5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Dilemma - MBRP 5143 vs MBRP 5145

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Trying to decide between the MBRP muffler replacement (S5143409) vs. the MBRP muffler bypass(S5145409) for my 2022 Rebel. I want an aggressive sound, but not obnoxious. I’ve listened to the following clips of each, but just can’t make up my mind if the muffler bypass might be just a bit too loud.

I’ve read several posts on here of members with the MBRP muffler replacement, with nothing but good feedback on that setup. I’m really looking for comments from anyone that’s done the MBRP muffler bypass (or really any muffler bypass that deletes the front resonator and muffler, as I would guess most straight pipe options would sound pretty much the same). I have no intentions of deleting the rear resonators.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depending on the year of your Ram, you may or may not have a front resonator. My 2020 did not, and I did the Hi-Flow muffler that is in your first video. A straight through pipe would be a little louder either way, just potentially more so if you have the front resonator. I live in a small neighborhood, and the Hi-Flow was just shy of loud, with a great low rumble. Hope this helps, and post some sounds clips of your final install 😀

teamroper60

Reaction score
I have the MBRP muffler from the top vid. My 2021 didnt have the front resonator. I went with the MBRP because Im not a fan of the raspy sound and crackle that some of the other brands seem to have. Its also why I didnt go with the muffler delete. The muffler gives it a nice deep throaty rumble. On startup, its loud but not obnoxious. Once the engine is up to temp, the idle is pretty quiet. Personally, Id like it to be a little louder at warm idle and that has improved some as I have gotten some miles on it but Id still like it a bit louder. If it doesnt get any louder than it currently is, I may remove the resonators.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I am running the 3" high flow MBRP on mine. I have the rear resonators in mine. Cold morning starts it's louder but not bad. I'm debating with removing the rear resonators. But i'm just not sure how it will be towing... I mostly want to remove the rear resonators to ditch the "airy bag" sound they have. I rear removing them will fix that, it does make is a little louder though.. and you loose the sound of the MDS kicking in and out... some say they dont notice or feel it.. coming from tuning automobiles... I def feel and hear it but I felt and heard it prior to putting the MBRP on.

I really want to delete the resonators, I just dont want it to make me deaf towing haha..that's my only hang up at the moment. I have yet to tow my 24' flatbed car trailer with this truck or with the MBRP installed.. its a fairly heavy trailer with dual 7k pound axles.. but i have owned a Cummins 3/4 or 1 ton for the last decade or more. So this truck is a bit of a change for me.. i'm entertaining selling this trailer (sad bc i love it) and coughing up some coin and going to an aluminum one.... that's off the topic.. just the weight is more load in theory.

Anyone towed on a MBRP 3" muffler cut and clamp set up?

MO Rebel

Reaction score
All I’ll be towing with this truck is a 16’ flatbed with two four wheelers on it. MDS will be deactivated before I back out of the garage. I don’t want it to be obnoxious, but I do want it to sound like a V8.

That’s two of you now thinking it could be a little louder.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Well, if you're in it, it's loud enough... with a trailer in tow. I would suspect it will be loud haha. that's why my resonators out back are still there. I don't tow many four wheelers or RZRs any longer as I sold them all. But i do tow a Saleen S281SC and Challenger SRT8 (she is heavy). The trailer I need to look at the tag, i bet empty is 3k pounds or so. I don't think a couple thousand will maker her work much and be to loud with the 3.92 gears... but when putting one of the few cars on it.. I think she's going to scream from the pipes. HAHAHA

I need some to share sound clips with towing a load with this muffler.. I don't wanna delete them rear resonators and miss them when towing... Would love to ditch the airy bag noise that is there from them. I must say that deep rumble is there with this Muffler. I have been debating on deleting them and then doing the oval muffler from B2 if she's screaming to much and then sell the MBRP. But I have liked MBRP products on a few Cummins and my turbo RZR and when researching it had that deep V8 sound i was wanting so i stuck with it.

teamroper60

Reaction score
All I’ll be towing with this truck is a 16’ flatbed with two four wheelers on it. MDS will be deactivated before I back out of the garage. I don’t want it to be obnoxious, but I do want it to sound like a V8.

