5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Leak-Muffler

EJ84

Reaction score
I’m going to try and do the repair this week instead of wasting time at the dealer,
Are the correct replacement bolts M8x1.25? I was thinking of leaving the flange threaded if possible and going to a 1.5 bolt with a nut

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m going to try and do the repair this week instead of wasting time at the dealer,
Are the correct replacement bolts M8x1.25? I was thinking of leaving the flange threaded if possible and going to a 1.5 bolt with a nut
Using a different pitch bolt is not going to work if leaving the threads. M8 is the diameter of the bolt, the 1.5 or 1.25 is how many threads per millimeter. Your situation, is like using a 3/8 24 bolt in a 3/8 16 threaded hole. I would replace with the same pitch bolt, in stainless, and use anti-seize on the threads.

EJ84

Reaction score
Using a different pitch bolt is not going to work if leaving the threads. M8 is the diameter of the bolt, the 1.5 or 1.25 is how many threads per millimeter. Your situation, is like using a 3/8 24 bolt in a 3/8 16 threaded hole. I would replace with the same pitch bolt, in stainless, and use anti-seize on the threads.
Thanks for the heads up and clarification. Any specific anti seize for the stainless bolts?

KCRAM

Reaction score
Count me in on this problem. I’ve got the Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan warranty figured it would be a quick day at the dealership a couple bolts and a $200 deductible and all would be right in the Ram world. Turns out I was wrong. MVP warranty doesn’t cover exhaust components. The dealership tech won’t drill the old broken bolt out. The only way they’ll fix it is a new muffler and a nearly $2,000 invoice. A truck with less than 72k miles shouldn’t need $2,000 worth of muffler work.

Attachments

• IMG_7748.jpeg
    IMG_7748.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7752.jpeg
    IMG_7752.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 13

Nels

Reaction score
$2,000?!?!?!? I had same issue and did it myself, having never done it before. If it's just a broken bolt you don't need a new muffler. Just need the bolt drilled out and replaced. With that said, I took it as an opportunity to replace the muffler with something with more sound, which I wanted to do anyway. Is there a muffler/exhaust shop in your area? Bet they would do it for a hundred bucks.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Count me in on this problem. I’ve got the Mopar Vehicle Protection Plan warranty figured it would be a quick day at the dealership a couple bolts and a $200 deductible and all would be right in the Ram world. Turns out I was wrong. MVP warranty doesn’t cover exhaust components. The dealership tech won’t drill the old broken bolt out. The only way they’ll fix it is a new muffler and a nearly $2,000 invoice. A truck with less than 72k miles shouldn’t need $2,000 worth of muffler work.
Don't walk but run from that dealership. That's about as shady as it gets. Find some random muffler shop, probably be $50-100

6of36

Reaction score
One of my jobs in my former life, was a muffler shop manager. Back then 20 bucks or a 12 pack would have done it. We used to do a lot of hangers and clamps for beer money. Back then, we could drink in the shop after close, that may have changed.

brewcrewpackers

Reaction score
First time poster, but just bought my 2019 Laramie and knew there was an issue with the exhaust (it ran loud under passenger seat). Flange bolts broke, like the rest of y'all. Dealer used the torch to heat it up and the broke bolts came right out. Only charged me an hour of labor, so I guess it was better off than some in here.

In case anyone needs part numbers for doing it themselves, here are the part numbers:
68505222AA Exhaust Gasket
6104416AA Hex Bolt (2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/