5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust “Tone” Too Deep - What Am I Doing Wrong?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still trying to figure out what boominess is 🤷🏻‍♂️
What I heard a couple times when the system was working correctly and in the 1500-1800 rpm range when it wasn’t almost sounded like if I had an electric exhaust coutout and I opened it mid-cruise. It was very loud to the point I was saying “WTF is that?” and almost pulled over.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
MDS kicking in for sure IMO. Or possibly your Glock in the console went off bc it doesn’t have a safety
That’s what I was thinking a few posts ago. I can hear this with the stock exhaust

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I love this game!

How about Depends Undergarments?

Or you can use an ad blocker and put it all behind you. 😁
Haha, good point. I guess I can re-enable my ad-blockers. I disabled everything because the computer I posted that from is the same computer I use for website development, so ad-blockers mess with me viewing some stuff I create.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking a few posts ago. I can hear this with the stock exhaust
I thought it was MDS when running my Borla exhaust, but it wasn't. I would use the manual gear selector to 8 which would disactivate MDS and I would still get the noise.

Straightener

Reaction score
Ok, second update on this. Had the Rebel out on the highway, and since I disconnected the ANC microphones I am definitely noticing a change for the positive. Exhaust is still deep, but I don’t have that boomy drone any longer. I am at a loss as to how much noise the ANC must have been pumping in to create this. I can hear my stereo clearer, too (not that my hearing is anything great to begin with - I am a firearms instructor and play guitar - so I love the Glock comments 👍).

To the posters who suggested disconnecting the ANC, if you ever pass through western New York, I owe you a beer or a whiskey.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, second update on this. Had the Rebel out on the highway, and since I disconnected the ANC microphones I am definitely noticing a change for the positive. Exhaust is still deep, but I don’t have that boomy drone any longer. I am at a loss as to how much noise the ANC must have been pumping in to create this. I can hear my stereo clearer, too (not that my hearing is anything great to begin with - I am a firearms instructor and play guitar - so I love the Glock comments 👍).

To the posters who suggested disconnecting the ANC, if you ever pass through western New York, I owe you a beer or a whiskey.
Glad that worked out relatively well for you

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
When I put a Magnaflow on my 2012, I began noticing the 'whuff' transition between MDS and full ignition, and it kind of bugged me for a few weeks getting used to it. Then, it faded into the background as I learned to ignore it. The boominess never really got out of hand, since I had a 400-watt MTX Thunderform w/2 10" Terminators under the back seat that I worked out on a daily basis. I probably never heard a lot of things that might've been wrong with that truck, to be honest. Good times!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wtf is “anc”
“Active noise cancelling” module. It typically puts out notes between 40-50hz through the front door speakers to negate road and vehicle noise.

Soopapoopadoopa

Reaction score
To OP, I recently had dealt with this same "boominess" issue and similar RPM range. I had installed a 14" Magnaflow a couple months ago, which as far as I know is essentially the same muffler used in the B2 kit. I also deleted all of my resonators at the time of the muffler swap.

I took the noise as different than typical highway "drone" most think of, but more of a resonance I couldn't stand while gently accelerating in that RPM range. My ears rang and almost made me nauseous after driving for a while. Sounded amazing under hard acceleration, startup and idle and totally quiet once up to highway speeds.

Based on a buddy who has a 5th gen totally straight piped and has zero drone/resonance issues, I made the decision to go close to that route. This weekend I swapped out the Magnaflow for a Carven R series muffler. This is a much louder more aggressive setup, but that boominess is now completely gone. Absolutely loving the sound, and all I hear at any RPM is just the sound of the exhaust now and that resonance issue I had is gone.

Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps you at all as I couldn't stand the noise I was dealing with.

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My plan is to delete the muffler and go with dual resonators only.
just got quote from shop today so im ordering the valance pieces i need and the scheduling the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread