5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excessive play in the rear differential.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are threads concerning thunks, clunks etc. Not a single one that I could find (in my 3 hours of searching) dealing with a rear differential being sloppy.
I do not have any gear whine, vibrations or such, just the occasional mechanical sound of loose gears coming to contact. The forum does not like the video I shot... I will work on that...

edit: 3.92 e-locker.

Last edited:

CodeTHR33

Reaction score
I’m almost positive I saw a thread about that once but it could have been a wobble and not slack. I think I hear that sound sometimes right when I accelerate just after decelerating for a slow turn.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had hard time replicating the mechanical noise while driving but it is there.
Takes a long deceleration from 50 or so to 25 mph, then applying moderate gas, not too much and not too little and she goes "clank"...
I can see why the dealer could come back with "unable to duplicate"

airgas1998

Reaction score
does anybody know where the fill plug is on the rear diff????i see the drain on the passenger side, but no fill anywhere.... in relation to your post i guess i thought they all had some play like that...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the sound and the amount of movement it appears to be excessive ring gear backlash (pinion-to-ring gear movement). Could be insufficient pinion depth. In any case it seems excessive to me. If possible, I'd do a comparison with another known vehicle that is not exhibiting the clunk. I would say a tech. should be able to see this is a problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024248 miles.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A coworker drives a 19 with same 3.92 rear. I`ll see if I can compare with his truck.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ADDENDUM: Since I couldn't remember for sure I check an older service manual. On the older 9 1/4 corporate differentials (American Axle), the ring gear backlash is set to .003 - .004 inches. Off course, that is a little difficult to translate to how much a driveshaft will rotate, but from the video the OP posted I'd say it's a lot more than .004in.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024248 miles.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ADDENDUM: Since I couldn't remember for sure I check an older service manual. On the older 9 1/4 corporate differentials (American Axle), the ring gear backlash is set to .003 - .004 inches. Off course, that is a little difficult to translate to how much a driveshaft will rotate, but from the video the OP posted I'd say it's a lot more than .004in.

Regards,
Dusty
I believe it is little too much. Now, do I trust my local dealer to tear into it...
I am not confident they have the talent in the shop to do this right.
The "service advisers" at the front counter, where they come from? As useless as boobs on a bull...
Pardon for the rant, just don't want anyone touching my baby!

airgas1998

Reaction score
you're right it takes skill for sure to set the ring and pinion and other DL components....

TWRam

Reaction score
There are threads concerning thunks, clunks etc. Not a single one that I could find (in my 3 hours of searching) dealing with a rear differential being sloppy.
I do not have any gear whine, vibrations or such, just the occasional mechanical sound of loose gears coming to contact. The forum does not like the video I shot... I will work on that...

I have randomly heard a similar noise on mine. I'd personally call it normal. Keep in mind that the transfer case (if you have 4wd) will contribute to the noise as well. There is slop by design. Anytime you suddenly load the system, the parts will accelerate through the slop until it they all clunk tightly together. The question would be what level of clunk is normal vs abnormal.

Skymax

Reaction score

Hi, ever get this resolved? Got a '19 1500 with same exact issue since new, dealer claims it's normal - I think it needs warranty new rear end.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, ever get this resolved? Got a '19 1500 with same exact issue since new, dealer claims it's normal - I think it needs warranty new rear end.
Coworkers bighorn was just like my truck, decided to take my chances and leave it alone. Working fine at 52+k miles, anything happens, will update.

Users who are viewing this thread