5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque question: Can you 'feel' your eTorque system regenerating the battery when you're coasting to a stop?

PeterTX

Reaction score
In other words does it feel like it's braking a little bit or do you not notice at all?

I definitely notice something on my 3.6 etorque but I'm wondering if it's by design or a symptom of another problem. Sometimes when coasting to a stop I feel a braking force a little bit for like 2 or 3 seconds. Normal? Not normal?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, it does feel like it's braking when you coast to a stop. I drove an eTorque equipped truck, right after I drove one without. It was quite noticeable.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve noticed no difference from my 2017 non eTorque Ram

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In other words does it feel like it's braking a little bit or do you not notice at all?

I definitely notice something on my 3.6 etorque but I'm wondering if it's by design or a symptom of another problem. Sometimes when coasting to a stop I feel a braking force a little bit for like 2 or 3 seconds. Normal? Not normal?
Very slightly. It might be more noticeable on certain trucks than others (lighter trucks with fewer options, 3.21 vs 3.92 downshifts, etc.).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I notice it and my truck is 6300 lbs, on the heavier side...
Some people are just more in tune to their truck and the way it performs.
I know. I’m one of ‘em! I’ve heard and felt every time my truck has gone in and out of MDS in 5 years, too. Maybe comes with growing up on a farm and being around machines. Like I said, the regen is very slight.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I last tested it in a 2021 with the 5.7 using an OBD tool and app to actually MONITOR the voltage/amps going into the battery pack, coasting did absolutely nothing with eTorque... you HAD to apply at least a touch of brake pressure for the regenerative braking to take effect (which makes sense from an efficiency standpoint - coasting is more efficient than regen braking). But no, it was not actually noticeable in terms of braking feel. Max regen was close to13 kW.

People posting in here solely by "feel" have no idea what their truck is doing. You need to look at the OBD data to truly know.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I last tested it in a 2021 with the 5.7 using an OBD tool and app to actually MONITOR the voltage/amps going into the battery pack, coasting did absolutely nothing with eTorque... you HAD to apply at least a touch of brake pressure for the regenerative braking to take effect (which makes sense from an efficiency standpoint - coasting is more efficient than regen braking). But no, it was not actually noticeable in terms of braking feel. Max regen was close to13 kW.

People posting in here solely by "feel" have no idea what their truck is doing. You need to look at the OBD data to truly know.
And you have no idea how eTorque works.
There has been several firmware revisions way after 2021s came out that changes how it activates, start\stop too.

I am curious how you think you can monitor the voltage going into the battery, considering you are charging the 48v and not the 12v. Nothing I have ever seen anything that even shows the change state of the 48v battery.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Mine does it. I've got to feather the brake pedal to keep from stopping a mile and a half behind the car in front of me or to keep from hitting it.

Cool Dad

Reaction score
Yes it feels like something is dragging a bit when you coast. Works great for freeway commuting once you get the hang of it.

PeterTX

Reaction score
Thanks all, was hoping it was a symptom of my noisy cold start but sounds like most of you are saying it's totally normal.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And you have no idea how eTorque works.
There has been several firmware revisions way after 2021s came out that changes how it activates, start\stop too.

I am curious how you think you can monitor the voltage going into the battery, considering you are charging the 48v and not the 12v. Nothing I have ever seen anything that even shows the change state of the 48v battery.
Did you read what I wrote? Apparently not. You CAN monitor the power going into the 48V battery with an OBD device and smartphone app.

Attachments

• IMG_3526.jpg
    IMG_3526.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread