5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust manifolds

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Both manifolds, 2 part numbers (68591573AB & 68591572AB)
The delay in getting the manifolds is curious, the shop I went to had 3 drivers and 4 passenger sides in stock. Other dealers in the area seem to have them as wells, Mckinney and Dallas Dodge. The only shop that I found that didn't have them was Frisco dodge. The dealer in the link has 7 or 8 of each

Maxum

Reaction score
Wouldn't the now "used" sets already installed that are failing be the same? Just because a junkyard set hasn't cracked doesn't mean it wont.
Mine didn't fail until ~40k miles, thousands of heat cycles during that time. Now, if you found a high mileage (100k+ miles) set that hadn't cracked, I'd agree with
Both manifolds, 2 part numbers (68591573AB & 68591572AB)
The delay in getting the manifolds is curious, the shop I went to had 3 drivers and 4 passenger sides in stock. Other dealers in the area seem to have them as wells, Mckinney and Dallas Dodge. The only shop that I found that didn't have them was Frisco dodge. The dealer in the link has 7 or 8 of each
My dealer said they were in back order for a while And could be months. Now I’m in Canada, so that doesn’t shock me, it’s normal for stuff to take months here.

BowDown

Reaction score
My dealer said they were in back order for a while And could be months. Now I’m in Canada, so that doesn’t shock me, it’s normal for stuff to take months here.

I blame the ice road truckers

My1stHemi

Reaction score
The local dealers in my area do not stock these new manifold kits and I received a few different answers from each parts department.

"These are special order and 8 weeks out. The kits we have in stock are spoken for."

"These are special order and we cannot place an order for another week."

"We have 30 coming in! However, there are 1024 people waiting for them."

Online retailers seem to have "LOW PRICES!!!" however they kill you in shipping costs... no thanks.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is all so exhausting. We have been told it will get worse on some parts.

Archabald

Reaction score
I used to have a 2009 1500 Sport 5.7 hemi. It was notorious for cracking the exhaust studs, I lost count of how times it went in to the shop for new studs and gaskets.

I recently upgraded to a 2020 Built to Serve 1500 5.7 hemi I've been in twice already with cracked manifolds with just over 60,000kms, thankfully covered under Powertrain warranty still. Was really hoping they got a handle on this over the 11 years but I was just told from the service rep last time that Ram upgraded the studs and now the manifolds are cracking instead.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up my truck from service dept. Just as suspected, cracked manifold and parts on back order. Last instance, both broken bolts AND cracked manifold on just the passenger side. This time, no broken bolts, but both sides are cracked.
So, this would be the second passenger side, first driver side. No ETA on parts, service said they will call when in, ugh.

Also had them look at my 4wd system and they found oil coming out of the front axle disconnect connector so a new actuator assembly is on order, too. Thank goodness for the warranty coverage. 👍

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
Just picked up my truck from service dept. Just as suspected, cracked manifold and parts on back order. Last instance, both broken bolts AND cracked manifold on just the passenger side. This time, no broken bolts, but both sides are cracked.
So, this would be the second passenger side, first driver side. No ETA on parts, service said they will call when in, ugh.

Also had them look at my 4wd system and they found oil coming out of the front axle disconnect connector so a new actuator assembly is on order, too. Thank goodness for the warranty coverage. 👍
Driver and passenger sides cracked on mine. Parts are nowhere to be found and I don't wanna go the header route just yet.

JB Weld ExtremeHeat sealed it up pretty nice for a very temporary fix. Now it doesn't sound like a diesel when I start it so I am happy.

Attachments

• 20230729_105649.jpg
    20230729_105649.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230729_113900.jpg
    20230729_113900.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 49

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
Has anyone tried welding the cracks. Not an expert on welding or cast iron. I was thinking since the metal has already stretched and cracked.

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
Has anyone tried welding the cracks. Not an expert on welding or cast iron. I was thinking since the metal has already stretched and cracked.
I have seen posts on other forums, not necessarily Ram forums, where people mention welding their cast manifolds and that fixing it.

Cast does require a different technique to weld, but it does seem like an option.

Wvmountaineer87

Reaction score
Just had both manifolds replaced on my 19 back in May. Called the local dealer at 9am, dropped the truck off at 10:30am, and it was repaired and ready with new manifolds installed before 4pm the same day. Probably the best warranty service experience I’ve ever had!

Service manager said new manifolds will most likely fail again, but he was notified about a new design for these trucks, expected to be available by the end of the year. If/when these fail I hope the redesigned manifold will be available, if not, I’ll bite the bullet and purchase a set of ARH long tube headers.

Attachments

• IMG_6525.jpeg
    IMG_6525.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 24

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So we should hold off for the "AC" versions meaning that the "AB"s are failing too? I'll definitely wait then.
Unless they have something in writing I doubt they will completely different. There were people here who said there was a recall coming on the manifolds, just what the managers told them.

6of36

Reaction score
Unless they have something in writing I doubt they will completely different. There were people here who said there was a recall coming on the manifolds, just what the managers told them.
Even IF they redesign, they may crack too. They won't have real world, long term testing.

Maxum

Reaction score
Someone can have my manifolds, if they ever arrive at the dealer, last I heard there wasn’t even an eta. i had enough and traded the truck in. I have two small kids in my vehicle at times and I refuse to drive around in a truck that expensive, or any other vehicle, with exhaust leaking and potentially getting into the cabin and a company that seems to care less about that. I have owned 4 dodge vehicles in the last 15 years, 3 of them RAMS, but never again unless it’s one with a completely different motor and doesn’t have these issues.

GM2021

Reaction score
I’ve owned four rams. Most recent three had the 5.7 L motor. My current ram is a 2021 limited. All three of my most current rams have had both manifolds replaced at least once. My 2021 had each manifold replaced at around 33,000 miles. At the time, in the fall of 2022, the dealer told me it was a new kit. Better components and metallurgy. Baloney. Manifolds again bad at 59,000 miles. Ram should be embarrassed at this long-term weakness in an otherwise good motor. if you have a recently purchased Ram, bring it to the dealer just before 60,000 miles driven so that they can replace any cracked manifolds under warranty. Once a dealer replaces a cracked manifold, it’s warranted as a repair for two years. Good luck.

6of36

Reaction score
I’ve owned four rams. Most recent three had the 5.7 L motor. My current ram is a 2021 limited. All three of my most current rams have had both manifolds replaced at least once. My 2021 had each manifold replaced at around 33,000 miles. At the time, in the fall of 2022, the dealer told me it was a new kit. Better components and metallurgy. Baloney. Manifolds again bad at 59,000 miles. Ram should be embarrassed at this long-term weakness in an otherwise good motor. if you have a recently purchased Ram, bring it to the dealer just before 60,000 miles driven so that they can replace any cracked manifolds under warranty. Once a dealer replaces a cracked manifold, it’s warranted as a repair for two years. Good luck.
In 22, they probably replaced them, and added hold downs. I think that was their last try. It's probably higher in the posts here, but last summer, they actually redesigned the manifolds, a little thicker, in the areas that cracked. In a few years, we will know if that fixes the problem.

Dewey

Reaction score
So far mine are holding up well with 41,000 miles. Bolts on my last two 4th Gen’s didn’t go till about 100,000 miles. I never bothered fixing them because I got a new truck shortly after. Dealer that bought them noticed but didn’t make a big deal about it since it’s so common. I’m sure they fixed them for pretty cheap compared to me paying for it.

Users who are viewing this thread