That’s two of you now thinking it could be a little louder.
Ive towed my bass boat with this setup. I honestly didnt notice much difference between towing and not towing, sound wise, even with the rear slider open. I think an enclosed trailer or camper might be more noticeable though since there would be a "wall" to reflect the sound.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I agree... The enclosed and campers do push a bit of sound back at you in the cab.
It was my theory that an open trailer may not be to bad or like a boat. As the hull will push the sound out and away.

I know my built 00 Cummins had a 5" straight, i pulled my bumper pull enclosed for an 8hr trip to the dunes prior from swiping to the compounds and man my ears were ringing lol. wasn't bad with the flatbed, but that front of the enclosed sure shot it to the cab. Miss that money pit of a truck; never should have sold her.

Last edited:

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Well, went with the MBRP muffler. My truck did not have a front resonator. Good sound, but I wouldn’t care if it were just a little louder. It might get a little louder with some miles on it. Much, much, much better than stock though. Got a couple pics, but no sound clip yet. Very easy install.

BC71E2C3-E2D8-4E41-939F-2B605A7C43E9.jpeg

No front resonator on a ‘22.

DEB253A6-B793-49C0-9FE9-89E1FF067AB1.jpeg

MBRP seems to make a very quality product.

713DBE59-E93D-4247-AD23-6891470899A8.jpeg

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Looks good, I like mine... I really want to ride the "airy bag" sound on the rear resonators. I am so tempted to order the kit to do so by B2 Fab. I'll be dragging a 8x16' enclosed next weekend and I'll see how bad she tosses sound at the cab.. I have thought about plugging the drain holes in the rear resonators but that will def make them wear faster.. I like the tone she has.. just not that airy sound out the rear resonators. Just not sure how much louder she will be with out them there. I read contradicting sides, some say it's quieter with out them at cruising but others say it's louder.. I have listened to all the clips I can find. But hard to gauge on that.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
W/o resonators definitely sounds louder to me. Heck, that’s almost running a straight pipe based on looking through the MBRP muffler. I’ll have to see how the muffler swap works out, but that’s definitely an option for some more decibels.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Never paid that close enough attention... but, there is just ahead of the muffler a smaller glass pack looking deal. Only maybe a foot long.

MBRP makes a bolt up straight pipe for that front section eliminating that front resonator. It appears Ram did away with the front resonator after 2019. My 2022 does not have it.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I did see that on their site... not sure though if that would do much as i'm guessing it was to cancel out cab noise at certain levels/rpms... but not sure.

teamroper60

Reaction score
I'm thinking I may just dive in and do it:
With rear resonators:

With out rear resonators:
If you do delete the rear resonators, let me know if it is any louder at warm idle. The quietness at warm idle is my only complaint with this muffler.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
She's def loud on cold start lol... warm it does tame down an awful lot, but if you rip on it when warm it wakes right up.

I'll def post back.. i'm currently torn on doing an oil filter relocate or the deletes lol

Gregbj33

Reaction score
I have done the rear resonator delete by B2. I had same complaints prior to removing the resonators. Much better sound afterwards, louder but not obnoxious and barely here it when cruising until u get in it. Also drone is barely there as well. To me definitely remove those resonators!!

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I have done the rear resonator delete by B2. I had same complaints prior to removing the resonators. Much better sound afterwards, louder but not obnoxious and barely here it when cruising until u get in it. Also drone is barely there as well. To me definitely remove those resonators!!

Are you running the same MBRP muffler? No front resonator? Do you have any sound clips? My wife even said a little louder wouldn’t hurt, so I’m all in.

Users who are viewing this thread