5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust question

Nazbill

Reaction score
I’m thinking about putting aftermarket exhaust just wanting muffler replacement but with little to no drone suggestions!!???!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockeydad

Reaction score
For those of you that installed the aftermarket muffler did you happen to notice any loss of low end torque?

TWRam

Reaction score
Another vote for the Flowmaster FlowFX. No drone when cruising, can hear it when you want to. Nice, clean, tuned sound outside. No rasp. Doesn't sound cheap. I am very happy with mine, and I am very picky with any mods.

Raydar

Reaction score
I just got my FlowFX installed, yesterday. Instead of going with the direct fit for $310, I opted for the basic muffler, and had my local shop install it. Cost me $175 installed, and took about 20 minutes, in and out.
Retained the stock muffler in case I hated the FX. (I know why it's described as a "5 gallon bucket", now. Damned thing is "hyuge"!)

With that said... I like it.
It sounds very much like the stock muffler, only more-so. Has a nice rumble, but is not obnoxious, and not likely to pizz off my neighbors when I leave for work at 6 AM.
Some observations... The louder exhaust really illustrates how "busy" the PCM is, doing "engine stuff". Not only can you hear it shifting in and out of MDS/ECO mode (it really just sounds like a shift to another gear) you can hear the PCM pull the spark advance, just before it shifts, if you're at full throttle - probably to make the shift smoother, and to be easier on the mechanicals. (I'm assuming that's what it's doing. I know that's how GM does it. I've seen it in the programming.)
The low frequency rumble is a bit louder, at speed, but I wouldn't even call it a drone. Whatever it is, it's not obtrusive.
My wife had a hard time telling the difference from stock.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
It was a toss up between Flowmaster FX and Magan Flow. The only reason I chose Flowmaster was I've never run one before. I like the sound and the non-raspy rumble at WOT

Users who are viewing this thread