5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Drone

Johnny.davenport

Reaction score
Need some help, losing my mind with this noise.
Put a 6” lift with 35s on my 2019 1500 new body style.
I had a flow master 40 put on.
When it kicks into 4 cylinder mode you can hear it, which I don’t mind at all it’s pretty quiet, but then I get the drone sound. The faster I’m going the worse it gets when it kicks into “echo” mode.
I’ve tried running it in tow/haul mode. I’ve tried the shift limiter.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I’m about to trade this thing in. Would a smaller exhaust fix it? I’d be willing to go to a 70 series if that would do it?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Nothing you can do, except go back to stock like I did.
It drove me crazy, and I did not feel like putting it in tow/haul mode every single time I started the vehicle, so I put the original exhaust which fortunately I had kept.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Need some help, losing my mind with this noise.
Put a 6” lift with 35s on my 2019 1500 new body style.
I had a flow master 40 put on.
When it kicks into 4 cylinder mode you can hear it, which I don’t mind at all it’s pretty quiet, but then I get the drone sound. The faster I’m going the worse it gets when it kicks into “echo” mode.
I’ve tried running it in tow/haul mode. I’ve tried the shift limiter.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I’m about to trade this thing in. Would a smaller exhaust fix it? I’d be willing to go to a 70 series if that would do it?
Had a flowmaster on my 4th gen (2014) and it droned like crazy....had it removed and went back to stock bc it drove me nuts. I can't speak on the 5th gens because my exhaust is unchanged right now. Hope you find something that works better for you. I hear guys speaking highly of B2 fabrication, they are a sponsor on this forum.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Had a flowmaster on my 4th gen (2014) and it droned like crazy....had it removed and went back to stock bc it drove me nuts. I can't speak on the 5th gens because my exhaust is unchanged right now. Hope you find something that works better for you. I hear guys speaking highly of B2 fabrication, they are a sponsor on this forum.
Yep, that’s what I had. Great exhaust, and only droned when MDS kicked on and off (not B2’s fault).

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the B2 Fabrications Moderate Magnaflow muffler and left all of the stock resonators in place. I can hear the difference when it shifts into ECO mode but I'm not getting any drone.

I removed the factory tires and wheels and bought some Rebel Wheel and tires on eBay and actually get more drone from the Duratracs than the exhaust. o_O

eyler34

Reaction score
You might look at putting a CC insert in. I have an '04 that I put a magnaflow on and the drone was defining. Not only that, the resonnance was so bad random stuff would rattle. I put in a CC insert and it COMPLETELY went away. Didn't kill the nice sound, but removed all drone and rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread