5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exceeding payload Capacity

ghost796

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So long story short, I went to the landscape center to pick up some stackstone bricks for a garden wall I'm building. Made a big oops on the math and ended up exceeding my payload capacity by about 1,000 lbs. It's embarrassing because I'm also an accountant.

Drove for about 10 miles home on pavement relatively slowly. At no point did it feel like the suspension bottomed out. Unloaded everything right away. Truck feels completely fine afterwards. Is there anything I should look out for or perhaps have to get checked?

Thanks everyone!

banditsc

Reaction score
Did your air suspension say you were overloaded? That happens at about 2k lbs.

banditsc

Reaction score
Most likely no damage, I have gotten that message before to. At least you now know what to look for in the dash..

Ranger

Reaction score
The only time I've ever loaded my bed enough to cause damage was when I hauled enough grass sod that it stacked halfway up the height of my rear window. It was over 10 years ago and I can't remember what the total payload was ..... But it pinched my exhaust pipe down where it humps over the rear axle. Found out the next day when my exhaust note was noticeably different, and one of the exhaust hangers was broken and causing a terrible rattle

banditsc

Reaction score
The only time I've ever loaded my bed enough to cause damage was when I hauled enough grass sod that it stacked halfway up the height of my rear window. It was over 10 years ago and I can't remember what the total payload was ..... But it pinched my exhaust pipe down where it humps over the rear axle. Found out the next day when my exhaust note was noticeably different, and one of the exhaust hangers was broken and causing a terrible rattle
Something like the attached? Fortunately the air suspension was able to deal with it, it was just over 2k lbs.
IMG_20190222_132410.jpg

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, just like that. It was in a Chevy Avalanche. Learned my lesson. Now I use my trailer when picking up landscape projects
Ranger, I see you have quite a few mods on your RAM. Was lust wondering, but did the Vararam and the throttle body make much of a change in performance?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something like the attached? Fortunately the air suspension was able to deal with it, it was just over 2k lbs.
View attachment 28675

While I opted for the spring set for simplicity's sake, when the air suspension is working normally (which is 99%+ of the time for 99% of users I believe!) it levels with way more than one might think it does.

I'm no lawyer, but I believe one should TRY to stay within the door sticker and the limits, but if you go over?
The air suspension system is robust.

Snakes709

Reaction score
I sure hope you folks with the air suspension live in a warm climate. Thats why i traded my 2016 with air ride in for a 2019 without. The system is complete **** in the winter up here in alberta. Lost my suspension this winter and had to drive around on my bump stops until i could get a battery blanket wrapped around the valves to stop them from freezing.

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I sure hope you folks with the air suspension live in a warm climate. Thats why i traded my 2016 with air ride in for a 2019 without. The system is complete **** in the winter up here in alberta. Lost my suspension this winter and had to drive around on my bump stops until i could get a battery blanket wrapped around the valves to stop them from freezing.

I love my air ride, we have super hot summers and short super cold winters, hopefully it does alright. I knew I would encounter issues someday but I really wanted to try the air ride. we will see, Hope for the best!

Ranger

Reaction score
Ranger, I see you have quite a few mods on your RAM. Was lust wondering, but did the Vararam and the throttle body make much of a change in performance?
Hard to tell. I did the Vararam for looks and to clear out some engine bay space (also for looks). My throttle response is better, and my exhaust note is slightly louder in the lower RPM range (which I wanted/like). HP and torque affects are unknown and irrelevant to me. MPG is also unknown since I see the greatest impact to miles/tank based on what octane gas I fill up with (too many variables with other mods to tell what impact the intake and TB have on MPG).

I did the throttle body install at the same time since I already had the air inlet tube removed and the throttle body was right there taunting me to try out another mod. Figured why not?

ghost796

Reaction score
Just an update. I did end up going in for an oil change and had the dealership do an inspection on the suspension. They said everything was fine. Even addressed the HVAC tsb so I'm getting slightly cooler air now.

I guess the truck can handle 1,500 lbs over payload. I certainly wouldn't do it again though. Renting a trailer next time!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I overloaded mine by 2,675 Lbs two months ago. (1,345 Yellow Payload Sticker and 4,020Lbs on the scale. 5,960Lbs Empty then 9980Lbs Loaded) Air suspension and this new frame is more than just robust...

Users who are viewing this thread