5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust question?

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
I hate the exhaust on my 2020 RAM. It drones between 57-65 really bad, is loud, and drones under load when going uphill on the highway even when I put the gear limit in 8 to disable 4cyl mode. I replaced my rear speakers and had to disable the ANC feature so I don't know if that is contributing or not. I want to do some research and find the quietest components. My question is what is #1 and #2 in the picture? I am assuming 1 is the muffler and 2 is the resonator?

I am coming from a Mercedes S class so I am kinda a princess when it comes to cabin noise.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 12.10.55 PM.png

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, number 1 is the resonator and number 2 is the muffler. With no modifications, my factory system is extremely quiet.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My question is what is #1 and #2 in the picture? I am assuming 1 is the muffler and 2 is the resonator?

View attachment 137599
You actually have that backwards. #1 is the resonator, and #2 is the muffler.

Yes, number 1 is the resonator and number 2 is the muffler. With no modifications, my factory system is extremely quiet.
You're correct, but you agreed with what he was assuming, which was the opposite of what you said.

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
I think I found the issue. It’s a flow master which I am surprised since the truck only had 14.5k on it when I bought it.

CA535A8E-E500-4992-ABFE-B2ED93F5EAE2.jpeg

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not surprising. I replaced the factory muffler on my '20 Ram with an MBRP right after I bought it.... even the wife agreed the OEM exhaust sound was lacking. Not a big deal to get a factory muffler put back in if you need it. Or, many quality aftermarket mufflers or cat-back systems that offer little to no drone.

Dewey

Reaction score
If your anywhere near Wisconsin I have a brand new stock exhaust system I’m willing to part with cheap. Took it off my truck after only 100 miles. Easy bolt on and might even be easier than swapping a rusted on muffler.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're correct, but you agreed with what he was assuming, which was the opposite of what you said.
You're right, Mike. Old age is apparently setting in. I stopped reading after Lorne Greene asked, "what is #1 and #2 in the picture?"

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I think I found the issue. It’s a flow master which I am surprised since the truck only had 14.5k on it when I bought it.

View attachment 137615

I had the same exhaust on my Tundra and hated it. I put an ad on Craigslist to swap my Flowmaster exhaust straight across for someone with stock exhaust. I had multiple replies within a couple of days. We met at a muffler shop and they swapped them both out in 30 minutes for $50 a piece.

Users who are viewing this thread