5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Sound when MDS turns off

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
Curious what other folks stock exhaust sounds like when the MDS cycles off (so all 8 cylinders are firing again) . If I have my stereo off, I can hear it turn off and it makes a little pop sound. Actually....more of a 1/2 second burble sound. Asking because I didn't notice this before I removed by stock muffler - installed an after market one - and then decided to put the original back on. I may be listening to it more now than I did before. This is on a Limited, non-etorque Ram.

S

Smashy71

Curious what other folks stock exhaust sounds like when the MDS cycles off (so all 8 cylinders are firing again) . If I have my stereo off, I can hear it turn off and it makes a little pop sound. Actually....more of a 1/2 second burble sound. Asking because I didn't notice this before I removed by stock muffler - installed an after market one - and then decided to put the original back on. I may be listening to it more now than I did before. This is on a Limited, non-etorque stock exhaust is designed to muffle as much of the drone as possible. Pretty normal to notice it more with after market exhaust.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I could hear it with the stock exhaust, but I hear it more with the Magnaflow cat back system I have installed.

RodRow

Reaction score
No pop on mine, but I definitely hear it with my stock exhaust. Radio on 3 or higher makes it imperceptible.

I agree with 1st Time above...My 2016 had the MDS, and it was WAY more noticeable with my magnaflow muffler. As such, I’m staying with stock this time.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't notice it, but I'm also not listening for it since I usually have tunes playing.

louz

Reaction score
I have magnafow on and don't hear it at
all ... ever maybe you have an exhaust leak.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I am coming from a world filled with diesel Rams so a hemi with MDS is new to me. It is definitely there and noticeable along with the unwanted NVH vibrations. I have the stock exhaust and worried what it will sound like with an after market (looking at Borla). I know there are tuning packages or ECM add-ons that enable you to disable MDS but this defeats the purpose. Another option is to force gear limit to 8 which disables MDS, but again defeats the purpose. Nature of the beast I guess.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. I’m really surprised you went from all diesels to the 5.7 solely, are you no longer in need of that type of power ?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine makes a very slight sound (I guess you could call it a pop) when it goes on and off. I think that is pretty normal. I had a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT with MDS and it was a lot louder going in and out; so I think FCA actually did do quite well in that regard. I did notice though that my MDS has what sounds like a valve rattle or exhaust leak when it is active. When mine is on, I am very easy on acceleration to keep it on...that is when I hear the "rattle". I'm not sure if I have a bad lifter or if I am just babying it too much. I don't plan to do anything about it because I am averaging 16.5 to 17.3 MPG in my daily mixed driving (my MDS comes on frequently).

HotStuff

Reaction score
Yup. Typical little pop when the mds shuts off. My Scat Pack Charger did it also. The sound varies, depending on the input from the throttle.

M0brando

Reaction score
I am still testing, but I believe after weeks of research I have finally attributed the "droning" sound that I'm getting at times to when MDS is enabled. I don't think this solves weird drone sounds for everyone, but a significant number found that it was tied to the "eco" light on the dash. That of course indirectly (or directly - appears to be a debate) ties to when MDS is engaged. This was the case with me, so I have locked it out by limiting the gears to "8" and so far the noise which was becoming a regular occurence has not reappeared. I really hope this is it because it was becoming unbearable and my truck was built late enough that the ANR TSB's do not apply. Given the similarity to all the ANR complaints, I wonder if somehow the exhaust tone change when running on 4 cylinders is having a negative effect on ANR. If this does fix it then I'm more than happy to take any insignificant mileage hit to be able to enjoy the truck without the sound annoyance! Does a tuner exist for the '19 yet to turn off MDS?

NDanecker

Reaction score
^^^. I’m really surprised you went from all diesels to the 5.7 solely, are you no longer in need of that type of power ?

I test drove a 1500 and really liked how it handled, rode and have always enjoyed the sound of a v8 exhaust. I have slightly downsized my towing needs so yes - I guess I don't need the diesel for towing just a few times a year. A truck that as easier to live with day in/out was my main goal for the downgrade (if you want to call it that - LOL).

However, 1,000 ft-lbs of torque from a fully stock truck sounds awesome though. On the other hand, FCA puts so much torque management in their programming the full torque rating will only be seen in the higher gears while cruising. Around the town driving has always felt like a neutered dog.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Okay, newbie here for about a month and still learning about my 2019 RAM. My signature tells details of my RAM. I finally figured out what the ATMM was after some research. My question is does my Ram have that ? I looked at my build order and it does have "JLWP" which says it is "Active Noise Control System" Is the ATMM part of this or not? Thanks for your help==this was the closest thread that I could find that was a little related to that subject, so that is why the question here.

Realtyman

Reaction score
I get a subtle pop as well from time to time. Got used to it now, but was strange at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, newbie here for about a month and still learning about my 2019 RAM. My signature tells details of my RAM. I finally figured out what the ATMM was after some research. My question is does my Ram have that ? I looked at my build order and it does have "JLWP" which says it is "Active Noise Control System" Is the ATMM part of this or not? Thanks for your help==this was the closest thread that I could find that was a little related to that subject, so that is why the question here.
If you have the Hemi, you also get MDS, which also means you get the ATMMs. The purpose of the ATMMs is to offset engine vibration in 4 cylinder mode.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This

I have a very trained ear from my 4th gen Ram (which wasn't as sealed, soundwise), and then from a loud Borla XR1 I had on it.
On the 5th gen if you REALLY listen for it and know when it's going to happen, you can hear it.
With an aftermarket exhaust, the burble is more detectable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/