5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust “Tone” Too Deep - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Straightener

Reaction score
Ok, in my ‘21 Rebel (eTorque Hemi), I am trying to ‘enhance‘ my exhaust tone. I have had loud/obnoxious before. Not after that now. I want it to sound like a V8, but I also want to hear my stereo and passengers when I am driving. I initially went with the B2 “Moderate” muffler (whatever their newest version of the Magnaflow is). At startup and acceleration it is not as loud as I anticipated. My problem is at cruising speed on the highway, about 1200-1500 RPM, it is just “booming” with a massive deep tone, which is irritating the f@#k out of me (the tone of the ’boom’ negates any sound from my subwoofer as an audible reference point). If I punch it, as the RPMs rise, it actually gets quieter from 1600-2000 RPM… I had a short oval straight through Borla muffler laying around that I installed in front of the muffler with the hope of dampening the ’boominess’ but it doesn’t seem to have accomplished anything. What the hell and I doing wrong here?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting B2 to see what they say?

It almost sounds like ANC is picking up on your exhaust, but I can’t say that definitively. You would have to disable it to rule it out.

Straightener

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting B2 to see what they say?

It almost sounds like ANC is picking up on your exhaust, but I can’t say that definitively. You would have to disable it to rule it out.
I did consider the ANC, and I know it ’deactivates’ with the windows rolled down. Tried that, no change to the sound I am hearing in the cabin.

Choate

Reaction score
You seem to have issues with every exhaust set up being too loud or too deep etc. And water in your doors causing a speaker sound or something. Your hearing must be extremely sensitive. Maybe just stick with a stock exhaust? The whole point of getting a different exhaust system is to make it louder. If you don’t want to hear it at all at any point as much as possible switch it back to stock

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you turning off the eco mode? When it’s in 4cyl, it sounds similar to that with certain mufflers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you turning off the eco mode? When it’s in 4cyl, it sounds similar to that with certain mufflers

My thoughts also. It does make a distinctive noise when switch in and out of MDS

Straightener

Reaction score
I have tried switching off MDS/Eco. Doesn't make a huge difference. To clarify - the annoying "boominess" only seems to happen when driving around 55 MPH in the RPM range between 1200-1500 RPM - that is what is making me question if something else is askew here. If I'm up around 65 MPH, RPMs slightly higher 1600-1800, it gets quieter and sounds the way I want it to (Eco/MDS effect is negligible once again).

What I WILL do is go through the current setup and check all the connections to ensure there are no exhaust leaks and whatnot.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the exhaust drone/resonation? that will probably be worse the louder the muffler is

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like your typical drone you get in a certain rpm range, your current range just so happens to be around 1500 rpm with your setup. Happens with a lot of louder mufflers.

Straightener

Reaction score
Are you referring to the exhaust drone/resonation? that will probably be worse the louder the muffler is
As I read your comment, I am starting to think this is EXACTLY what the "problem" is. I did reach out to B2. I am surprised as I did watch quite a few YouTube videos with in-cab sound (using decent quality headphones), and this did not seem to be present in those vids...

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it might be worth unplugging your ANC module and getting that out of the equation. I understand that rolling the windows down is supposed to turn off the ANC, but I still had issues with mine with the window down when I had polarity reversed on one of the speakers. If you were actually having an issue with your ANC module, it could be presenting itself this way in the rpm range you mentioned.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
In cab Drone is very subjective. You can have the exact same exhaust and one person hears it, another person doesn’t.

I’m that way with any flowmaster or black widow exhaust, quiet or loud.

Straightener

Reaction score
After poking around for a while this morning (productive day at the office :cool:) I am thinking a J pipe might be in my future. I will give the complete ANC disconnect a shot as well...

silver billet

Reaction score
After looking into exhaust options myself, I'm pretty sure only the Borla's are tuned correctly for our 5th gens, with almost all others causing drone/booming noises at certain rpms and especially with MDS active. The "AWE 0FG" might also be ok.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hope to find someone with a Borla exhaust near me. I had the weld on Borla exhaust and noticed the same thing as the OP. Even with ANC removed it had a weird booming sound to it. MDS wasn't active and it was always on a certain RPM that made my question why I changed it out.

silver billet

Reaction score
Any of you try removing the resonators on stock exhaust?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hope to find someone with a Borla exhaust near me. I had the weld on Borla exhaust and noticed the same thing as the OP. Even with ANC removed it had a weird booming sound to it. MDS wasn't active and it was always on a certain RPM that made my question why I changed it out.
Now that I see someone else with the same issue (and it not being ANC), I’m guessing the chance of it being the ANC are pretty low.

Straightener

Reaction score
One update - I did de-pin/deactivate the ANC (and rechecked every clamp and clearances around the exhaust). I did not have the opportunity to take it out on the highway. I did do a quick drive around the neighborhood, and while the deep exhaust note hasn't changed, there **may** be a bit less of the "boominess" that I have been experiencing. I don't know if this is a placebo effect since I was at lower speed, but tomorrow I will know more once I get out on the highway. I know what the ANC does/the concept of how it works, I want to read a little more (if I can find it) on how (well) it was implemented in our trucks.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One update - I did de-pin/deactivate the ANC (and rechecked every clamp and clearances around the exhaust). I did not have the opportunity to take it out on the highway. I did do a quick drive around the neighborhood, and while the deep exhaust note hasn't changed, there **may** be a bit less of the "boominess" that I have been experiencing. I don't know if this is a placebo effect since I was at lower speed, but tomorrow I will know more once I get out on the highway. I know what the ANC does/the concept of how it works, I want to read a little more (if I can find it) on how (well) it was implemented in our trucks.
I don’t think it works well. Twice I’ve had it pick up on extremely loud motorcycles and it held that really loud boomy-ness (like my exhaust just got a hole knocked in it) after the bike was out of view. I’ve hever had an ANC that badly tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread