5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EVAP System Purge Solenoid Failed: Should I be worried?

z_mukamuk

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn in September of 2018. I just recently had the first oil change done at the dealership. The same day, the check engine light came on. The dealership was closed so I took it to O'Reilly's to check the code and make sure it wouldn't damage the vehicle to drive on it. The code indicated a problem with the EVAP System. I fiddled with the gas flap and the light turned off. I didn't think much of it and went on my way. Yesterday the light came back on (about 10 days after the first time) so I took it to the dealership. The did some tests on it and found that the EVAP System Purge Solenoid failed and needed replaced. This concerns me because the truck is so new. I can't believe that a part on it could fail after being in my possession for less than 6 months. I've also been frustrated with the backup camera system because sometimes the guidelines simply won't show up until the truck goes through a full power cycle (i.e. removing the battery terminals). These problems seriously have me considering trading the truck in for a Ford F-150 instead. Should I really be worried about these things, or am I blowing this way out of proportion?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Blowing way out of proportion!

A mass produced Solenoid failed, it’s under warranty it will probably never fail again.

Trade in because lines don’t show up in the center stack screen when in reverse, really?!? Have the dealership replace the front camera control module as posted in another thread to fix the lines not showing up.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Do you know what the code # was ? Going to the dealer with an evap code in mine next week, thx.

runamuck

Reaction score
happened to me yestsrday while on a trip. Am wondering if it will shut me down and leave me stranded

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn in September of 2018. I just recently had the first oil change done at the dealership. The same day, the check engine light came on. The dealership was closed so I took it to O'Reilly's to check the code and make sure it wouldn't damage the vehicle to drive on it. The code indicated a problem with the EVAP System. I fiddled with the gas flap and the light turned off. I didn't think much of it and went on my way. Yesterday the light came back on (about 10 days after the first time) so I took it to the dealership. The did some tests on it and found that the EVAP System Purge Solenoid failed and needed replaced. This concerns me because the truck is so new. I can't believe that a part on it could fail after being in my possession for less than 6 months. I've also been frustrated with the backup camera system because sometimes the guidelines simply won't show up until the truck goes through a full power cycle (i.e. removing the battery terminals). These problems seriously have me considering trading the truck in for a Ford F-150 instead. Should I really be worried about these things, or am I blowing this way out of proportion?
Since this is the first issue I've seen regarding a EVAP Purge Solenoid failure I'd say it's not a common problem. Things happen. My next door neighbor has a '18 F-150 I think he'd gladly trade you for!
Hope you resolve the camera issue.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels, now at 016978 miles

runamuck

Reaction score
no way. keeping my laramie. just made it home towing my 6000# travel trailer from the Texas hill country to DFW with check engine light on and had no trouble. got 9.3 mpg at 70 ish pulling up and down many hills. autozone and oreilly's both said part not available so took a chance and headed home.

M

Mdegen93

Just had the code pop up today. One for EVAP small leak and one for it being failed. Cleared the code and hasn’t came back in about 100 km (60 miles)

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
Have same thing and believe it’s because the gas cap less bs stops gas from pumping because the angle ...takes me 20 minutes to pump gas 2020 ram rebel 5.7 no big deal

Users who are viewing this thread