5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever seen a "good" carfax that still made you worry?

Go for it or pass?

• Total voters

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been lurking since I bought my '20 Big Horn in July 2020 (that I love), and I have a burning question for you folks.

I have been looking for a while for what seems to be a rarity: low mileage used Rebel (20+) level 2 with 33gal tank and air suspension. Most of my trips involve pulling a camper. I finally found something that seems perfect, though it has one of the optional rebel bed decals that I would rather take off. Looking at the carfax though, it seems pretty suspicious: '21 Rebel sold 2/9/21 that has already had 3 owners in Texas before being sold at auction to a small town GM dealer in NC.

Owner 1
2/9/21 Title issued El Paso, TX
3/2/21 Vehicle service-inspection and oil @5,328mi
5/11/21 Vehicle service-inspection and oil @11,501mi
6/29/21 Texas safety inspection passed @14,722mi
7/2/21 Vehicle service-oil, wash and detail, electrical system checked
7/2/21 Title updated, loan released

Owner 2
7/23/21 Title updated-new owner Odessa, TX
10/30/21 Vehicle service-oil @22,835mi
11/28/21 Vehicle offered for sale @23,669mi
12/07/21 Vehicle service- Pre-delivery inspection, 80k mile service (???), wash/detail, GPS/nav install, oil change, tire balance and rotate, safety and emissions inspection @23,705mi

Owner 3
3/10/22 Title updated-new owner Seminole, TX
4/21/22 Vehicle service- inspection, air filter, fluids checked, oil, tires checked @31,569mi
8/11/22 Vehicle service- engine checked, body electrical system checked, shift linkage checked, driveshaft checked, shifter cable replaced, auto transmission shift cable adjusted @33,653mi
8/26/22 Vehicle sold-listed as dealer vehicle (auto auction)
9/9/22 Vehicle sold (auto auction)

No Owner yet
9/10/22 Vehicle offered for sale in (western) North Carolina
9/21/22 Vehicle serviced- battery/charging system checked, wipers replaced, four wheel alignment, safety inspection, oil, tires rotated, brake fluid flushed/changed @33,659mi

And now it is still for sale at that same dealer in NC. Less than 2 years on the road, 7 oil changes, and a lot of electrical checks. While it is nearly everything I am looking for, every other Rebel I have my eye on has a clean one-owner history. What do you think? Lemon with issues lurking under the hood, or standard stuff from being passed around so much? Thanks

edit: Standard Hemi V8, no etorque
I’d stay far away from that. Something is not right. My 21 Laramie started having electrical issues at 8000 miles. Finally fixed, I think after 4 dealer visits! Maybe it would be ok, but I’d pass for sure?

Limited Legend

Reaction score
That is for a commercial vehicle sold to a single business in Canada then sold to a dealership and imported to USA where it sits at the currently selling dealer. It's a 1 owner vehicle if you actually read the Carfax.
It was imported to the USA and lists the Ontario Ministry of Transportation as an owner which obviously was\is not true. It then lists the buying dealer as another owner, where it currently sits for sale
Ok

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Pretty sure Texas does not force Salvage title on Insurance total Vehicle claims.

My Sate law used to be if cost to repair was less than 50% of value, no salvage need, and a lot used car dealers woudl buy Texas wrecks. fix them up in their own body shops, show a repair charge of just less than 50% and sell it off as clean title.

Folks got wise, complained, so m State raised the requirement to 75% of value to force a salvage title.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last trip was 2600 miles over a Week's time. My brother blew his warranty of 36K miles in an S10 pickup in 6 months.
He was doing a 2 hour commute to work before he moved closer.

I have 38K on my 2021 Laramie EcoDiesel now. I have had it in the Shop once for a Trailer Steering Recall and the Rear Parking
Sensors stopped working. There is now a Recall on the CP4 HP Fuel Pump that parts will not be available until Q2 2023. I
started feeling a litle shaking in the Steering wheel at 70+ mph. Turns out the Wildpeak tire has some manufacturing Defects.

But all the Electrical issues would have me saying no.

Malodave

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I would find something else… way to new to have that many owners. Mileage wouldn’t scare me however since depending on the type of work one might do. For example in the past 5 months I went from ok city, to Cali, to Washington, back to Cali, then Louisiana for work in a short period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread