5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Upgrades in California

meandzen77

Reaction score
Any members have thoughts on exhaust upgrades for Californians? I am moving back and it appears I can’t do any mods to headers or add cold air intake. I can upgrade exhaust but must result in less than 95 decibels or something. I’m curious if any CA folks have went with a muffler replacement or cat back upgrade. Not sure yet which route I will go. I believe Mopar did get CARB approval for their ungodly expensive cold air intake but not sure it’ll be worth it.

Hallbag

Reaction score
I have the mopar catback and the “ungodly expensive” ram air. No issues from cops, dealer or the like. Obviously haven’t brought it in for a smog test yet since I believe I have 7 years with new car?

vdemarco

Reaction score
You can add that stuff in California, and smog your truck. Just make sure you have the carb executive order number, best as a sticker somewhere in the engine compartment, or the documentation for the part.
the smog place will look up the eo and if its there you should be fine.
From my looking around, if its for sale in CA its generally fine, but unless you want to take that stuff off for smog, make sure it has an executive order number.

RamVader

Reaction score
I ordered the QTP exhaust cutout kit. Waiting for it to come in. There are videos on YouTube of this item installed on a 5th. gen. I think it sounds good. I figured it’s the best of both worlds here in California. I can have a louder exhaust when you want it and then close the valve and go back to stock for a smog check or a long drive with the family to keep the sound down etc. There is even a wireless remote option that
3f499c344b055ffacc9a6c85f3140dc2.jpg

you can tie into the garage door opener buttons on the visor of your truck so you can use the buttons to open and close the exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like the idea of exhaust cutouts, but the practicality isn't there for me. They are high maintenance (monthly lubrication), and it's recommended to remove them during the winter if you drive in harsh climates. Add in that these only come with a 90 day limited warranty and I'm definitely out.

Jofu

Reaction score
I have the mopar catback and the “ungodly expensive” ram air. No issues from cops, dealer or the like. Obviously haven’t brought it in for a smog test yet since I believe I have 7 years with new car?

6 years :)

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the QTP cutout with the electric valve. Ran the switch into my cab, and bolted it to the bottom right bolt for my driver dash under the steering column. It's hidden, out of the way, and easy to access. I can also remove it in less than 30 minutes if I have to.

So far it's been great, although it does not play well with the ANC. If you're on the highway with the windows up you definitely want to close it as the drone is terrible (I expected this). If I have to grease it once a month I'll just add it to the small list of things I do monthly anyway (reformat dash cam, check tires, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread