5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ever wonder what's so complicated about computer chips?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
why does everyone always talk about labor practices? when the owners and ceo's get 1000 times what the average worker gets. we only want to share in their success, after all with out us they would have nothing.

I bring it up, because companies rarely care about the workers, it’s always about the bottom dollar.

U.S. would rather fire 10 bottom employees, and bring in 10 cheaper employees, or even hire less employees, instead of firing a manager. Then extend the deadline. It’s how it’s always been here in the U.S.

In china , they would throw all the bodies they can to complete as job, because it’s cheaper to hire workers, instead of losing a job. That’s the difference.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bring it up, because companies rarely care about the workers, it’s always about the bottom dollar.

That’s because businesses exist for one reason. To make money. Regardless of any advertising you may hear.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is enough blame to go around I think; greedy investors who only care about the next quarter, greedy ceos and management partly doubling under pressure to increase profits or else, greedy unions who insist on making most cash at the expense of the company, and yes us greedy consumers who are attracted to the next cheap toy, who get a dopamine hit everytime they purchase something new, and who insist on always having the latest and greatest.

It's a collective problem, we all made China into the economic powerhouse that it is. All good things come to an end, and so will world dominance by the west. That's a few years off yet, as long as you American's can hold onto your incredibly massive, capable and highly trained military, but even there eventually China (and or another economic power) will be too hard to ignore.

Edit: and this is why western alliances are so incredibly important, and why an attitude of "america first" while understandable, is not going to fix anything. We all need eachother's backs in one way or another. When you elect leaders, please remember that alliances, treaties, and "free trade" are required now and even more in the future.

ktl5005

Reaction score
There is enough blame to go around I think; greedy investors who only care about the next quarter, greedy ceos and management partly doubling under pressure to increase profits or else, greedy unions who insist on making most cash at the expense of the company, and yes us greedy consumers who are attracted to the next cheap toy, who get a dopamine hit everytime they purchase something new, and who insist on always having the latest and greatest.

It's a collective problem, we all made China into the economic powerhouse that it is. All good things come to an end, and so will world dominance by the west. That's a few years off yet, as long as you American's can hold onto your incredibly massive, capable and highly trained military, but even there eventually China (and or another economic power) will be too hard to ignore.

Edit: and this is why western alliances are so incredibly important, and why an attitude of "america first" while understandable, is not going to fix anything. We all need eachother's backs in one way or another. When you elect leaders, please remember that alliances, treaties, and "free trade" are required now and even more in the future.
Agreed. I’ve always said in the year 2021 it’s a world economy and everything is inter twined. It can’t be the “me” mentality anymore.

Last edited:

Hasti17

Reaction score
T
There was a 20/20 episode a few weeks ago that toured the only US chip plant. The guide said this a 10 billion dollar plant and they dont even have the technology to build the chips Apple requires. They can only be made overseas. They are working on building a new plant but it is years away.

China is going to get into the chip industry. With the US withdrawal Afghanistan I believe China is already talking to the Taliban to mine for precious metal.
Only plant? Global foundries and Foxconn both make chips stateside. But yeah you're correct about the fact that they have very little ability to compete with TSMC in the manufacturer of chips that are most intensely demanded

U

User_72751

I live in the Phoenix area and as of now Intel has just broken ground on a $20 billion chip manufacturing plant to compliment the already huge chip plant that is here and on the other side of the valley TSMC is constructing, or will be very soon, another huge chip manufacturing plant. I'm sure they will take a few years to complete but it's a step in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread