locks are off and I have the same problem.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Your response is not quite as wise as you might think it is. My child locks are off and my truck does the same thing the original poster describes.
Well, maybe you should read the entire thread and see my other posts before passing judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread