5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust vs Muffler swap

cole33

Reaction score
Hey Everyone new to the forum. Thought someone might have done this or had 1st hand experience with this.

Had 2021 Rebel, and now just picked up a 2022 Limited.

On the rebel I had a Borla ATAK exhaust which was awesome. On this new ride, I'm thinking of just buying a borla muffler and not dropping the grand + on a full exhaust if I'm just looking for the sound profile.

Anybody JUST add a borla muffler and not the full exhaust as the exhaust LOOKS like it's just a muffler and basically the same pipes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone new to the forum. Thought someone might have done this or had 1st hand experience with this.

Had 2021 Rebel, and now just picked up a 2022 Limited.

On the rebel I had a Borla ATAK exhaust which was awesome. On this new ride, I'm thinking of just buying a borla muffler and not dropping the grand + on a full exhaust if I'm just looking for the sound profile.

Anybody JUST add a borla muffler and not the full exhaust as the exhaust LOOKS like it's just a muffler and basically the same pipes.
The Borla ATAK crate muffler they sell isn't the same as the one used on the full system. So not the same sound. Plus you will still have the factory resonators, unless you remove those. And the stock 4" tips instead of the 5" tips the full exhaust comes with.

cole33

Reaction score
Yeah, I was gonna delete the resonators, and understand the mufflers might be a bit different, but wondering if the sound is good enough to save the 700 bucks.

Ducky5

Reaction score
I can't talk on Borla but I just swapped the muffler on my 15 Laramie because I didn't want to drop the money on a full exhaust. I didn't delete any resonators or anything and I loved it, great noise without all the money.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No experience with Borla. Shortly after I bought my current truck I swapped out the stock muffler for a Flowmaster American Thunder. Easy bolt on with no cutting and sound was absolutely perfect for me. It got a bit louder after 100,000 miles but still sounds great. I was disappointed to find out that exact muffler was no longer available for 5th Gens and didn’t quite like the sound of others plus most required cutting to install. Figured this time around I’m buying a bolt on cat back system so ordered the G/T exhaust. Cost is over double what a good muffler is but I really like the sound.

bpwj76

Reaction score
I have a Magnaflow muffler on mine with the stock resonators. It sounds throatier than stock for sure. I would think that a Borla muffler and resonator delete should give you even more growl.

Here's a cold-start clip of my Magnaflow.

NRitland2

Reaction score
I have a Magnaflow muffler on mine with the stock resonators. It sounds throatier than stock for sure. I would think that a Borla muffler and resonator delete should give you even more growl.

Here's a cold-start clip of my Magnaflow.

I can second this. Magnaflow muffler sounds great! Good price shipped, and easy install

LostAggie

Reaction score
I just did the Flowmaster Outlaw direct replacement muffler and it sounds great. Glad I tried this first before dropping $1500 on full exhaust and install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread