5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust

Iltoys

Reaction score
I've been watching some videos and it seems the resonators need to come off for any kind of sound difference.

Looking to get magnaflow 18" and wondering if the resonators should come off to make any difference

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Check out B2 Fabrication. I just installed their "moderate" muffler and resonator delete kit. I started the truck after replacing the muffler before removing the resonators and there was mild sound difference. After removing the resonators, the difference was significant, but not overwhelming at all. It is very difficult to describe exhaust note as it is so subjective. I'm happy with this setup.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been watching some videos and it seems the resonators need to come off for any kind of sound difference.

Looking to get magnaflow 18" and wondering if the resonators should come off to make any difference

I would say no. I have a Flowmaster Outlaw and it sounds awesome. It was a simple muffler switch, and trust me, my truck is loud (in a good way).

There are many examples of people on this forum switching mufflers but having to go back due to the sound being so much louder than they expected. So no, you don't have to remove the resonators to have a change in sound.

The resonators in the rear have 4 weep holes each (2 front & 2 rear), so they sound rather "airy" at cold start, but you can cover the rear weep holes with JB weld and leave the ones in the front open for moisture removal. The front resonator helps with reducing cab drone at highway speeds, I would leave that one alone.

Unless you go with a tuned aftermarket exhaust (like Borla) however, you will get a resonance/drone when the truck is in MDS 4-cylinder mode. I simply disable my MDS, which I would do anyways regardless.

Last edited:

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score

Here's the video I made. I started the truck stock, with just the B2 Fab moderate muffler (resonators still in place), then with the B2 Fab muffler in place and resonators removed. Audio isn't great (it's tough to capture exhaust notes), but you can definitely hear the difference from each step.

TaterRam

Reaction score

Here's the video I made. I started the truck stock, with just the B2 Fab moderate muffler (resonators still in place), then with the B2 Fab muffler in place and resonators removed. Audio isn't great (it's tough to capture exhaust notes), but you can definitely hear the difference from each step.
Have you had a chance to check out any drone with the Resi’s gone? I know it hasn’t been long but get any towing in? Taking a hard look at B2, if they have a sale instead of going with a full Borla kit.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Have you had a chance to check out any drone with the Resi’s gone? I know it hasn’t been long but get any towing in? Taking a hard look at B2, if they have a sale instead of going with a full Borla kit.

No towing yet, but I have noticed no drone with normal driving. I have some highway driving to do this weekend for a hunting trip; I can report back.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Noise is very subjective in many ways. I was originally a little concerned that my Borla S-type would be too loud, but how wrong I was. It gave me the throaty, mean-sounding and about the right loudness that I was looking for. I certainly wouldn't want to **** off my neighbors anymore than I already do... I'm still new-ish to this neighborhood! :D

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
No towing yet, but I have noticed no drone with normal driving. I have some highway driving to do this weekend for a hunting trip; I can report back.

Got back from my hunting trip. Put about 300 miles on the truck. I'm very please with the noise level of the B2 Fab set up. As we mentioned above, sound is subjective. Might be a VERY minimal amount of drone for me at 1500 RPM but it is not bothersome at all. I would have no problem taking the truck on a long road trip. I'm still working on some fine tuning of positioning the exhaust tips and hangers. I also need to add a sealant like Permatex to some joints as well. Rear muffler connection has a leak. The directions suggest doing this - I should have done it the first time.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did the B2 muffler on my 2019. Was happy, but wanted a bit more. Did the B2 resonator delete and was not really happy at all. Got drone within a certain RPM and gear range. Just completed the B2 muffler on my 2021, but will NOT do the resonator delete!

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The resonators are responsible for limiting drone in the cab. They don't really have much bearing on changing the tone or volume in a significant way.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Deleting resonators increased volume of my exhaust as well. I have maybe a very slight "drone" at 1500 RPMs - not significant or bothersome at all.

Users who are viewing this thread