5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

dan_osms.io

Reaction score
Here is the Service Bulletin for those that wander... but aren't lost :)

Attachments

• SB 11-002-11.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 55

dan_osms.io

Reaction score
Also curious if running a LTH setup would get the "toasty" bits away from the last cylinder on each side, pushing the cats further downstream would assist. I live in a state where there is strict emissions rules, I wonder if a high-flow would pass. I do NOT live in California which is ... by all accounts the most stringent of the states.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also curious if running a LTH setup would get the "toasty" bits away from the last cylinder on each side, pushing the cats further downstream would assist. I live in a state where there is strict emissions rules, I wonder if a high-flow would pass. I do NOT live in California which is ... by all accounts the most stringent of the states.

The distance from the cylinder to the cat is what sets the length of time to light off, along with lean tuning, a "regulated" time. Going to long tube both increases the distance and gives more surface area for the gas to cool. Ceramic coating may help with that. Long tubes will never pass a visual check of course. Post pics if you go thru with it.

dan_osms.io

Reaction score
I was talking to @My1stHemi about his constant work on the headers. He mentioned LTB, then I thought on it a bit. Looking at the collection point on OEM the distance to the block. It's pretty tight. Also from a cooling perspective that last cyl isn't getting much airflow at all. Has anyone ever ran high temp brake duct hose to the last...say 2 cylinders on each side? That and a 3d printer to fab up a distribution vane across the OEM manifold may help too. If a flange was build to take natural air plus any radiator fan provided flow could provide some power assisted cooling.

dan_osms.io

Reaction score
For the folks that had the TSB repair done has it solved the problem indefinitely (as far as you've been tracking mileage since fix)?

Bigzway

Reaction score
I just had both manifolds replaced Wednesday after waiting 4 months for the dealership to get them and it has made a huge difference on startup and driving

dork17

Reaction score
I just had both manifolds replaced Wednesday after waiting 4 months for the dealership to get them and it has made a huge difference on startup and driving
What sort of symptoms were you having before replacement?

xjarcher

Reaction score
I'm not the Original owner so I've had to buy them (thanks Stelantis) the passenger side was $96 and the Drivers was $120. This is a HUGE upgrade from my Gen 3, which I just had machined flat and reinstalled. Hopefully the "revised part" doesn't split in half. I'm inclined to think a retorque at 100 miles would be in order from the stealership. I torqued mine to spec, ate lunch and retorqued them. I noticed a few FTLBS difference. Certainly enough for a small leak like JF19 says.

dearmosd

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 2 days ago and last night upon a cold start up I heard what to me was like an exhaust leak/ticking near the driver side wheel well. I drove it for 5-10min and checked again and didnt hear anything.....

Now I read this thread and curious do I have an issue.

Question: How many generations has this manifold issue carried over through?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 2 days ago and last night upon a cold start up I heard what to me was like an exhaust leak/ticking near the driver side wheel well. I drove it for 5-10min and checked again and didnt hear anything.....

Yes, you probably have the issue. I'm unsure if the 3rd gens did it but I'm assuming they may have. The 4th gens definitely did it. They would break the bolts more often than crack the manifold. Now they've strengthened the bolts but the manifolds crack.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

2009 they redesigned the heads, and looking at the TSB posted above, it relates to 2009. I imagine all Eagle head Hemis have the problem, either the early ones snapping the bolts, and the later ones cracking the manifolds, being they changed the studs, and added the reinforcement bars. Just recently they redesigned the manifolds.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had both replaced and I'm pretty sure atleast one is leaking again, though apparently not bad enough for the dealer to find it.. and I just hit 60k yesterday.. so I'm sure they'll find it now.
I just hit 60k as well. I had both replaced a year ago, at 28k miles, and one side is leaking again. I have $100 deductible warranty thru 100k.

Users who are viewing this thread