5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust tips uneven?

Cookieman8

Reaction score
Installed the magnaflow direct fit muffler today. After installing it I noticed the passenger side exhaust tip sticks out about 1/2" further than the driver side from the bumper. Also, the folding step under the bed on the driver side is now touching the resonator. Anybody have this happen? Or have a fix? Thanks.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Double check your measurements, that your cuts were right and that you pushed the pipe in all the way.

Also check the muffler hanger mount, that it's correct and that all the hangers are on correctly with their respective rubber hangers.

Turbo98

Reaction score
Had the same problem, I just took off the exhaust tips and then used a hammer and a small piece of wood to hit the side that stuck out a bit until everything lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing93

Reaction score
My Borla was crooked as hell. I had to eventually take it to a local muffler shop he had to heat it up red hot then use a large steel bar to reef on it.

Cookieman8

Reaction score
Double check your measurements, that your cuts were right and that you pushed the pipe in all the way.

Also check the muffler hanger mount, that it's correct and that all the hangers are on correctly with their respective rubber hangers.
All hangers are gtg, the cut seems so be just about right on. I'm thinking maybe I can heat up the magnaflow where the factory exhaust gets clamped and beat the hell out of it to make sure it's seated.

Cookieman8

Reaction score
Had the same problem, I just took off the exhaust tips and then used a hammer and a small piece of wood to hit the side that stuck out a bit until everything lined up.

Did you lossen the clamp on the muffler when you did that?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had the same problems on my last truck after installing the B2 fabrication muffler. Passenger side stuck out farther than the driver side, and the bumper step hit the resonator when it retracted in. I was worried about it at first, but after a few months it stopped bothering me. I just got used to pushing the step back in slowly with my hand to keep it from banging on the resonator. I guess it was more important when the truck was new LOL.

Cookieman8

Reaction score
I had the same problems on my last truck after installing the B2 fabrication muffler. Passenger side stuck out farther than the driver side, and the bumper step hit the resonator when it retracted in. I was worried about it at first, but after a few months it stopped bothering me. I just got used to pushing the step back in slowly with my hand to keep it from banging on the resonator. I guess it was more important when the truck was new LOL.
Brother that is word for word the exact damn thing going on here. I'm going to try and remedy it this afternoon. Lol

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Same with my b2 res deletes.

Wish I wouldn’t have bought them and bought a full cat back. Their fitment is trash.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed the magnaflow direct fit muffler today. After installing it I noticed the passenger side exhaust tip sticks out about 1/2" further than the driver side from the bumper. Also, the folding step under the bed on the driver side is now touching the resonator. Anybody have this happen? Or have a fix? Thanks.
Yup! installed my magnaflow catback in 2019. Identical offset just as you describe. INstalled my bedstep a year later and it "bangs like a Bell" if you slam her shut

Cookieman8

Reaction score
After trying everything, tinkering all day today with no progress, I believe I'll just have the shop cut the resonators so the bed step doesn't contact it. Also, weld new tips on so they don't protrude so unevenly. Kind of a bummer but oh well! My ocd can't hang lol

Jackieee_Ram

Reaction score
Had the same problem with Borla Atak system. Driver side stuck out more than the passenger side that was noticeable. Took it off and went back to stock and same thing..

Velocity

Reaction score
I just installed the B2 muffler a couple of days ago can’t get the tips to line up. My driver side sticks out further than my passenger side though. The rubber hangers on the back by the resonators are actually stretched, especially the driver side one. When I went to install I hung the muffler on the hangers, then slipped the muffler over the tailpipe. When I went to bolt up the flanges they did not meet up. The muffler side flange was about an inch to the passenger side of the truck and slightly higher than the flange on the head pipe. I contacted B2 and they are saying I should have enough adjustment to get them straight but I don’t see a way to make them straight. He said he has sold hundreds of these mufflers and has never heard of this issue. To me it looks like the replacement muffler has too much bend in the curve after the muffler itself. Anyone have any tips or tricks to get them more straight?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If you can't get it to line up, take it to a good muffler shop, most can easily make the adjustment without charging you too much. They will likely heat and stretch or adjust a hanger on the muffler to make it align right. Should take a few minutes.

Also, most direct-fit mufflers recommend a spot weld on the connection or clamp to keep it from getting loose over time, this is your chance to get that done as well at the muffler shop.

NRitland2

Reaction score
All hangers are gtg, the cut seems so be just about right on. I'm thinking maybe I can heat up the magnaflow where the factory exhaust gets clamped and beat the hell out of it to make sure it's seated.
This is what I did. Sealed it, retightened, and was gtg.

Love the sound of it still

Velocity

Reaction score
I was able to get mine to line up close enough. The passenger tailpipe has a clamp right before the axle so I was able to loosen that and slide it back a little. The system is still tweaked a little to the driver side, hopefully that doesn’t cause issues later down the road but putting extra stress on the exhaust system. I know there are plenty of issues with cracked manifolds and stuff.

Rebond

Reaction score
All 3 Hemi Rams I've owned with dual tips have had one outlet that sticks out further than the other and I can't unsee it. This 2022 is no different, so I had to fix it.

When I bought it, my tips had already sagged in the time I drove it home 30 miles, so loosen the 13 mm bolts on them re-align and tighten, no biggie. I prefer them closer to the bumper anyway.

The passenger side exhaust was longer than drivers luckily, because that's the side clamped to the muffler as posted by Velocity. Had to loosen the 15mm clamp bolt, pull the tailpipe out of the muffler pipe and carefully cut the round stop tab off the muffler side, so it would slide further on. Wiggled it on an extra inch, tightened the clamp back down and GTG. Both tips now even with bumper.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my stock exhaust pipe drivers side keeps coming off the pointed hanger thing i know everytime that side lookn at the truck from the rear the exhaust tip of 3/4" and loose, any tips on how to keep it from coming off? pics from two diff angles, currently i tapped it back on w hammer

Attachments

• IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5393.jpeg
    IMG_5393.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread