5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever turn transmission dial instead of radio dial?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I almost did this yesterday while driving. New to me truck, and I’ve never had a transmission dial for P, N, R, D. Reached over to turn the radio down and grabbed the big dial on accident.

I’m not sure if it would even allow me to turn the dial while driving, curious if anyone knows.

I love everything else about the Ram, but that selector dial is silly.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
In 1.5y never happened to me. Also while driving I use the steering wheel remote buttons anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parnine

Reaction score
Love the selector dial! You can turn it, give it a try ..... FYI - it is all electronic and proteced from 'human errors' :) - if you turn it from "D" while vehicle is in forward motion, it just goes back to "D" - no harm done. Another example, if you turn the truck off before puttin in "P", it automatically puts it in "P" for you. Days of mechnical shifters are long gone .......

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The knob is definitely a bad UI design. I haven't confused it for the radio because I literally do not listen to radio. But my brother was backing it out of driveway and wanted to switch to drive but got confused on which way to turn and dumped it into park instead. Some people it just really throws them.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but one of the major attractions to the GM twins for me was the proper column shifter, right where it's supposed to be.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my first 8-speed Ram I did grab the shifter knob a few times, but that was instead of the temperature control, not the radio. I don't remember exactly what the reaction of the vehicle was. I think it just went into neutral and didn't go into reverse. In any event nothing catastrophic happened. I THINK once you're over a certain speed it won't go anywhere but neutral.

However, I don't plan on testing it.

I've come to really appreciate the uncluttered absence of a gear shift level and have adapted quite well to the "knob."

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031506 miles.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my first Knob shift also...took a little getting used to, maybe a month or so. But the longer I drive, the more I like it. It saves a lot of center console space compared to Fords trucks. As far as column shifters in GM's, I like the cleaner look and feel of not having it there too.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very easy to get used to - and I think easier/quicker once you are used to it over traditional shifters

And frees up a ton of space !

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I almost did this yesterday while driving. New to me truck, and I’ve never had a transmission dial for P, N, R, D. Reached over to turn the radio down and grabbed the big dial on accident.

I’m not sure if it would even allow me to turn the dial while driving, curious if anyone knows.

You'll get used to it, then enjoy the fact that the big ol' transfer selector isn't on the right side of your steering column. I did it a few times backing up...laughed...then muscle memory kicked in...all good.

Bubba33

Reaction score
Third ram with it. I have more trouble going back to the wrangler looking for the dial.

Scram1500

Reaction score
On the gen 4 Tradesman it was dangerously close to the fan speed knob. This layout isn't too bad, but would rather have a floor or column shift, something that is actually connected to the transmission

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Haven't done that yet. But I do get all mixed up a lot between the three trucks I drive.
My Tacoma shift is on the floor.
My Chevy work truck is on the column.
My RAM is the dial on the dash.
I'm reaching all over the place sometimes :LOL:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. Not even in my 2014 Sport which was the first time having this option.

Now I have turned the truck off a few times without putting it in park...but it seems to help me with that now. :)

Last edited:

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. Not even in my 2014 Sport which was the first time having this option.

Now I have turned the truck off a few times with putting it in park...but it seems to help me with that now. :)

My biggest “oops” issue is remote start - and then jumping in and not hitting the start button to be allowed to drive. Cold season is pretty much over, probably won’t remote start it for a few weeks now

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Honestly, no. But I think I once did the opposite (i.e. turned the volume down instead of shifting to Park). They differ enough in size, feel, and reach that I’d have to be very distracted to confuse them.

Clyde

Reaction score
I like it with the exception of not being able to open my door when in gear/motion (example: backing onto jack/service ramps - opening your door to look back at exactly where your wheels are) when you open your door it slams it into park.

My buddy had his truck die in his garage, wouldn’t start or allow the trans to shift into neutral... tow truck had to drag it out with the wheels locked in order to tow it to the dealer.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I like it with the exception of not being able to open my door when in gear/motion (example: backing onto jack/service ramps - opening your door to look back at exactly where your wheels are) when you open your door it slams it into park.

My buddy had his truck die in his garage, wouldn’t start or allow the trans to shift into neutral... tow truck had to drag it out with the wheels locked in order to tow it to the dealer.
There is a lever to put the truck in neutral in those situations. It's to the left of the hood release behind a small panel

Also if you leave your seatbelt on it won't engage autopark

Last edited:

Clyde

Reaction score
There is lever to put the truck in neutral in those situations. It's to the left of the hood release behind a small panel

Also if you leave your seatbelt on it won't engage autopark
Ah, very cool, thanks for the heads up.

Bubba33

Reaction score

That tow truck driver was a dumb ***. They have had a release cable since 13 when the 8 speed came out.

SirLavidor

Reaction score
Not the transmission dial but I've grabbed the heater dial to turn up the volume many times and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread