5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Leak - 2020 1500 40K KM

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
I’m not super knowledgeable with repairing/troubleshooting automotive issues, but I have a leak on my exhaust and wanted to know if any other guys have come across the same problem and if this will be covered under warranty?

I did have a muffler installed when the truck was brand new. I now have 40,000KM and I hear a noise when idling and accelerating. I looked under the truck and I can feel/hear a leak on the exhaust upstream of the muffler (see pics).

I’ve also noticed recently that I sometimes have a lack of power in first gear when coming to a stop and going again. Feels like a very slow accelerator response and then a skip of a gear.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 8283BE82-8880-43AD-87F3-A3E0ACF3039B.jpeg
    8283BE82-8880-43AD-87F3-A3E0ACF3039B.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 0C18B4A7-0763-45FC-89A3-8ECBABA0A4E5.jpeg
    0C18B4A7-0763-45FC-89A3-8ECBABA0A4E5.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 43

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you tried tightening that bolt ?
For the accelerator have you tried the reset for it ?

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Have you tried tightening that bolt ?
For the accelerator have you tried the reset for it ?
I haven’t tried tightening it. I was worried about it cracking and maybe making it worse.
How do I go about resetting the accelerator?

Thanks

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I haven’t tried tightening it. I was worried about it cracking and maybe making it worse.
How do I go about resetting the accelerator?

Thanks
I believe you turn the ignition on without starting the engine then slowly press the accelerator to the floor and slowly release it .

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not super knowledgeable with repairing/troubleshooting automotive issues, but I have a leak on my exhaust and wanted to know if any other guys have come across the same problem and if this will be covered under warranty?

I did have a muffler installed when the truck was brand new. I now have 40,000KM and I hear a noise when idling and accelerating. I looked under the truck and I can feel/hear a leak on the exhaust upstream of the muffler (see pics).

I’ve also noticed recently that I sometimes have a lack of power in first gear when coming to a stop and going again. Feels like a very slow accelerator response and then a skip of a gear.

Any help would be appreciated!
There have been a few of us that have had this problem. You will most likely break the bolts by trying to tighten them, so be prepared to have them drilled out.

The parts list calls for special bolts and corresponding nuts in that application, but apparently the nuts were omitted for a time at assembly. I would recommend having the dealer's service department take care of this.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530263 miles.

silver billet

Reaction score
Dusty, I believe those bolts don't need any nuts since the nut is part of the flange? Probably saying that wrong, but those bolts can't just slide out on they're own, they're definitely screwed into something so no need for a separate nut.

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
There have been a few of us that have had this problem. You will most likely break the bolts by trying to tighten them, so be prepared to have them drilled out.

The parts list calls for special bolts and corresponding nuts in that application, but apparently the nuts were omitted for a time at assembly. I would recommend having the dealer's service department take care of this.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530263 miles.
Thanks very much man!
Should I expect this to be covered under warranty?
There are no nuts, so I would assume the flange is threaded.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dusty, I believe those bolts don't need any nuts since the nut is part of the flange? Probably saying that wrong, but those bolts can't just slide out on they're own, they're definitely screwed into something so no need for a separate nut.
You're correct, the flange is threaded. However, in this application there is enough heating/cooling cycles and vibration to cause the bolt to move. I think that's why they originally specified nuts.

Best regards,
Dusty

Users who are viewing this thread