5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

etorque stalling

Dave3d

Reaction score
I'm still deciding what truck to buy. I like the ram 1500 and how it drives and the comfort of it, but reading about the issues has me scared to pull the trigger. Has the stalling issues been linked to faulty battery from facrory.....or do I just get the hemi with no etorque

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. seems like its been awhile for not having a fix
Well, if it was a concern, I'd just get it without the eTorque. But there are lots of eTorque trucks that haven't had that issue or they would have a fix. Probably about a 1% chance if that.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the e-torque, haven't had an issue with mine. There is a recall to update programming, but I'm not going to waste my time at the dealer for a problem that currently doesn't exist. You didn't say if you were looking at new or used - If you aren't looking to order a new one, you can still find Hemi non-e's on dealer lots

monza2t

Reaction score
I havent had an issue with eTorque.

Remember that these forums are a place where you see people noting problems, the people without problems dont come on and post threads "I have no problems, all is good"

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, if it was a concern, I'd just get it without the eTorque. But there are lots of eTorque trucks that haven't had that issue or they would have a fix. Probably about a 1% chance if that.
A lot less then 1% if you think about it. That would be 1 truck in every 100 sold has that problem...

ShortStack

Reaction score
I have an eTorque and have had the issue but only on cold stops - Truck not at temp and a stop sign. I have been doing some of my own testing on this and found it to be more
of a temperature issue with the transmission. If I leave the house after about a 5 minute warmup. When I get to the stop sign 3/10 of a mile away and stop as normal it will stutter.
But if I coast up to it an stop really slow it has no issue. But everything else on the truck is great. There is a TSB you can have put on it if you can find dealer that doesn't tell "NO".
I'm thinking of paying to have it put on. Also, the eT is getting me 16mpg around town - lots of stop and go so the auto start/stop payoffs.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have an eTorque and have had the issue but only on cold stops - Truck not at temp and a stop sign. I have been doing some of my own testing on this and found it to be more
of a temperature issue with the transmission. If I leave the house after about a 5 minute warmup. When I get to the stop sign 3/10 of a mile away and stop as normal it will stutter.
But if I coast up to it an stop really slow it has no issue. But everything else on the truck is great. There is a TSB you can have put on it if you can find dealer that doesn't tell "NO".
I'm thinking of paying to have it put on. Also, the eT is getting me 16mpg around town - lots of stop and go so the auto start/stop payoffs.
Have you check your trans fluid?

I found mine was over filled from the factory a decent amount.
After letting it drain out (from the fill plug) it seems to run a bit better for me.

There are a few updates you can have done on the eTorque system free of charge at the dealership. Even my 2022 had 1 or 2 updates to be applied.

Jake2544

Reaction score
I have a 2022 G/T with e torque that had a bad stalling and bucking issue. It happened several times from the time of purchase until recently. They reflashed the PCM with updated firmware for the stalling issue and I haven’t had a problem in the past 1K miles. I now have 5400 miles on it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. seems like its been awhile for not having a fix
There are fixes for the stalling, it has been reported many times. There are different updates depending on the situation. PCM, TCM,and BPCM all have updates for small concerns

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

After letting it drain out (from the fill plug) it seems to run a bit better for me.

There are a few updates you can have done on the eTorque system free of charge at the dealership. Even my 2022 had 1 or 2 updates to be applied.
How overfilled was it?

Dave3d

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I am looking at used, many that are not on a ram dealership. What type of warranty should I ask for??

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I am looking at used, many that are not on a ram dealership. What type of warranty should I ask for??
Whatever you are happy with and can actually get

A good build car\truck shouldn't need a warranty.
I would avoid 2019s (first year of 5th gen model) and get 2020+ if possible.

Jennwebster33

Reaction score

Do you know which updates you had done on your 2022....mine stalled and seems to run jerky but the dealership did nothing saying it is not eligible for any updates.

Thanks!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 TSB's were recently released for 2022 DT for improved shifting and ESS restarts.

Attachments

• tsb pcm.pdf
    693.7 KB · Views: 27
  • tsb tcm.pdf
    693.9 KB · Views: 21

Jennwebster33

Reaction score
Z49 Hybrid Control Processor HCP update

View attachment 145976
View attachment 145975
Thanks! It seems all the updates are for Hemi etorques and not V6. I really have no clue about the difference when it comes to the electronics. If it states Hemi, anyone know if these updates would work for the V6's. Frustrating that after 2 other Ram trucks with only minimal issues, I now have a brand new one that I feel like I am going to crash at any moment.

Jennwebster33

Reaction score
2 TSB's were recently released for 2022 DT for improved shifting and ESS restarts.
Thank you, these are also stating for the HEMIs but I have a V6. I am supposed to be driving the service manager around Friday so he can experience what I experience (insert eye roll) but of course I am sure they will say it is nothing and I highly doubt it will stall in the 5 minutes he is in the truck with me but I am going to show him these two TSBs. I am sure he will say it is not valid for my V6 engine and I cannot seem to find anyone with a V6 that has had updates to their trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread