5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had both replaced and I'm pretty sure atleast one is leaking again, though apparently not bad enough for the dealer to find it.. and I just hit 60k yesterday.. so I'm sure they'll find it now.
I also had both replaced around 26K due to cracks and the passenger side is cracked again at 57k 😡. No timeline on when the new manifolds will be in. Frustrating to say the least.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally took my truck in this past Friday to have them check out the tailgate recall and driver side exhaust manifold. Manifold has been ordered with an expected delivery date of 12/26-12/29. Hopefully that's true because I'd love to get it knocked out while we're kind of in a lull with the holidays.

Jmacnorth

Reaction score
Finally took my truck in this past Friday to have them check out the tailgate recall and driver side exhaust manifold. Manifold has been ordered with an expected delivery date of 12/26-12/29. Hopefully that's true because I'd love to get it knocked out while we're kind of in a lull with the holidays.
I’m taking mine in on Wednesday, passenger side tic on cold start up, 2019 with 34000 I think factory power train warranty covers it. Hoping for the best expecting the worst

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m taking mine in on Wednesday, passenger side tic on cold start up, 2019 with 34000 I think factory power train warranty covers it. Hoping for the best expecting the worst
Yes. Mine is covered under the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty. So you should be covered but cutting it close. I'm at 52,000 on my truck so I'm right there with you at the end of the road.

Jmacnorth

Reaction score
crazy how this is a repeatable fix. After warranty expires are people just ditching the OEM manifold and going aftermarket?
It makes you wonder it it’s just the bolts that broke off and they just replace them or the whole manifold. I mean to your point it’s the oem manifold that I understand warps and puts pressure on the bolts causing to snap. So yeah after warranty go aftermarket

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It makes you wonder it it’s just the bolts that broke off and they just replace them or the whole manifold. I mean to your point it’s the oem manifold that I understand warps and puts pressure on the bolts causing to snap. So yeah after warranty go aftermarket
No. The 4th gens had an issue with the bolts snapping. It's very well documented that the 5th gens strengthened the bolts. So now the manifolds crack. Some are thinking that the latest revisions of OEM manifolds have been strengthened and they've been adding some additional strapping/webbing(unsure of proper name) to add more strength too.

The aftermarket is a fine answer but in this thread there are plenty of examples of them having their own leaks from poor welds or poor fitment.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a bolt let go on the passenger side, replaced with a complete oem manifold kit.

Jmacnorth

Reaction score
I had a bolt let go on the passenger side, replaced with a complete oem manifold kit.
I dropped mine off today at dealer, ticking noise upon cold start up. Dealer said 399.00 just for a diagnostic. If the problem they find is covered under power train warranty then they waive the diagnostic fee. Also got the injectors cleaned and throttle body 🤯

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dropped mine off today at dealer, ticking noise upon cold start up. Dealer said 399.00 just for a diagnostic. If the problem they find is covered under power train warranty then they waive the diagnostic fee. Also got the injectors cleaned and throttle body 🤯
"399.00 just for a diagnostic" Holy cow...

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
crazy how this is a repeatable fix. After warranty expires are people just ditching the OEM manifold and going aftermarket?
Not sure what I will do after warranty. I'm close to being past my power train warranty and I'm sure the drivers side will go again soon so guess I will decide then. Maybe trade it for a HD lol.

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Out of 4 times I had my truck in for header leaks, 2 of those times included a cracked manifold. The last time I had it in was at non-stealership shop and he replaced the cracked header and used grade 10 bolts. It was still fine when I traded in my truck because of cam/lifter failure. I bought a 5yr 200k km extended powertrain warranty this time. I am/was sick and tired of HEMI issues... I just wish I didn't love the rest of the RAM truck so much. LOL

Cygnus A

Reaction score
No. The 4th gens had an issue with the bolts snapping. It's very well documented that the 5th gens strengthened the bolts. So now the manifolds crack. Some are thinking that the latest revisions of OEM manifolds have been strengthened and they've been adding some additional strapping/webbing(unsure of proper name) to add more strength too.

The aftermarket is a fine answer but in this thread there are plenty of examples of them having their own leaks from poor welds or poor fitment.
Have they not been making massive V8s for decades? Why cant they design basic parts like manifolds to not crack?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have they not been making massive V8s for decades? Why cant they design basic parts like manifolds to not crack?

Which is why I think the Hurricane will be an interesting proposition for CDJR dealerships.

They have a waiting list for exhaust manifold on a dinosaur Hemi engine, which is an engine they have been making since before time began. Imagine an all new I6 with twin turbos, all the bits and pieces that can go awry in that new motor, an engine which will find it's way into all the high-volume vehicles from CDJR. Wow, can't wait to see the Yelp reviews in a few years from now on my local dealership.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which is why I think the Hurricane will be an interesting proposition for CDJR dealerships.

They have a waiting list for exhaust manifold on a dinosaur Hemi engine, which is an engine they have been making since before time began. Imagine an all new I6 with twin turbos,

I assume the Hurricane exhaust manifolds will be three cylinders long instead of four, so at least maybe we can hope for 25% less cracking. ;)

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well. Waiting 7 months now for a new manifold. So fed up with DODGE!😖 Won't callem ram anymore. This is the customer service they provide? Should of went with the Denali. Chances are I wouldn't have a CRACKED manifold. Fed up with this "Limited" piece of crap.
That seems abnormally long. Totally understand your frustration though. The unfortunate thing is there's not a legit truck without some issues. Now the latest worry from GM is the roofs splitting 😂

dearmosd

Reaction score
That seems abnormally long. Totally understand your frustration though. The unfortunate thing is there's not a legit truck without some issues. Now the latest worry from GM is the roofs splitting 😂
Or GM lifter failure, $1,800 suspension lasting 10-20k miles, "Chevy Shake" are the couple that come to mind for the reason why I just left Chevy.

Users who are viewing this thread